Making supersport...supersport

Started by damico, December 09, 2005, 05:34:46 PM

Super Dave

Kevin's a reasonable man.  

It's still probably easier to focus with individual written proposals.  Get riders to support it and go from there.

Even if most riders don't support it, does it matter.  There have been changes in CCS that were clearly based on complaints from the minority and a lack of complaining from the majority.

Supersport has always been based around the concept of being production based (for street bikes) with some modifications.  

Jason, write it up, even if it's not completely done, and get me a copy.  Run with it.
Super Dave

fourandsix

I think it would be impossible to have any sort of elaborate tech inspection after the races. People would still be at the track monday morning waiting the outcome. Put in a claiming rule for all supersport classes.Complete bike can be claimed for the OEM list price plus $5000. If someone wants to run a F2 in 600 supersport and it's not competitive tough, get a new bike. Why should i add weight to my bike because someone doesn't want to buy a new model.

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

I'm game! Great Idea. I forgot about the old AMA claiming rule. It keeps everyone legit in case they might lose their bike.
What happens if someone doesn't give up their bike?
Disqualification of all points and 1 year licence suspension?
-Farrell
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

Super Dave

QuoteI think it would be impossible to have any sort of elaborate tech inspection after the races. People would still be at the track monday morning waiting the outcome. Put in a claiming rule for all supersport classes.Complete bike can be claimed for the OEM list price plus $5000. If someone wants to run a F2 in 600 supersport and it's not competitive tough, get a new bike. Why should i add weight to my bike because someone doesn't want to buy a new model.

Wisdom.

Bingo!

Jason...thoughts?
Super Dave

There still needs to be supersport rules on what is allowed and what isn't.
Jason was getting at trick parts needed to be not allowed.
The claiming rule works but there still needs to be rules on the table for what is allowed or not.
I mean NOS still shouldn't be allowed for power right?
Honestly I like the AMA supersport rule format with the claiming rule imposed.
-Farrell
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

steelcityracer

I was reading the AMA rule book yesterday, and came across this claiming rule.  It said that the ammount was the price of the bike new plus $1500.  Does this mean I can go to an AMA race and get myself a factory supersport r6 for $11,000?

There are a few stipulations to that rule I believe. You also have to supply all the stock original parts with that.
Don't plan on keeping any friends in the AMA!
The is a name pick situation that happens. I believe only the AMA can choose to put your bike up to claim if THEY want to. Then anyone who wants to claim the bike puts their name forth and the names go in a pool. Whoever gets picked out of a hat or something like that gets the bike.

You can't choose to just buy a riders bike. You must also be a AMA Rider in that class to claim it.
-Farrell

steelcityracer

Not that I planned on doing that.  It just seemed strange to me that you could claim a bike for probably less than a third of what it is worth.

Super Dave

Worth?

Try selling that bike for $33k.

As for the AMA...

How many of the upper level teams are "friendly", per se...they have jobs they need to ensure.  No reason why they want everyone to have access to that stuff that they get and the stuff that they develop.

That's another story.

Super Dave

grasshopper

Jason????

Read IT!!!

Write it up Jason...

Lets read it! Let's hear it!

WebCrush

The AMA claiming rule, as it stands, does NOT allow for other riders to claim bikes from other teams.

The claiming rule only allows AMA Pro Racing to claim the bike for that price--which will never happen, so they might as well take that provision out.

WebCrush

QuoteNot that I planned on doing that.  It just seemed strange to me that you could claim a bike for probably less than a third of what it is worth.

fwiw, most AMA teams sell their previous year bikes for much less than what you would think it costs.  The true 'value' of a bike is in its development work, testing, etc but you can't put a number on that and expect someone else to pay for the R&D.