EX500 suggestions

Started by daviid, August 04, 2005, 07:25:37 PM

daviid

i am about to pick up a 88 or 89 EX500 and plan on racing it. anyone have suggestions on what i should do to it to make it a worthy race bike?
David | 03 Suzuki SV650 | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

Super Dave

The SV is probably a better bike.

I believe that the EX does not have 17" wheels on it.  That is gonna make it hard to source decent race tires for it.  

Suspension wise, similar things.  They haven't been heavily race for quite a time.  Standard fork work would be springs and a Race Tech emulator.  Add a rear shock.  Then do your set up work to get the chassis to feel right.

Power wise, in production form, they are down on power to SV 650's.  You can do motor work on them, but they cranks have a tendancy to break as the motor is, literally, half a 1000 Ninja...but they didn't add an extra crank bearing on one side, so they do break cranks when stressed.
Super Dave

spyderchick

The Ex has 17" front and rear, it's the FZR 400s that have the 18" rear.

EX= cheap bike, but don't plan on being seriously competitive on it. If you want it mostly to play, no big deal.

If you'd like to be somewhat competitive, get the SV for the Lightweight classes, it's what most riders are running, that or a Buell. You can pick up an older race ready SV for under $4000 if you look around.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cardzilla

I've never seen an EX that didn't blow up at some point... get the SV, you'll be much happier.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

QuoteThe Ex has 17" front and rear, it's the FZR 400s that have the 18" rear.

EX500's used 16" wheels stock front and rear.  An 88/89 WILL have 16's unless it's been modified.

When they became 500 Ninja's later in the 90's, they got 17's, but not the same size 17th that an SV uses.  There's no "proper" race rubber available for 16's either.
Super Dave

daviid

more info i should add. i plan on racing production twins @ NHIS. im getting this bike for 100$
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

Super Dave

Well, you'll have to enlighten us on the specific rules as LRRS does have its own rules on classes like that.

Tires will be tricky, regardless.  There wasn't much available for EX's in the late 80's for race rubber for them, and there isn't much now.

A radial would be better.  Michelin usually has some unique ones.  I have radials for my H1 road race project...wire wheels and all.

Super Dave

dylanfan53

Quotemore info i should add. i plan on racing production twins @ NHIS. im getting this bike for 100$
That explains a lot.  We don't see many in the Midwest since there are no production classes for them like there are in the northeast.

This forum is a good resource...
http://www.ex500riders.com/forums

It arose from a email list at www.micapeak.com.  I also recommend that email list although many have migrated over to the new website listed above.

There is a guy called FOG (Fast Old Guy) on both lists.  All else pale in comparison.  He knows everything about the EX and his word is the bible.  You can believe everything he says.  If you are lucky enough to get an answer to a problem from him it will be right on the money.  I've been on that list for about 10 years (though I rarely post anymore) and I think it's uncanny.

BTW, the EX500 had 16" wheels from '87 to '93.  From "94 on they went to 17" wheels.  Many have  converted the older version to 17" wheels.  Not always easy to get good rubber (150 rear/110front, IIRC) in either case but you'll find archives at the website that should help.

EDIT:
Sorry, it's www.micapeak.com.  I mispelled it in my first post.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Zac

Quote Not always easy to get good rubber (150 rear/110front, IIRC) in either case but you'll find archives at the website that should help.

You can get Pirelli Supercorsas in SC1 or SC2 compounds in the 110/150 sizes, just call the tire guy beforehand 'cause most don't stock them.  Michelin also lists the power race in 110/150.  At the begining of the year they wen't shipping yet, but they might be available by now.

-z.

Al_Soran

No problem finding tires here... of course I have 17 inch rims. The bike can be ridden in Ultralight Superbike, and Lightweight classes- not real competitive against the SV's except on the more technical tracks (read short straights) due to the hp difference, but I've had an absolute blast on mine, and it's great for cheap seat time. Good luck, and have fun!

Zac- how the hell you guys been? Guess we'll be seeing you all in Vegas in a few weeks. We just did Ted's track day and got the new suspension dialed in on the Buell...it's soooooooooo nice to have a few more ponies! Both of you be safe- see ya' in Sept!

daviid

Production Twins:
Standard production rules
Water cooled up to 500cc
Air cooled, OHC, two valves per cylinder up to 650cc.
Air cooled pushrod up to 1000cc
Updating is allowed.
Rain tires are allowed
NOTE: Buell Motorcycles are excluded from this class.

9.0 PRODUCTION CLASS RULES:

9.1 Machines must be standard factory production models intended for highway use in the United States or Canada. Comparable models may be changed, utilizing interchangeable parts, to meet either United States or Canadian specifications.

9.2 All machines must utilize the standard exhaust system supplied by the manufacturer intended for use on the highway. No modifications are allowed.

9.3 Fairings supplied as standard equipment are allowed. Removal of fairings is permitted; however, a headlight shell must be refitted.

9.4 Tires must be D.O.T. approved. No modifications of any sort are allowed. This includes the cutting of tires.

9.5 Handlebars may be changed but must mount to the original mount. No other modifications may be made to install the handlebars. Clip-ons are permitted.

9.6 Rear shock absorbers may be replaced with non-standard units provided the standard mounting points are used.

9.7 Footpegs and their brackets may be modified. Rearsets are allowed.

9.8 Final drive ratio, carburetor metering, brake linings and pad compound may be changed.

9.9 Steel braided brake lines may be used.

9.10 Disc brake rotors may be drilled. Discs may be replaced with aftermarket units of a ferrous material and of the same size as original equipment. Aluminum or carbon fiber disks are not allowed.

9.11 Seat padding may be partially removed and/or replaced with different padding.

9.12 Instruments and/or instrument clusters may be removed or a guard fitted. A tachometer may be refitted if desired.
9.13 Headlight sealed beam may be taped or removed but the shell and wiring must be in place.

9.14 Electrical system must be self-generating.

9.15 Steering dampers may be added.

9.16 Fork stops may be built up or modified.

9.17 No internal engine modifications are permitted. Intake and exhaust systems must be standard equipment and cannot be modified. Total loss lighting and ignition systems are prohibited.

9.18 Updating is permitted only by using regular production parts from the same specific model of a later model year. Backdating to the same specific model is also allowed.

9.19 Items to be removed in the interest of safety are: turn signals, rear view mirrors, side and center stands, license plate, and anything else as may be deemed dangerous by the scrutineer.

9.20 The final determination as to whether a part is allowed will be highway use legality and the existence of the part in the regular parts book. (No accessory books)

a. Fork braces are permitted.

-Benjamin Franklin

dylanfan53

:)
When I said "that explains a lot" I wasn't being sarcastic. I meant that we don't usually see many EXs in the midwest because we don't have production class racing.

The most important thing you'll do will be setting up the suspension.  Penske or Ohlins in back and RaceTech emulators with the correct springs in front, or you can cut down the existing springs about 3" and use a PVC spacer (length will vary depending on weight) to get the right sag.  Tips like that are on the forum I mentioned.
You may want clipons.  You will want rearsets and a steering damper.  The frame on that bike is flexible and you won't find easily adaptable frame sliders for it.  A fork brace is a waste of $$.  Walk around the pits and talk to others about how they have set up their bikes.    
Have fun.  It's a good bike to learn cornering.  
Don Cook
CCS #53