New R6 front # plate placement Questions?

Started by edge23, December 05, 2005, 08:05:19 PM

edge23

This may be a dumb question but with the new R6 it will require a number plate either on one side or the other for the front of the bike due to the ram air. So my question is which side does CCS require it on, on the front? Does this requirement coincide with other orgs so I only have to paint one side or the other for the front number plate.

G-reg

Depends on the track!

The number plate has to be on the same side as the scoring tower.. I had to change the number plates on my rc51 from side to side pretty much every weekend.  Or you can put it above the air intake and half on the windshield if you don't want to keep switching it.
--Greg
MW EX#84

edge23

Looking at the race bodywork that most likely won't be an option.

extrakt0r

I would say the Left Side is your best bet..

Thinking back, Blackhawk is the only track where the scoring tower in on the Right in the MW if Memory Serves...

RA, MAM, HPT, Hallett, Gingerman, Autobahn South & North, Barber all are on the Left Side of the Track...

Blackhawk is the only track that has to tower on the right...

If Memory Serves...  ;)
Mike Simone
CCS/ASRA Great Plains EX #619
www.teamsimoneracing.com

2005 CCS AM Unlimited GP Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperBike Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperSport Champion

edge23

That sounds about right and thats most of the tracks I would go to anyways. I asked the same question onthe CRA forum to the BoD and they all said the same thing left side is fine not only that but scoring usually looks at the tail for numbers anyways.

stk0308

I would think looking around at RC51s, ZX10Rs and ZX6R(RR)s would be a good guide, as they've had central ram air for a few years now.
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

H-man

Edge,

Given where you live, I'm guessing that WERA isn't one of the race orgs you're concerned about.  But, if you should choose to enter a WERA event, they're changing thier rule.   Starting 2006, the front numbers MUST be in the center.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

tzracer

I use rc51 bodywork on my SV. I put white background on the lower half of the windshield and put the numbers above the ram air. The rules state that the numbers on the front have to be on the side for scoring. Speaking with the scorers in our region, they mostly use the front plate for scoring. If you do not have the numbers on the correct side you may not pass tech or get scored.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

edge23

I would like to run a couple of WERA events so thats good to know. I don't know how they are going to require number plates in the front when the front is taken up by a gaping ram air hole though and its not just he R6.
I ran an R1 for the last couple of years and did put white vinyl on the windshiled however again the new R6 does not have much frontal area, I would almost be putting vinyl over the whole windscreen.

H-man

You may wish to post your question over on the WERA board to find out what other '06 R6-ers will be doing about thier front plate.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

edge23

I'll do that in the next day or so. Thanks for all the responses I appreciate your help
Sean

H-man

Edge,

Here's the answer for you.

But, I believe your concern for space is based on the photos of the '06 in street body work.  Take a good look at Yammi's M1 (their GP bike).  It too has the centered ram air inlet, but the plastic above it rises to roughly where the side mirrors would be placed.  The size of the windscreen is much less on the M1.

So.... my guess is that most of the mfgrs of race plastic for the '06 R6 will follow the patten of the M1.  If this happens and you plan on using race plastic instead of street skins, then you s/b good to go.

Centering the front number is the common placement location for all the orgs.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)