SV 650 Crank Issues

Started by gpstar1, August 23, 2005, 09:45:43 AM

gpstar1

My crank on my 01 SV 650 cracked in half about a month ago at  summit point and I was wondering if this is a common problem with SV's. My motor guy was telling me that he's been hearing that there has been alot of crank problems with the SV's especially the newer models.

Just wondering if anyone else out there had any issues with their bike.
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

Protein Filled

Yes, lots of people have had issues with cranks breaking and rod bearings spinning. The 2003+ are more prone to breaking than the earlier modles, which tended to spin rod bearings a lot more.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

grasshopper

Hmm, I'd rather have a rod bearing spin on the crank than a crank actually breaking!

I've spun a rod bearing in one of my SV's from riding really long wheelies. You starve the front cyclinder of oil. If I'm going out to play on the back wheel I just fill the oil all the way past the top of the site window. The 700cc SV I have has 25k on it and I haven't had a problem yet.

Was the motor built? Overbore, Aftermarket Rods?

You can always go buy a 3500 dollar Falicon Crank, that outta take some abuse!  ;)

gpstar1

My Sv is a 700 and it did have a super crank on it. Basicly its just a lightened polished crank, which also took out my stator and a bunch of other stuff. Luckly it didn't fly through the cases.
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

Gixxerblade

Hey Chris i think it has something to do with not being able to shim the crank or something along those lines. If you look at the other website you will find plenty of subjects about your same problem along with spinng the rod bearing among other things.