News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Triumph 675 in LW classes!!!!????  

Started by johnny scheff, December 14, 2005, 02:06:10 PM

Grover

While the Daytona DOES have the big HP, it doesn't have contingency, aftermarket support.  Hell, even though British Superbike has expanded it's supersport class (MW to us) to allow 675cc, Triumph still hasn't resurrected Team Valmoto (sponsored in part by Penthouse).  What does the AMA rules say?  Are 3 cylinder bikes allowed in supersport?

If a couple people start seriously racing them, they will get bumped up to Middleweight.  A concern for most racers though, would be the contingency money NOT received because they placed lower than they normally do.  And if it happens on a Suzuki or Kawasaki contingency weekend, there would be some major drama if they stole first, which has some high payout (so I've heard).

johnny scheff

It was bad enough with Kern running his BMW in the LW classes last year.  Anyone have an idea of the HP & weight of those/his bike?

A stock BMW R1100S weighs over 500 lbs wet,  and makes just under 100 HP.  There is almost nothing that can be done to substantially improve power on that bike.

oldguy

Uh, Mr. Key. The 675 is my age handicap rule when I have to race against you.  :o

stk0308

QuoteNaw, just rambling thoughts. I'm trying to figure out what aftermarket parts will fit. For instance the rearsets look like R1, but I can't be sure. The delivery schedule doesn't leave much time to get it in race trim, and that comment in the brochure threw me for a minute. Is the shock Japanese or Triumph from the 650? So many questions, so few answers.
Ah, sorry I didn't understand where you were going with that thought originally.

Hinkley Triumph has a history of using Kayaba, and occationally Showa, suspension pieces, both front and rear on many of their line.  I can't recall them ever actually sourcing sporting tackle from anywhere in Europe.  I know, big help when trying to figure out what's on the 675.  Sorry.  :-/  The Kiehain injection system should make things somewhat easier on tuning atleast.  Hopefully Triupmh has allowed some aftermarket manufacturers an advanced peek at the bike so they can get some parts in the pipeline soon.  Especially for their British Supersport entires.
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

stk0308

QuoteWhile the Daytona DOES have the big HP, it doesn't have contingency, aftermarket support.  Hell, even though British Superbike has expanded it's supersport class (MW to us) to allow 675cc, Triumph still hasn't resurrected Team Valmoto (sponsored in part by Penthouse).  What does the AMA rules say?  Are 3 cylinder bikes allowed in supersport?

Don't expect Team Valmoto to re-appear any time soon.  Mr Valantine is still in the employ of Foggy/Petronas for atleast another season.

AMA has said what it always says when shown something different....they don't allow it.  Supersport is 600cc, doesn't matter what number of cylinders you run.
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Racingxtc7

I remember asking the same questions when the Buells were allowed in LW!!! The XB12 is a 92hp 390lbs bike allowed in LW. Plus, I HIGHLY doubt the 675 will have over a 100hp. When the R6 first came out yamaha claimed 120hp and it only made 95hp at the wheel.

roadracer162

QuoteI remember asking the same questions when the Buells were allowed in LW!!! The XB12 is a 92hp 390lbs bike allowed in LW. Plus, I HIGHLY doubt the 675 will have over a 100hp. When the R6 first came out yamaha claimed 120hp and it only made 95hp at the wheel.

"You mean my '91 FZR600 has as much power as an R6? Not even close. My FZR has more like 75 HP. If the Daytona is allowed then I will ask for the same on the FZR and there is no contigency for the FZR.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

H-man

QuoteFill out the rest of your profile. I can't tell where you are from, LOL

;D  The only identifier missing from my profile is my age  ;)

I'm right here.   In Royal Oak, MI (a NW suburd of Detroit).
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Grover

QuoteAh, sorry I didn't understand where you were going with that thought originally.

Hinkley Triumph has a history of using Kayaba, and occationally Showa, suspension pieces, both front and rear on many of their line.  I can't recall them ever actually sourcing sporting tackle from anywhere in Europe.  I know, big help when trying to figure out what's on the 675.  Sorry.  :-/  The Kiehain injection system should make things somewhat easier on tuning atleast.  Hopefully Triupmh has allowed some aftermarket manufacturers an advanced peek at the bike so they can get some parts in the pipeline soon.  Especially for their British Supersport entires.

Honestly, most aftermarket companies will not even bother with making special parts for the 675.  The market just isn't there.  If something that fits another make bolts on, the companies will provide coverage, if they even know it bolts up.  Racers need to be able to easily and inexpensively get replacement levers, pedals, etc. With Triumphs right now, the only option is ordering from a dealer.

Grover

QuoteDon't expect Team Valmoto to re-appear any time soon.  Mr Valantine is still in the employ of Foggy/Petronas for atleast another season.

AMA has said what it always says when shown something different....they don't allow it.  Supersport is 600cc, doesn't matter what number of cylinders you run.

Thanks for the info :)  I just remember Valmoto being sponsored in part by Penthouse, and they managed a 3rd place finish at the last race of the season a couple years ago.  That was when I bought my Speed Four so I kept track of the BSB races.  

AMA should be more open than that, but that is off topic.   They are shutting out Ducati and Triumph just because their bikes aren't the same as the Japanese brands.  

stk0308

QuoteThanks for the info :)  I just remember Valmoto being sponsored in part by Penthouse, and they managed a 3rd place finish at the last race of the season a couple years ago.  That was when I bought my Speed Four so I kept track of the BSB races.  
I recall the Penthouse sponsorship too.  Made for some nice 'broily babe' pics on their website.

Actually Craig Jones won the final race he ran for Valmoto Triumph.  He placed 2nd on a Honda for the season this year, and has just signed to ride for Foggy in World Superbike.  The lad is a charger to be sure.
QuoteAMA should be more open than that, but that is off topic.   They are shutting out Ducati and Triumph just because their bikes aren't the same as the Japanese brands.  
Yup.  Too bad they don't observe what goes on in just about every other Pro series in the world in this case.
Steven

Thumper881

Does anyone remember when the XB-9 was legal in ultra light . I complained from day 1. It didn't change things. After the season was over,CCS looked over the results and changed the rules. Every race it was in ,it won. Duh ! I believe on average there was a 30hp diff. My take on this is until there are stats to prove that the Triumph has an advantage nothing is going to change. In my case the Buell riders (winners) were different at most races. So they didn't effect the overall championship. Time will tell.
 PS. Nates biggest advantage was his ability to ride. Unfortionatly his ego was even bigger...