News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Uh-Oh, an Oil Thread

Started by Nate R, December 13, 2002, 12:42:28 PM

Nate R

OK, A few questions:

How often are you guys changing the oil or filter, and why that interval?

Which oil do you use?

What do you think would be better: Buying a good synth, and changing it every 2-3 weekends, or any ol' dino oil, and changing it every weekend?

(A weekend consisting of Saturday and Sunday practice, and 4 races, with one of them being a 1/2 hr race)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do as far as which oil and how often to change it. Just looking for suggestions, and reasons why.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Eddie#200

Use oil, change it often.  Synth is ok but isn't a requirement to go racing.

It doesn't matter what you use if you keep it changed.

Litespeed

I change every other weekend and use Motul 5100.  I was going to change every weekend but the oil doesn't really look to be dirty enough to change.  Keep in mind also that the endurance racers use the oil for 6 hours at a time and don't really see any oil related issues.

KBOlsen

Pennzoil and a filter every weekend.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

sportbikepete

It is cheaper to change your oil & filter after every weekend than a motor rebuild sooner rather than later. I use Motorex synthetic and the oil filter from the factory.

FUBAR606

I change oil/filter every 3-4 race weekends (all day practice and at least 3 races a weekend), but more often during the height of summer. And I run synthetic Redline race 40wt.

I was using OEM filters, but recently switched to K&N supplied by Lockhart Phillips. As a Team Privateer member, I get it round about the same price as dealership OEM filters. And I like the fact it has a safety wire hole already available. I also buy the oil from LP, which I get in bulk to lower cost.

Baltobuell

MOBIL 1! Had a friend say his bike wasn't running right, tried it again the next practice, still something not right. Turned out the oil pump gear was sheared off and it ran dry for 2 practices. It was fine after replacing the pump gears. That stuff must be good, real good. Change it often anyway.

skara

I was using golden spectro 15w40 in my 94 f2 until last year during the heat of the summer i started missing shifts so mobil 1 was reccomended by another racer at the track and it helped drmatically also like the k&n filters for the safety wire hole 8)

OmniGLH

I'd change mine every 2 weekends.  I've had excellent luck with the Motul synthetic (5800 I think?)  I'm curious to try the Mobil-1, but haven't heard enough about it yet to convince me to switch.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

sdiver68

Mobil 1 every 3rd Weekend or so.  That includes practice days, etc...

Synthetic is to dino oil what disk brakes are to drum brakes.  There really is no comparison.  

MCRA Race School Instructor

Steviebee

Are you guys using teh Mobil 1 that you got form an auto parts store. Or the one for motorcycles (i've only seen it once, dont even know if they make it anymore ) ???

sdiver68

Auto Mobil 1.

I saw an independent chemist report that showed the different additives and formulations and stuff of the different Mobil oils and a few others.  Basically, the "Performance" Auto stuff and the Cycle stuff were the same.  Mobil supposedly has reformulated since then...but I'm betting its nothing but BNG, as Super Dave would say.
MCRA Race School Instructor