News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

hmmph....

Started by tstruyk, December 05, 2005, 07:30:36 AM

tstruyk

http://www.formulausa.com/articleDetail?id=Article.2005-12-03.5034

re:  great plains

might as well make it in Georgia...its abouth the same drive and is about as much IN the great plains as WI is...

I know its much easier to hold it as a combined event... I dont like calling for dinner reservations let alone organizing a banquet, but it was much nicer when it was in st louis... I could take a cab home if I needed too!!  ::)

pity the folks further west of me... long way to go for dinner

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

extrakt0r

Yeah, no crap...Oh well one more 10 hour drive isn't going to kill me...

But I'll be sleeping in the new Toyhauler that weekend...  ;D

Screw paying the Hotel...
Mike Simone
CCS/ASRA Great Plains EX #619
www.teamsimoneracing.com

2005 CCS AM Unlimited GP Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperBike Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperSport Champion

Mark Bernard

Lake Lawn Lodge is a really cool place. Gaurented a awsome time.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

tstruyk

oh dont get me wrong.. I am sure it will be!  I am just a lil sour that its not in my back yard this year!   ::)

this way I actually have to make a decision if I am going or not!  Should at least be a nice turnout with both regions represented... the awards portion will be LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG (and unfortunately COMPLETELY uneventful as for my personal accolades)  but it'll be nice to see everyone again!  you can never keep everyone happy and in this case its me!  ;D
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

CCS

Unfortunately it was simple logistics, the majority of the Awards for GP this year were/are going to riders who also placed in the Mid-West series. Sorry.

2006 will change that and I'm sure that Dean and his crew will host something around KC or Omaha to pay out 2006 hardware.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

fourandsix

Kevin call me if you get a chance . Jim
847-763-9900

Xian_13

QuoteYeah, no crap...Oh well one more 10 hour drive isn't going to kill me...

But I'll be sleeping in the new Toyhauler that weekend...  ;D

Screw paying the Hotel...

Just to let you know...
It was a low of -6 there today.
So bring an extra blanket.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Super Dave

Super Dave

Protein Filled

Yes, Ice bikes are coming! BTW, I think we'll be riding up here within the next 2 weeks!
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Super Dave

I think we'll be riding this weekend.
Super Dave

Protein Filled

Hmm, I would not trust the ice yet, specially with the bikes. If you get a few bikes out there, you can wear out 5 to 6 inches of ice, which means you end up riding around a lot of holes where the water comes through. Once that happens it's a bit wet and uncomfortable!  ;)

It's -4 outside right now, with a wind chill of 24 below, so the ice factory is working full time right now!
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Super Dave

Wind chill won't help, but...

How's that go...

Every hour the temperature is 15 degrees or below, one inch of ice is created.

Super Dave

Jeff

QuoteEvery hour the temperature is 15 degrees or below, one inch of ice is created.

Take out water temp factors, UV from sun exposure, insulation from snow, etc and perhaps...  but in the real (read - sinking to the bottom of a murky lake and drowning) world, I highly doubt you'll get an inch an hour of ice...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Protein Filled

Yeah, if that was true, then we would have like 6 feet of ice by now. It has been below 15 for the last 4 days around here!

tzracer

QuoteWind chill won't help, but...

Wind chill itself will not help, but wind will. Air is a poor conductor of heat, with no wind, the air at the water surface would act as an insulator slowing the cooling of the water and hence the creation of ice. Wind will prevent this from happening.

QuoteHow's that go...

Every hour the temperature is 15 degrees or below, one inch of ice is created.

That sounds way to simple. First the rate of ice formation will depend upon the temperature difference (delta T) between the air and the water. The larger the difference the quicker ice will be formed.

Water has one of the highest heat capacities (1 calorie/gram degree Celcius = 1 cal/g*C) and air has heat capacity about 4.3 times smaller (0.23 cal/g*C).

ASIDE : a calorie and a Calorie are not the same. A Calorie is a dietary calorie - the ones listed on the lable. A Calorie = 1000*calorie.

The density of water is 1 g/cc (one gram per cubic centimeter) and the density of air is 0.00129 g/cc. So to lower one cc of water one degree C, 3,354 cc (3.354 liters since 1 cc = 1 milliliter, so 1000 cc = 1 liter) of air would have to drop 1 degree C. This works until the water is 0 C = 32 F. Now to freeze water, the latent heat of fusion is 80 cal/g, so to freeze one cc of water the air must remove 80 calories. So 27,130 cc or 27.13 liters of air would have to drop 1 degree C to freeze one cc of water.

So it takes a significant amount of cold air to freeze a relatively small amount of water. This is why living near a large body of water such as Lake Michgan can have a significant effect on the air temperature.

Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

tzracer

QuoteTake out water temp factors, UV from sun exposure, insulation from snow, etc and perhaps...  but in the real (read - sinking to the bottom of a murky lake and drowning) world, I highly doubt you'll get an inch an hour of ice...

I would think that IR radiation would have a more significant effect than UV radiation.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

I'm riding my TTR90 on Saturday...  

:P
Super Dave