News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Advice on new Leathers

Started by grasshopper, November 01, 2005, 06:23:12 AM

grasshopper

I'm sure (I hope) Spyder chic will jump in here and help me out.

I'm shopping for new leathers. I don't want to spend a fortune, just like any club racer on a budget, but I want good protection.

What kind of specs am I looking for. I know I want the hard armor. I don't want the soft stuff. What thickness of Armor is ideal? What about raw hide thickness? What name brands should I look for and what name brands should I stay away from.

My AGV's have been great. I bought them off Rick Brewer about 3 years ago and they have got me through several crashes.

Point a guy in the correct direction.

Thanks

Nick

spyderchick

PM sent. Feel free to call.  :)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

mark91ex

Looking for a awesome set of custom leathers at a great price look into the XES leathers by Moto-heaven.com. They are awesome looking, fitting, and customfitted to you all for $1500 or less. Depending on what you are looking for!! They also have your basic sets or off the shelve suit for alot less.

Check them out at www. moto-heaven.com

Tell them Mark sent cha!!!

ibidu1

QuoteI'm sure (I hope) Spyder chic will jump in here and help me out.

I'm shopping for new leathers. I don't want to spend a fortune, just like any club racer on a budget, but I want good protection.

My AGV's have been great. I bought them off Rick Brewer about 3 years ago and they have got me through several crashes.

Point a guy in the correct direction.

Thanks

Nick

I think you answered your own questions. Stick to the AGV they make great leathers that are affordable

Super Dave

I've seen a lot of issues with some common branded leathers.  You're gonna have a short list for quality a protection.

Hard armor?  I'm not sure if it's used completely a lot anymore.  Usually going to have some kind of combination.

If you got good service from the AGV's, good for you.

You know what I use.  Vanson.

There are some custom US manufacturers too.  Worth looking at.
Super Dave

dicatirider944

I just recently got a new set of leathers myself, looked into different brands and ended up with a set of MotoGP kangaroo leathers, they look to be well made and they are very comfortable on.  Kangaroo is supposed to be twice as abrasion resistant.  The retail on the set was like $900 but if you look around you can find them a little cheaper.  As far as what they crash like, I can't tell you because they are still all shinny! ;D But I'm sure that will change soon enough :'(

PJ

I used to wear AGV leathers. Wore through two sets in just a handful of crashes. IMO, they are throw away leathers.

By comparison, my one Vanson suit has protected me in more than a dozen falls. Maybe 15? More than I care to count anyway. They are still solid (with a few minor patch ups by Spyder Leatherworks).

Vansons are American made with excellent craftsmanship. They offer field service at select events. And they pay ROC contingency.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

grasshopper

Thanks alot for the respones! Good Stuff, good advice, I wish I would have realized there was a simialr thread about the same topic.

Vansons seems like the purchase I will make after much research. I plan on riding and racing for a while.

How much does Vanson Leathers Pay for a podium finish in CCS/FUSA or WERA?

How about Supermoto or Flattrack racing? Is there any payout that anyone knows about?

Zac

AGV leather quality is all over the map.  I had an old "AGV" suit that was made by Corner in Italy, circa late '90s.  It was an excellent suit, fit me perfectly.  Saw four crashes, only ever needing very minor repairs.  I finally had to retire it due to the leather starting to deteriorate from a few seasons of my nasty sweat.

I bought an AGV Aegis suit to replace it under the AGV rider support program.  Quality was decent for a rack suit (especially with what I paid), but fit was horrible.  I sent back the first to get a smaller one, still fit pretty bad.  I keep it around as a spare, but I should probably just sell it.

My wife's first suit was one of the cheap Pakistani AGVs.  With upgraded armour, it was actually decent, I wouldn't recomend one to a racer, but I would wear one before I'd wear a Teknic.  

AGV also does customs in cowhide or Kangaroo.  They have a good contingency program, I had a lot of certs but never broke down and bought a custom AGV.

In any case, I'm currently wearing a custom XES, which I have been happy with.

-z.

DanO966

I've been really HAPPY with my Rocket Speedmaster leathers!!  
Nick if you want, give me a call and I'll take care of you on leathers!!

Dan Ortega
815-544-5800
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6