News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New site... want opinions / comments

Started by cyclesnatch, November 15, 2005, 01:46:32 PM

spyderchick

Yeah, I have to agree, as a female, the tootsies do nothing to promote the site as a serious biz. I've been surfing crashedtoys.com, and you can look without signing up. I have an account, but that's only because if  decide to buy, I don't want to go through the hassle of having to do the sign up if I submit a bid.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Gixxerblade

Thats the only reason I didn't browse the website because I couldn't get anywhere without creating a login and its a hassle.

spyderchick

QuoteThats the only reason I didn't browse the website because I couldn't get anywhere without creating a login and its a hassle.

He gave us this to use:

login: eval@cyclesnatch.com
pwd: eval
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

TommyG

evidently ccs needs to include some type of reading test in the racer licensing. ::)

Team-G

I don't mind having to sign up to surf; here's why:

I've listed and sold several bikes on used-harley-davidsons.com which does not require verification.  After selling 5 bikes there, I've had at least 50 scam responses and fradulent attempts to purchase.  Most are easily identified, but some waste a lot of time while finding out.

If people are serious about looking / buying / selling, it's not a lot to ask.

cyclesnatch

QuoteMy opinion: you're going to have to allow people in without a userid/password to build any momentum

I appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming. Due to the number of people requesting this I will definitely look into retrofitting it for non-logged in browsing soon. I understand the point well.

cyclesnatch

QuoteI don't mind having to sign up to surf; here's why: After selling 5 bikes there, I've had at least 50 scam responses and fradulent attempts to purchase.

These guys are asking that once you push the "contact seller" button.... that's when you're asked to register. So... that could certainly appease both sides of the argument. Thanks for the honest feedback.

cyclesnatch

Quotemany people aren't going to take you seriously with the T&A on the site.  I would be embarassed for my wife to see me pulling up that site.  I'd go "No honey, it's a want ad site for race bikes" and she'd be like "Yea, right, pervert!".  ;)

Once *inside* the side... there is no evidence of the women unless you click on the women specific galleries. I understand though about the front page. What I will do is make it less blatant on the front page. I have been planning to do that anyway. Appreciated.

Bryan

cyclesnatch

I'm hoping for at least a tidbit of positive reinforcement about the search mechanism. Can ANYONE but me really see how cool it is to be able to actually specify "Track Bike Only" along with "Year", "Make", "Model" and such... or maybe just select "Displacement" if you're open minded about which brand you're going to ride? And for us 2 smokers... the ability to search on "2 Stroke"?

Are there any other sites that have done it that you know of? When you are looking for a race bike (or even a street ride)... do you not have a very specific idea in mind about what you are looking for?

Just trying to get a feel for whether anyone is on board with me here  :o

I'll do my part to make it less of a hassle to get into.

gma

- add "off-road" or "play bike" and something that speaks to a ysr to "cycle type"
- make - allow multiple selections - in fact, do this for everything
- street legal - add "street bike that is prepped for track days"
- after choosing which bike - by model, the drill permits the choice of displacement. for one thing, this is redundant and secondly, this could create a conflict - someone could look for an r6 that is 1000cc in displacement.
- location ... c'mon, am i going to buy a bike from greece? does the list need to be that long to find usa? i'm never sure if it's going to be the first option of in albaphetical order.
- here's where and why i quit ...

i know the diff between 2 and 4 stroke but i clicked the 'what's this' anyway. this navigated the browser to the answer - which didn't answer the difference between the two. when i tried to return to the search drill, all of my choices were reset to the default.

so far, i'm thinking that this is taking a little longer than it should.

thx for asking and feel free to get in touch if you'd like more input.

hw

cyclesnatch

Quote- add "off-road" or "play bike" and something that speaks to a ysr to "cycle type"

Is a YSR not in the "Sport Bike" genre?  That's what I'd select if I were looking for my NSR 50. You can select "Sport Bike" and drill down to "50cc" or "80cc"... chances are you'll net them. Optionally... if anyone actually POSTED a YSR... you could use the Make/Model controls to specifically see that it is (or was at some time) in the database.

Quote- make - allow multiple selections - in fact, do this for everything

I hear you, and I will consider multis on some controls. From a technical standpoint though... since the search mechanism is already so comprehensive... having multi-selects on everything would be a pretty massive undertaking. As it stands... I'm hoping this current offering is light years better than the competition?

Quote- street legal - add "street bike that is prepped for track days"

Done!

Quote- after choosing which bike - by model, the drill permits the choice of displacement. for one thing, this is redundant and secondly, this could create a conflict - someone could look for an r6 that is 1000cc in displacement.

Understood... but with power comes the ability to crash and burn. I can't save the world  :-/

Quote- location ... c'mon, am i going to buy a bike from greece?

People in *Greece* might  :o  I built the site for the world market as much as possible. No reason why they can't have a go.

Quotedoes the list need to be that long to find usa? i'm never sure if it's going to be the first option of in albaphetical order.

I understand... and the same thing happens to me sometimes on other sites. I just press the "U" key when the control is displaying the list... gets you there quickly. I could certainly default that control to "United States"... and I might. Just seems slightly arrogant :-)

Quotei know the diff between 2 and 4 stroke but i clicked the 'what's this' anyway. this navigated the browser to the answer - which didn't answer the difference between the two. when i tried to return to the search drill, all of my choices were reset to the default.

THANK YOU!  I'll fix that one. One of the most impressive feature OF my search mechanism is that is DOES remember all your settings. I simply forgot to trigger the memory in that instance. Appreciated.

Bryan

cyclesnatch

Quote- add "off-road" or "play bike"

Sorry I missed this one. I added "Pit Bike / Play Bike" to the "Cycle Type" control for you!