News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Entry fees

Started by tzracer, December 11, 2002, 11:02:30 AM

tzracer

Part of the increase in entry fees is our own fault.

Do we really need any races paying a purse? Isn't this club level racing? How many racers benefit from purse races (figure out how much extra you paid during the year, compared to the amout you won)? It was in response to a survey of racers that purses were increased. Who do you think is paying for the purses?

The majority of races do not benefit from entering purse races. Why do you want to pay for another person's racing? We should do away with purses being paid for by entry fees. Sponsors for classes should pay for any purse. There should be more contingencies for more classes. I would not mind a certificate for a discount on an item for which I am already paying. I see it as the job of CCS to obtain these sponsors.

Opinions?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Decreasing_Dave

I do agree with you somewhat.  I know that entering a purse paying race is almost as bad as gambling, only you have some control over your chances of winning.

But on the other hand, I won some purse money last year.  I have to say that it felt really good to get some monetary return on a very expensive weekend.

I think that If you just kept shelling out cash to race, with no hope of EVER getting anything back, as much as you love the sport, it may come down to a matter of priorities (family, bills, work, racing...).

my $.02 for what it's worth.

tzracer

Did the money you made offset the extra you paid to enter the races? If not it is costing you more money. Yes it may feel good, but does that good feeling pay the bills? I have won races, I have won money, winning races is far more satisfying whether money is involved or not.

Is it good for the long term health of our sport to have the majority of racers paying for other racers racing? You are not just paying your bills but other peoples bills.

One thing I tell people who want to start racing - never expect to make money, never expect to win any money, do expect to pay for all of your racing.
Brian McLaughlin

the_weggie_man

Brian,  I agree CCS should go after the sponsors for class purses but you have to realize this goes nation wide. CCS won't go after regional sponsors.  The cost to sponsor a class on a national level is very expensive.

I do believe however that the local CCS staff should go after local sposorship for races.  I tried it when I was director with limited luck. :( But then roadracing had no where near the participation and popularity it has now days.  

I believe CCS or the local CCS staff should put together a promotional package that racers could use to approach possible sponsors.

Look around the country at many clubs and they have considerable support from local industry for their events.  CRA, CMRA, GLLRA (now defunct), WSMC, etc. all go after local companies to support their races.

What we have here is a staff to run the races, period. There is no one or no club that makes the effort to get support for our local events. :-/ If we want purse paying events not supported by entry fees someone needs to go after local industry for that  support.

But remember, this area is notoriously tight with money. It is historically the most conservative area in the country for this type of support. Even though it has about the 3rd largest motorcycle population in the country.

lol ........

Admin

There's an increase in entry fees?  I know Dave mentioned something about $5 for a transponder...  Anyway, CCS is just responding to the desires of those that filled in the survey.  Apparently, enough people actually win money that people wanted the purses raised.  I know I've not yet won a purse with CCS, so when I filled in the survey, I didn't want the purses raised.

I think you make a good point though if people didn't realize that higher purses means higher entry fees if there are no sponsors.

I know that the marketing guru at CCS was all gung ho about getting racers out there and getting support and using Clearchannel events to advertise CCS events.  Don't know whatever became of all that.

Decreasing_Dave

I realize that I have to pay for my racing.  I also realize that by paying more for purse-paying races that I'm possibly paying for other people's racing as well.  I did well in races that didn't pay money and that felt good too.  BUT, I did win enough to be able to compare it to my expenses (i.e. entry fees).  I know that won't always happen, it may never happen again, and I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone who enters.  I just feel that it was a reward for being focused and doing well.

If you don't want to pay the extra cash to enter a purse paying race, then don't.  It is a separate entry fee, therefore it's your choice.

tzracer

I started this thread in response to the thread about transponders which then began to discuss the cost of entry fees.

I can afford to pay $65 for every class I enter, 3 of the 5 classes a TZ250 is eligable for are purse classes. What I am questioning is are purses that are paid for by racers good for the long term health of the sport, especially with the downturn in the economy? After about mid season, race attendance fell off quite a bit this past season.

Brian McLaughlin

MightyDuc Racing

I hate to say it, TZ, but welcome to life.  90% of the people in the world pay for 10% (or less) to live the good life.  I also participate in several other sports that pay purses.  The purses should give you an increased desire to get better at what you are doing.  It's that drive and desire which fuel not only racing, but sports in general.  Just think how great it would feel to beat the guys that always take the money home...even if only once..and take that money from them.  That, together with the thrill of victory, should keep you coming back.  Just my .02.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM