News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Rebuilding 01 R6 motor?

Started by aguy0523, November 08, 2005, 12:47:16 PM

aguy0523

Totally newb question here. Do I freshen up the motor or do I "if aint broke dont fix it." And is it  something I can do myself. I have mechanical skills and average knowledge. Any special tools needed, tips & tricks. Also I've heard of "splitting the case." Exactly what is that and is it difficult. Also one more whats the average cost on a shop doing it compared to myself doing it at home and where should I get the parts besides the dealer.

Xian_13

Do a compression and a leak down test.
Also a dyno run might show you unforseen issues.

In my opinion, take it to a tune that builds race bike motors.
They can help you find free (or cheap) horse power.

Moon Super cycle is a good choice of a tuner. (see below)

IMO if the bike passes the test, leave it alone and save money for tires.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

aguy0523

In what way do yo mean free or cheap horespower. I know I can adjust my carbs main jets and needles but is something else? MoonSuper Cyle is a little far from me so I'll probably take it to Cafe Racer. They build race motors? Thanks for your advice.

cardzilla

What he means is that there's a lot of free HP locked up in a street engine.  Depending on how crazy you want to get, that is.  From valve jobs to cam timing on the simple end, to crank and rod bearings and other misc. bottom end stuff on the extreme end.  Then there's the "grey" area stuff (supersport) and other tuner specific items aimed at increasing compression.  Unless you have a clean, adequate workshop take it to a builder.  I have all the knowledge, tools and ability, but I still take it to someone... somethings are worth the $.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

QuoteIn what way do yo mean free or cheap horespower. I know I can adjust my carbs main jets and needles but is something else? MoonSuper Cyle is a little far from me so I'll probably take it to Cafe Racer. They build race motors? Thanks for your advice.

Ask the boys at Cafe Racer first.  KC area, right?

Production based motorcycles are developed to meet EPA and DOT standards.  So, the air/fuel requirements that meet EPB standards do not produce the best HP or even useable HP.  So, a properly tuned engine will usually be easier to ride faster.  This will also usually allow the engine to run cooler at higher RPM's because it isn't running so lean.  

Proper jetting and other carb tuning is "free" in that it doesn't require huge investments in parts, etc.  
Super Dave

LMsports

Definitely take it to your boys at Cafe Racer. They have the knowledge and experience to work on your motor. Like Larry said, some things are worth spending money on. Based on the questions you asked I think you will end up spending more money trying to do it yourself and then having someone fix it, than if you just had them do it right the first time.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net