News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Making supersport...supersport

Started by damico, December 09, 2005, 05:34:46 PM

grasshopper

QuoteThe AMA claiming rule, as it stands, does NOT allow for other riders to claim bikes from other teams.

The claiming rule only allows AMA Pro Racing to claim the bike for that price--which will never happen, so they might as well take that provision out.

I'm sorry man, but WTF does that have to do with 9 to 5, 40 to 50 hour working Club racing folks? ???

WebCrush

QuoteI was reading the AMA rule book yesterday, and came across this claiming rule.  It said that the ammount was the price of the bike new plus $1500.  Does this mean I can go to an AMA race and get myself a factory supersport r6 for $11,000?

Grasshopper--i was jut replying to this statement.

grasshopper

QuoteGrasshopper--i was jut replying to this statement.

OH! Grasshopper not read good enough....

Long thread, Lots to read!

I'll read more carefully next time :-X

Where's Damico at, someone call him and tell him to sign on to the internet...

Super Dave

QuoteThe AMA claiming rule, as it stands, does NOT allow for other riders to claim bikes from other teams.

The claiming rule only allows AMA Pro Racing to claim the bike for that price--which will never happen, so they might as well take that provision out.

2005 AMA rule book - page 20 section 17

Supersport and Superstock claiming rules...

The AMA used to claim the Daytona Supersport bike and sell it...usually it was always sold before hand...You could go to someone in the AMA and get it done...
Super Dave

dicatirider944

Instead of claiming the bike just make it the engine.  Isn't that the real part of the bike in question?  All else is pretty easy to see by the visual eye?  We have a local 1/2 mile track where I live and anyone can claim the engine of the guy that wins for $500.00.  It is supposed to be hobby stock racing and the engines aren't supposed to be worth much.  Make it a realistic number for what you can get a good salvaged motoer for. And have it decrease by age. IE: first generation $2500.00 second generation $1750.00 third generation $1250.00 Are you really going to want to sink $2500.00 into a cheater motor if someone can walk away with your motor?  Make it so places 1,2,3 can lose ther engines. I don't know if the payout prices are right here but you get the idea.  If you want to do engine work and all kinds of mods, come play with the big boys in superbike class.  There will be enough guys kicking your A$$ on superstock bikes and you have nothing to B1TCH about, you were out rode.  It goes back to the 80/20 rule the fast guys will be fast. It doesn't matter what you make them set on, they have natural talent and can ride!

fourandsix

You can't claim a engine , how would you find one quick enough? it would have to be the whole bike

dicatirider944

QuoteYou can't claim a engine , how would you find one quick enough? it would have to be the whole bike

Yeah your right, I could find a bike much quicker than just an engine, what was I thinking???

LMAO

Steviebee

Quotehttp://www.katechengines.com/corporate_services/whistler.php

For a start....

You said displacement.   This is for compression ratio.    :(

Super Dave

Super Dave

Zac

How many people would REALLY want a bike claiming rule in club level motorcycle racing.  Guess what - someone might claim YOUR bike, either because they think you're cheating, or they just trashed their bike and need one quick, or they are just an ass.

People put a lot of time and work into SS legal bikes, so it's not just a question about the money that went into it. It's about the setup and developement time.  

How about the guy with the really nice paintjob (as SD says its about promoting an image...)?  No impact on performance, but someone might have put a lot of hours or dollars into it.  Or the guy that has his street bodywork at home and puts it back on between races, he could lose his street ride.

I personally have a lot of time invested into my bikes, its often hard to come to selling them.  I would not want the possibility of someone swiping it out from under me for some fixed price.

Sure, the risk of losing your bike is part of racing (crashes, mechanicals, theft, etc.), but would you really want claiming added to that list.

An engine claiming rule might work for club level NASCAR guys, because the should all have pretty much the same engines anyway, you could claim one an bolt it into your car.  It isn't that simple with bikes.  Maybe in a spec class, but not in a true supersport class.

-z

K3 Chris Onwiler

It seems to me that supersport is just silly.  Any bike is eligible for supersport, superbike, gp, gt, and maybe a sportsman class.  Now if you run a truly legal bike in supersport, you'll be outgunned in all the other classes.  Once you step up from supersport, you can run slicks, an alternative fork setup, better brakes, whatever wheels you want, and build up your motor.  Even though I never had the money for a full-house superbike, I've usually modified my bikes as much as I could afford, and just skipped supersport.
Running F40, I was forced to have a supersport legal setup.  My competitors WERE NOT running supersport legal bikes.  I sat at an engine builder where I worked part-time and assisted as 2 of my competitor's bikes went together with illegal parts.  (You'd be SHOCKED if you knew who these thoroughly respectable ambassadors of racing were!)  Then my engine builder had me stand between my bike and one just like it with hot cams.  He started each, and showed me how to hear the difference.  I did the same test on the false grid later.  Without a doubt, I was racing against bikes like mine that were equipped with hot cams.  Why didn't I protest?  First off, how would the CCS staff have even proved if I was right or wrong?  Second, who really wants to be branded as the whiner who protests people?
Knowing all this, I'd have cheated with a clear concience if I could have afforded it.  But those who know me also realize that I've been known to race on junkyard motors and other people's takeoff tires, so where would I have come up with the money for cams and an overbore?
The point is, why would anyone build a bike just for supersport, then get beaten in all the other classes?  Why not just do away with supersport and run simple displacement rules that are easily enforced?  At least then everyone could be creative without cheating!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

WebCrush