Why is it so hard...

Started by EX#996, November 18, 2005, 04:55:47 PM

EX#996

... to pick the colors for the house?

I know what window manufacturer ...
I know what siding type ....
I know when ....

It's choosing the colors that's driving me nuts....

sigh,

;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Green_Knight

spyderchick

Quote... to pick the colors for the house?

I know what window manufacturer ...
I know what siding type ....
I know when ....

It's choosing the colors that's driving me nuts....

sigh,

;)

Color schemes are easy. Choose a light bodied color, the window get a mid tone, and the accents get a dark tone. You can mix it up with more colors if you have a victorian or other period style house (arts and crafts for example.)

The worst offense is wimping out. Of course, you've seen my home, and aside from the ceiling in my workroom, there's not a boring white or biege surface in the entire dwelling.

Go for the bold Dawn, you will not regret it!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

EX#996

QuoteColor schemes are easy. Choose a light bodied color, the window get a mid tone, and the accents get a dark tone. You can mix it up with more colors if you have a victorian or other period style house (arts and crafts for example.)

That's what I'm leaning towards, but with a basic ranch house, I can't get too creative without it looking out of place.  Plus I don't want to have it look like every other house out there (how many people have seen too many houses that are tan with hunter green ?)

I'm only looking at doing this once, so I want to get it right the first time.  Plus, I don't want to go with today's in colors only to have it look stupid 10 years down the road.  

I wish I could get bigger samples of the siding and trim materials.

I'll eventually figure it out.

Dawn   ;)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

spyderchick

What color family are you thinking of using? Greys are out of vogue right now, browns and creams are in.

How about a lavendar tone taupe for the siding, a clean cream for the window/door trim and soffits, finally a chocolate for the roof trim and accents. The icing on the cake is one stunning color for the front door. Red is always a classic, but a great blue would work just as well. The cool thing about the door color is that you can change that every couple of years or so with the trends.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

EX#996

I've been playing on this site with some different ideas...

Link

The roof color on our home is similar to the:  Independence - Georgetown gray

Choose the American Legend Clapboard for the siding and the colors I have to choose from are:
  Colonial White
  Snow
  Sandstone Beige
  Heritage Cream
  Desert Tan
  Savannah Wicker
  Natural Clay
  Cypress
  Light Maple
  Sterling Gray
  Oxford Blue
  Granite Gray

We have a glass panel door.

If any of you would like to play around with it, let me know what you come up with.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

spyderchick

Savannah wicker, paint your trim a navy blue. A sophisticated pallet, and the body is neutral enough that you can change out the triim colors as your would like, unless you have all vinyl trim, but still, it's a fairly timeless look.

Of course, you have to live with it, so go for what suits you best.  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

chris_chops

I hope nothing happens to it after you paint.  It seems everytime I paint my bike, it gets destroyed. :P

EX#996

QuoteI hope nothing happens to it after you paint.  It seems everytime I paint my bike, it gets destroyed. :P

LMAO!!!!!

Well at least with the house it's fully insured unlike the race bike.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Jeff

It's hard because it cuts into the race budget and time allotment.  

Me, I can't make any decision which might infringe upon that...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Dawn

Paul struggles with the time aspect, but with the $$$ aspect - He needs to provide me with a particular dollar amount out of each paycheck.  Anything over that is for his race budget.  It works out OK.

;)