yoshimura cams for GSXR

Started by the_blob, September 23, 2005, 05:59:55 PM

the_blob

what are the advantages and disadvantages of installing aftermarket cams.
particularly stage one yoshimuras in an 04  GSXR1000??

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Super Dave

Probably has longer duration for more time to bring in an air/fuel mixture and then more time to let out the exhaust gases.  

I'm assuming that a stage one set up might have stock lift as, I believe, the AMA rules don't allow anything more than the stock lift.

Disadvantages?

Some Superstock bikes are producing nearly 190 RWHP.  They have traction issues.  Liter bikes spin the tire on the banking at Daytona in 6th gear.  Not sure why you'd need more.

You'll have to have the cam timing redone, and probably a new fuel curve.  
Super Dave

damico

I would contact Greg Moon at Moonlight supercycle he has done the testing and knows what works on those things. If I remember correctly gsxr1000 are pretty sensitive to cam changes(ie it dont work). Call Greg he will give you the skinny your looking for, and besides knowing his sh*t he is staight forward and trust worthy. Yes, there still are a few mechanics like that.

WebCrush

I had an 04 1000 and put the WebCam 540/566 grinds in.  I never had it dyno tuned, but it had lots of grunt and good top end as well.

And yes, I had the rear of the bike step out on me at Daytona halfway around the banking.  

Be careful.

Xian_13

QuoteI would contact Greg Moon at Moonlight supercycle he has done the testing and knows what works on those things. If I remember correctly gsxr1000 are pretty sensitive to cam changes(ie it dont work). Call Greg he will give you the skinny your looking for, and besides knowing his sh*t he is staight forward and trust worthy. Yes, there still are a few mechanics like that.

Its Moon Super Cycle (not moonlight).
Yes, he is a knowledgible guy on all modern sport bikes.
His phone number is Above the dancing girl.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

mdr14

I have just seen mostly a moderate midrange and top end increase with the Yoshimura Stage 1 cams. We also saw a decrease in bottom end power. this is with stock motors and cams dropped in and degreed to proper lobe centers.

Sometimes on a 1000 it is possible to come out of a corner quite low in the engine rpms. You may loose some of the off the corner grunt in those situations.

When I have raced with guys that did have those cams, I killed them off the corners. At Road AMerica they would have a slight advantage top end...It ends up being a wash at that track.

Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

JBraun

I have the same bike and I'm thinking about putting 600 cams in it, or maybe a 600 motor. Maybe I'll unplug a coil... ;D
Sometimes I swear I could go faster if the bike made less power and didn't try to kill me....
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Super Dave

LOL!  Yeah, you are probably on to something....
Super Dave

Thingy

-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!