Would a camera on the bike be a problem?

Started by lbk, December 09, 2002, 01:35:05 PM

lbk

I was thinking of mounting a lipstick camera on the inside of my plastics probably create a mount that attaches where the headlight bracket is then running a cable back underneath the tail section. Is this an issue with racing? If so I may consider some sort of removable setup so I can use it on track days and eliminate it for races. The camera would be bolted to the bike with a small hole cut in the front fairing, then the camera would be mounted in the undertail so it would be secured as well.

r3card

yep its worked for me at daytona roc. just secure it good.

TreyBone

Ive have run some onboard last year. I just velcro'ed it to the right side of the fairing (wear the turn signal would be). Then secure it with duct tape. Here is a link of some video off of one i did at Roebling Rd.

http://www.pcdistributors.net/racing/RRR3.htm

lbk

Cool thanks guys. I'm going to go with this camera setup since I've seen video from this one and it looks great. Plus then I can just leave the camera on the bike all the time and just remove the camcorder when not in use. Since it will be in the undertail anyway.

http://www.helmetcamera.com

jgf

dave i just got my helmet cam from helmetcamera.com, pretty slick!! cant wait to try it out

lbk

Quotedave i just got my helmet cam from helmetcamera.com, pretty slick!! cant wait to try it out

jgf do I know you, or are you reffering to another dave that posted in this thread? :D

KBOlsen

CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Speedballer347

I ran w/ a helmet cam last season.  Make sure you mount the camcorder securely in the tail....or it will jostle around making the video an exercise in epilepsy :D
I wound up highsiding pretty hard in October, and the impact broke the Sony Camcorder in the tail.

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

I guess I've never liked the one's that mounted to the helmet as there wea no sensation of how the bike moves.

The cameras I've used, we just placed a shim on the tank to keep the front of the camera up where we wanted it, then used duct tape to hold the camera in place, off set to the right of the tank.  Crashed twice with it, and the camera was fine.

I raced with it too.
Super Dave

jgf

;D  dave,dave,dave! its me jim, lol. the helmet cam is cool, just need to build a holder in the tail now for the video camera and im all set.  ;D

lbk

Quote;D  dave,dave,dave! its me jim, lol. the helmet cam is cool, just need to build a holder in the tail now for the video camera and im all set.  ;D

Too funny, didn't know you got one of these. Did you mount it on your helmet, or is it on one of your many bikes?

Super Dave

Quote;D  dave,dave,dave! its me jim, lol. the helmet cam is cool, just need to build a holder in the tail now for the video camera and im all set.  ;D

Figured you were in here on this one...LOL ;D

I did some camera work for Duke Video back in 1996.  I just wore a fanny pack with the camera.  We did the same thing in 2001 on my GSXR with a rear mounted lipstick cam.
Super Dave

jgf

QuoteFigured you were in here on this one...LOL ;D

I did some camera work for Duke Video back in 1996.  I just wore a fanny pack with the camera.  We did the same thing in 2001 on my GSXR with a rear mounted lipstick cam.

i thought about that but i dont want to land on a camera(let alone the ground) if i do happen to crash, so i will build a home for the video camera in the tail plenty of room. As for where i am going to mount it i will have 2 spots on the bike one up front and one in the rear, i was thinking of drilling a hole in the front of the fairing and mounting it in that, whoo knows we will see when it gets warm out!

Eddie#200

QuoteIve have run some onboard last year. I just velcro'ed it to the right side of the fairing (wear the turn signal would be). Then secure it with duct tape. Here is a link of some video off of one i did at Roebling Rd.

http://www.pcdistributors.net/racing/RRR3.htm

Hey Trey,

Cool Video!

What bike did you run?  It looked like it was down on HP in the straight.  A few guys went by you at the start.  I noticed that you were catching them in the turns but chose not to pass.  I think you could have taken them.  Wick it up baby!

funksouljon

LOL, down on HP! :) Real problem is the wingnut connecting the throttle to the seat.
I too use the camera in tail with the lipstick camera mounted on the side. Same set up Treybone used. As a matter of fact, same camera.
Trey, looked good. Liked the music. Was that the first weekend with the unpainted bodywork on the SV?

TreyBone

That was the last RRR of the season. You know... the one you didn't show up for and the one I took Cari downtown to get loaded ;D

Maybe I will have some paint on it for next season. WHO KNOWS

funksouljon

Trey, next time you see Rick give him the bodywork and $30. I will spray it.
I don't know how you have the energy to go out on a race weekend. I have to go to bed after dinner.

rpsez

QuoteThat was the last RRR of the season. You know... the one you didn't show up for and the one I took Cari downtown to get loaded ;D

Maybe I will have some paint on it for next season. WHO KNOWS

Ok... that's not funny!!! Taking my girlfriend downtown to get loaded w/o my permission!!   ;D

As for the 'helmet cam' idea -- a previous poster has stated that you don't get a true representation of bike movement when you have the lipstick cam strapped to your head (vs. on the bike). I agree. Check the following link for a bunch of videos where the lipstick cam was positioned on the rider's head and juxtapose them with the videos of the lipstick cam on the bike...

//www.ftb-racing.com/movies2.htm

Next time Trey, well get some freaking audio when we film from your bike!!!  ;D

Rick