News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Making supersport...supersport

Started by damico, December 09, 2005, 05:34:46 PM

r6_philly

QuoteI've got a couple of answers to that.

First, I don't have the income that other people do, so, my first answer is that I, and even some other people, can't afford the cost of cheating.

Then, the other side, is that some might feel that cheating might not be honorable.  

I suppose. But I do see many people cheating, and some don't even know it.

Well I haven't raced supersport in a good 2 years so I wouldn't know what to say about that lol

Super Dave

QuoteI really don't see a lot of need for supersport classes in club racing.  Most of the top guys are winning superbike races on supersport legal bikes (or 1000cc classes on 600s).  How much of an avantage are SB aftermarket forks over a set of SS legal OEM forks with $2k aftermarket cartridges?  We already have too many classes that are run by the same people on the same bikes.  Just eliminate the supersport classes.-z.

Cost.

If you want to attract new riders, one needs a reasonble set of rules that are consice and obtainable.  I believe that Supersport should be a reasonable class that focuses on set up.

Superbike?  Has anyone been motored?  It does happen that riders that have a lesser set up and even potentially are lesser riders can go faster because of hopped up machines.  

And the extra classes create a needed thing called revenue for racing organizations.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteI suppose. But I do see many people cheating, and some don't even know it.

Many?  So, like six out of ten?  Or are we talking about assembly/technical issues...incorrect number size...
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quotedon't think you can make an older bike more competitive?  remember what Barney did with an F2 seriously worked over a few years back.

I raced F2's.  

Has Barney only won in Thunderbike on F2's?  If he has, then it was all the bike...but...
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quotei went faster on my 1k than on my 600, back to back at the same event by several seconds.

Track?
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteAnother issue - how do you deal with the "special" bikes?

-z.

Isn't that covered in the current rules?
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteIn the last few years, the 'fast' times for a top level SS prepped bike has dropped 2-3 seconds.

Rider, tires, HP, track, or set up?

Super Dave

WebCrush

QuoteRider, tires, HP, track, or set up?

same track layout and rider. tires and hp maybe.

back in 2001 top times overall were 13's.  (wood, greenwood, chouniard).  this year 11s were the norm for those top guys

Super Dave

QuoteRules that are more strict can help and hurt at the same time. The thought that a more strict rule book will stop cheating and make racing more affordable is unrealistic. I think the current CCS rule structure is not all that bad. Why are there almost NEVER any protests? I know this is a never ending arguement, but this is just my two cents.  

I'm with ya, Tommy.

Racing isn't affordable, but it can be maintained to something.  Remove Supersport, and I'm sure that there will be more that find a way to have higher HP engines that might allow those riders and advantage that they could not attain in other ways.  

No protests?  Risk.  It's expensive enough to race, but the cost of protesting, which needs to be relatively specific and the inspectors need to be capable of recognizing the potential infraction, makes that risk higher.  

And then, when caught, the riders that have been shown to be illegal have been given relatively light punishments, in my opinion...
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quotesame track layout and rider. tires and hp maybe.

back in 2001 top times overall were 13's.  (wood, greenwood, chouniard).  this year 11s were the norm for those top guys

I think Jeff is refining his riding and going better?  I think most tire manufacturers have gone through a couple of tire design changes since 2001.  Thoughts?
Super Dave

WebCrush

maybe, but Scott has stayed right there with jeff.  In fact, Scott still holds the club record when he got the new R6.

Super Dave

Quoteback in 2001 top times overall were 13's.  (wood, greenwood, chouniard).  this year 11s were the norm for those top guys

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=23206

Given the money available here...

I'm not sure if I'd say that 11's are the norm.  You got another link?

I counted one 11 (tires?), and six 12's.  
Super Dave