News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Does this snowsuit make my butt look fat?

Started by gma, November 17, 2005, 12:59:40 PM

gma

Homewrecker Racing is currently outfitting its rider for the 2005 ice racing season and we are deferring to the veterans of the sport ...

What the heck do we wear?

I welcome your suggestions, but I also ask you what you think of the following:

1. scuba / neoprene / wetsuit under race leathers (assume the person fits in the suit and the suit fits in the leathers and that there is reasonable movement)
2. knee pucks removed from leathers
3. motocross boots
4. scuba / neoprene / balaclava under motocross helmet (again - assume everything fits)
5. motocross goggles
6. rubber gloves under road racing gloves

Thx for your advice.

Griff

spyderchick

You get pretty warm ice racing, so leathers are usually good enough, unless you get sub-zero temps.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

grasshopper

This is going to be my first year ice racing but I would ditch the motocross helmet and goggles. A snowmobile helmet will work better it doesn't fog up as bad.

I've tried those wet suit gloves riding in the cold and my hands sweat really bad, they didn't let any air in.

For hand warmth, they sell these bags, we made our own that go over your hand grips. They wrap around the whole handle grip and lever, allow for alot of air to be inside and keep the cold off your hands so you can wear regular gloves to feel the bars like you should.

G-reg

QuoteThis is going to be my first year ice racing but I would ditch the motocross helmet and goggles. A snowmobile helmet will work better it doesn't fog up as bad.

Go for the best of both worlds and get a snocross helmet!  I bought one for my sled last year because my normal snowmobile helmet would still fog up especially when its really cold out.. the snowcross helmet seals up tight around the goggles on all 4 sides and you don't get any wind in at all, and with the goggles being separate I've never had them fog up once.  Motocross helmets are really open especially around the lower mouth I would think your chin would freeze in a few minutes.  The only bad thing about the helmet is it catches a lot of wind so if you're going 60 or higher for a long time (like crossing a large lake) you'll really notice your head gets blown around..  
--Greg
MW EX#84

KBOlsen

QuoteFor hand warmth, they sell these bags, we made our own that go over your hand grips. They wrap around the whole handle grip and lever, allow for alot of air to be inside and keep the cold off your hands so you can wear regular gloves to feel the bars like you should.

IIRC, those were sold as "Hippo Hands" - work great on street bikes, too!

I've got a modular Bombardier with built-in sun visor and anti-fog mask that has been sitting around collecting dust...
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

TommyG

Most ice racers wear cold weather (baggy) motocross or snow cross suits with some type of undersuit. The neo gloves with bar bags (mine are name brand bagman). Boots seem to vary from moto to work boots,but I`d recommend something with some ankle protection or you`ll be sorry. Alexa is correct and you sweat your butt off and for that reason I wear a moto helmet. The goggle fogging issue is solved by a cold weather lense. It`s a dual pane type deal like houses have. Most guys wear a cold weather hood/mask under the helmet that gets removed from 20-25 degrees on up depending on wind and helmet brand.

K3 Chris Onwiler

The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

EX#996

Coveralls
Sorrels
long underwear
jeans (and the typical cold weather clothes)
helmet
road racing gloves

Run until your hands or ears are too cold and then head into the trailer or shelter around the Mr. Heater, eat, drink and shoot the sh1t.

;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Team-G

QuoteI wear a moto helmet.

And if you hit Tommy, he makes you wear a 'dunce helmet' with time to think it over and warm up.  But here's the secret formula for staying warm:

20-30 degrees:  2 JD & cokes
10-20 degrees:  3 JD & cokes
0-10 degrees:  4 JD & cokes
Below 0 degrees:  6 JD's and you don't give a rats a$$ what your butt looks like.

Protein Filled

I wear thermals with Motocross boots, heavy moto pants, a snowskiing jacket and gloves and a motocross helmet with goggles. No problems getting cold and we have ridden when it's 20 below outside.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Protein Filled

Hey Gygax,

No wonder you ride next to a bar! Shame there is no setup like that here! Maybe I should bring my own bottle of liquid courage with me... ;)
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Jeff

To answer the subject question, no, the suit doesn't make your ass look fat.  Your fat ass makes your ass look fat  :o

Now...  Ice racing attire will vary depending on temp and who is riding.  Me?  I have a couple of 'musts'.

1 - MotoX boots.  They are warm, water proof and big enough for extra socks.  Not to mention the protection.

2 - Handlebar gauntlets.  Absolute must IMHO

3 - Balaclava and a scarf.

For the main gear, I've gone as far (and usually do this) as to wear an old set of leathers (complete with back protector) and a set of carharts on top of them.  I can ride down into the 0 degree range with that getup.  But if I fall through, I'm going straight to the bottom, no question about it.

I've also run in MX pants with a set of thermals and a set of sweatpants.  Then run a winter jacket.

The problems though are that you NEED knee and elbow protection, so whatever you choose, make sure you have that covered.

Exposed skin will get REAL cold REAL quick since you can get up to a pretty good clip on some of the tracks.

If you can get a bike with heated hand grips, your troubles all go away... When your hands are toasty, the rest of your body seems to be warm as well...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

QuoteYou guys are nuts....

Sounds like Mr. K3 is looking for an invite to a piece of the action. ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

TommyG

QuoteAnd if you hit Tommy, he makes you wear a 'dunce helmet' with time to think it over and warm up.  But here's the secret formula for staying warm:

20-30 degrees:  2 JD & cokes
10-20 degrees:  3 JD & cokes
0-10 degrees:  4 JD & cokes
Below 0 degrees:  6 JD's and you don't give a rats a$$ what your butt looks like.
No one will let Dave forget my worst crash in 2005 road or ice was him a$$ packing me. He is actually a little hard on himself for that one but we all got it figured out for 2006. We are going to use a Breath-a-lizer on him! ;D

grasshopper

Don't worry Chris, I'm roping you into this one too.

Rachel and the dog will come too, so there is no way for you to refuse.

Look at it this way, another story to write, and another form of motorcycling to ad to your resume.

About gear, I think I'll wear moto cross, knee pads and elbow pads, motocross boots and then wear my Carhart bibs and jacket over everything

spyderchick

You know...with all you guys going to great leangths to get all decked out...there should be a "Boyz on Ice" calendar.

Here's Jeff, in his sexy old beat up leathers and Carharts.

Don't miss Edgar in his Ski/Moto fusion outfit...isn't he a hunk?

Newcomer Chris K3 Onwiler gets in on the action in his black Vansons over thermal underwear...oh is that a poop stain? Yes it it! That cute little munchkin was really scared out there!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

grasshopper

QuoteYou know...with all you guys going to great leangths to get all decked out...there should be a "Boyz on Ice" calendar.

Here's Jeff, in his sexy old beat up leathers and Carharts.

Don't miss Edgar in his Ski/Moto fusion outfit...isn't he a hunk?

Newcomer Chris K3 Onwiler gets in on the action in his black Vansons over thermal underwear...oh is that a poop stain? Yes it it! That cute little munchkin was really scared out there!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You're Sick, you know that rite? Are you drinking beer this morning already? It's not even noon yet.

Team-G

QuoteHey Gygax,

No wonder you ride next to a bar! Shame there is no setup like that here! Maybe I should bring my own bottle of liquid courage with me... ;)

I thought that was standard equipment issue  ;)

grasshopper

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

QuoteYou're Sick, you know that rite? Are you drinking beer this morning already? It's not even noon yet.

I might be from Milwaukee, but I drink tequilla in the AM.  :o ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

QuoteHere's the cover of said calendar:

Y'all look more respectable than I thought you would.  ::) :P ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Team-G

QuoteY'all look more respectable than I thought you would.  ::) :P ;D

Yeah, you have to see the picture with all 5 of us on the bike.... :o

spyderchick

QuoteYeah, you have to see the picture with all 5 of us on the bike.... :o

;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteNewcomer Chris K3 Onwiler gets in on the action in his black Vansons over thermal underwear...oh is that a poop stain? Yes it it! That cute little munchkin was really scared out there!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've been called a lot of things over the years, but....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

TommyG

QuoteY'all look more respectable than I thought you would.  ::) :P ;D
That picture actually interupted me and Jeffy`s pocket pool tournament!

damico

So Tommy were there motorcycles involved in this A$$ packing or were you guys alone. :o ;D

gma

Oi ...

All I asked about was what to wear and this is what I get ...

Ashpacking is a racing term, right?

Oi ...

dicatirider944

QuoteOi ...

All I asked about was what to wear and this is what I get ...

Oi ...

SP00N is another racing term!  I always thought it was an eating utensil till I started racing and hanging out with this crew ;)

Team-G

QuoteAll I asked about was what to wear and this is what I get ...

we like to add a little color with our fashion advice, ,,

Hey Tommy, sounds like Damico wants in next time  ;D

spyderchick

Quotewe like to add a little color with our fashion advice, ,,

Hey Tommy, sounds like Damico wants in next time  ;D

Watch your knees! ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

gma

I bought ...

- a TTR
- a FULL set of BRAND NEW gear
- parts to build a trailer - and built the @(#&%#&'n trailer over the course of a WEEK
- tires (maxxis - new)
- 1,000 mthr fkn kold kutters (spent HOURS making the tires)

then ...

the phone rings today...

It's another client I work for - with my schedule for the first quarter.

I don't have one single weekend off for the first 10 weeks of the year ...

(*#^%^)!*(#!%^)*!(#)*%^*)!#^%

While I'm gratefull for work, let's give some thought to racing during the week when everyone else is at work so they don't complain about the noise on the weekends?!?!

I hope I get to see you guys at all this winter. Believe me, I'm going to take advantage of every opportunity to get out there with you guys. Thx for all your answers to my post.

Regards from Vegas,

HW

K3 Chris Onwiler

Griff, I'll take the bike out and shake it down for you.  Just let me know when and where to pick it up, and where you'd like me to leave the remains.

Protein Filled

Hey Griff, come ride in Minnesota. We get out mid-week as well!

gma

Minnesota it is!!!

See you there and then!!!

BTW, I think I solved the question about what to wear ...

- thermal unmentionables
- nylon karting suit
- leathers

HA!

So THERE!!!

PS - What's the latest on the Wegman Ice thingy and what's the latest on racing in conjunction with the MW banquet?

cardzilla

Here, Here   +1  ... looney tunes  ;D
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike