Winterize surprise

Started by dicatirider944, November 19, 2005, 07:41:02 AM

dicatirider944

I have an 01' GSX-R 750.  I went to winterize it and change the oil.  When I removed the drain plug I was left a litte surprise.  About 1/2 the threads came out with the drain plug.  Has this happend to anyone else?  I have two options I was considering. I was thinking about helicoiling the pan but was wondering if oil would seep through the helicoil? or option two was to remove the pan drill it out and retap it for a larger drain plug, but didn't know if there was enough meat to the pan to do either of these.  Any suggestions???

K3 Chris Onwiler

Use thread sealer on the helicoil when you install it into the pan.  Take the pan off and drill for the helicoil on a drill press, to be sure that the helicoil threads are absolutely square to the machined edge that the sealing washer for the drain plug rides against.  
Oh, wait....  Actually, the bike is ruined.  I'll give you $200 for it, just to be helpful. ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

QuoteI Any suggestions???

Don't change the oil...

We're really full of it today....

LOL, well, not just today...
Super Dave

dicatirider944

Oh, wait....  Actually, the bike is ruined.  I'll give you $200 for it, just to be helpful. ;D

Chris......Cool, but you have to throw in an autographed copy of highside saying "Brad is a god to the motorcyle racing community!" LMAO

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteChris......Cool, but you have to throw in an autographed copy of highside saying "Brad is a god to the motorcyle racing community!" LMAO
DEAL!  I have the book and the sharpie.  There's gas in the truck, and the trailer is ready to roll.  I'll pick up the $200 at an ATM on the way.  I can leave RIGHT NOW!  What was your address again?
 ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

K3 Chris Onwiler

Man, I miss my 2000 750 a ton.  Last night, my wife and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie.  The summoning charm keyword is "Azzio."  For example, Harry wants his broomstick, so he says "Azzio Firebolt!"  All day long, I've been walking around the house saying, "Azzio Gixxer!"  No bike so far, but I HAVE managed to thoroughly annoy the wife....

Woofentino Pugrossi

Hot glue is your best friend. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Jeff

A new OEM oil pan is less than $100...

I'd try to find one used for $20 and then go the new route if I had to.  But that's just me.  ::)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

TommyG

QuoteA new OEM oil pan is less than $100...

I'd try to find one used for $20 and then go the new route if I had to.  But that's just me.  ::)
I agree with Jeff. If I was a tech inspector and saw any sign of drain plug repair, you`d be going for a refund!!

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteI agree with Jeff. If I was a tech inspector and saw any sign of drain plug repair, you`d be going for a refund!!
Or you could properly repair the pan with a helicoil, which into an aluminum pan would be stronger than original.... ::)

dicatirider944

QuoteA new OEM oil pan is less than $100...

Didn't realize I could get one this cheap.  This sounds like the best option.  I will check ebay for a stolen one!  Any other places I should check?

TommyG

Anyone that builds motors has guys coming in with blown apart cases which usually results in extra parts.
Check with greg moon. 414 716 0005   10-6
Last time I was there I know he had one. Check oem cost first so you know a good used price.