Mille SP classes?

Started by tlrj, December 11, 2002, 03:55:59 AM

tlrj

can I run the SP in all the Twins and 750 supersport classes, along with Superbike? A list of classes I could run would be nice.........I read the rules--but help me make sure I understand them correctly

Super Dave

Heavyweight Supersport and Superbike, GTO, Unlimited Grand Prix, Super Twins, and Unlimited Supersport.

That help?

The Aprilia makes about as much HP as a really, really good 600, but it handles way better.  So, it will be fun but frustrating as the 750's POUND you on the straight.

I'd like to race one myself, but the cost to make it competitive, HP wise, would be an additionally expense beyond making the suspension correct, bodywork, and the intial cost of the bike.
Super Dave

motomadness

The Mille SP is the $30,000, 130 bhp, Ohlins suspenderized, fire breather.  I would think it would take much to modify it to be competitve with the big boys at the CCS level.

Side note:  I saw the Blackmans Aprilia was selling one of their Mille's on eBay.  The last price I saw was $8600.  At that price you get a lot of performance for your hard earned dollar, and an excellent base to start from.

Super Dave

Well, I thought we were talking about a Mille R, the production version with Ohlins stuff.  Those are available, etc. for $15k to $17k new.  That's what Blackman's is, along with a kit.

The other one, the more expensive one, is the one that was not available here it the US.  That has a Cosworth designed engine that is completely different from the standard model.  The frame might even be different.  Those are the ones that were homologized for WSB competition, but not for AMA.  The new model will probably be homologized for AMA competition to be run under the Blackman's name, as I understand it.
Super Dave

tlrj

So, can I still run the SP in CCS even though their not permitted in AMA/FUSA? Not trying to be a pain--just making sure

motomadness

I think the rules (Section 6 - non GP classes) state that the bike must be sold by manufacturers and their dealers for street use in North America via "normal" commercial channels.

Ask yourself, does this apply to me?  If not, I use there's always Unltd GP, or track days.

tzracer

The rule book does allow CCS to allow motorcycles that are not street legal in the US. Write to CCS to see if they will allow the bike in question.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

Or call Kevin.  Get a "face to face" answer now.  
Super Dave

RandyD

QuoteSo, can I still run the SP in CCS even though their not permitted in AMA/FUSA? Not trying to be a pain--just making sure

Remember that the AMA is just another sanctioning body -- it has no bearing on the class rules in CCS or WERA.

As a novice, you'll be able to run the SP in the GTO and unlimited class.  You should also be able to run in supertwins and heavyweight.  But check with Kevin before you spend anything.

And does the SP really cost $30K?  If you want to race, may I suggest you sell the Aprilia (even though its gorgeous) and by a good R6 and use the rest of the money to buy all the extra track time you'll be eligible for.

Chewy

Hey guy, not sure if you ever got a definite on this but I also have a mille SP.  You can run it in all the classes that were mentioned.  I have raced against a guy from Fla on an SP.  

I do not race mine and am actually trying to sell it so if you want a (B) bike we can talk.  The SP is a sweet bike and totally different from an R version.

Chewy
Team Duc Racing