Brake Tech Rotors for 05 R6

Started by Jayfive, November 16, 2005, 10:44:43 AM

Jayfive

I'm looking for anyone on the planet who has a set or knows someone who has a set of 310mm Brake Tech rotors for a 2005 Yamaha R6.  The first set produced should go to me, however, I think I'm getting the run around from Jeff at Brake Tech. According to him, none have been produced in the 18 months (no joke) that I have been waiting and calling and waiting and calling and...

Has anyone seen a set yet?

Super Dave

Those are really unique rotors.

They are the manufacturer right?  I'd think that they would be happy to get you rotors, if they had them done and completed.

Did you pay for the rotors?
Super Dave

Jayfive

Brake Tech is the manufacturer.  They don't actually make them in-house but have several outside machine shops that perform the various processes for them.  Jeff has either had extremely bad luck with these vendors or he is BS'ing me.  I'm sensing the latter.  I racked up enough contingency $ in '04 to cover the cost of 2 sets.  All I've gotten is excuses...

I'm a manufacturing manager with responsibilities in three countries and know enough to know that brake rotors don't have an 18 month lead time...

I could be wrong but I am thinking that someone out there that paid with green dollars probably already has theirs, just looking to confirm that suspicion. Anyone??

Super Dave

I haven't seen any other than at the Indy dealer show.  

They aren't supersport legal.  They are many times more expensive than stock or aftermarket products.  

If you haven't paid for them, I don't think you're out anything, are you?

I doubt they have much for them in volume, so getting something done right in low volume might be hard.  This is the motorcycle industry.
Super Dave

Jayfive

Actually, they are Supersport legal in CCS (see 6.1.2B in CCS 05 Rules & Regs).  

And I am out quite a bit at this point ($1200 in earned contingency).  If they aren't going to honor their contingency program, what is the incentive to run their product?  

As far as producing small quantities right now, that shouldn't be a problem.  They are a small scale manufacturer of low volume brake rotors.  That's what they do.

Super Dave

Get some other stuff, sell it, buy the rotors you want, if that will help.

If they are Supersport legal, it's kind of ridiculous, but that's par for some of CCS's supersport rules.  
Super Dave

cardzilla

I'm assuming you're talking about the Carbon-ceramic rotors?

If so, for starters they aren't SS legal... they're are made of a different material.

I also looked into a set for the R1 and I got the same response so they may be telling you the truth.  They are VERY cutting edge and with those types of things this happens.  Just because it was contingency money doesn't make it any different IMO... as broke a$$ racers we count on that like cash (I do at least).  Good luck in getting them and be sure to post on what you think of them.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Jayfive

Actually, no I'm not talking about the carbon/ceramic rotors.  I should have specified.  In looking back at Dave's posts, I think those are the rotors he was thinking of.  I dismiss those as even existing as they are illegal in ANY class, Supersport or otherwise.

Remember, I have been waiting for 18 months and the ceramic/carbons weren't even a blip on the radar back then (mid season '04).

I am actually looking for anyone who has seen a set of Brake Tech's standard Axis rotors, in either stainless or iron.  Nothing fancy here.  They should be able to crank these out from raw material to finished goods in nothing more than 30 days tops...Someone MUST have a set out there somewhere...