EX500 suggestions

Started by daviid, August 04, 2005, 07:25:37 PM

Super Dave

Goes back to how much you want to spend.  

EX's are hard to get clip ons for.  But you should talk to Eric Wood.  They, the Penguin School, was sponsored by Kawasaki for a long time.

Tires.  Got to have them.  Gonna be hard with 16's.

Brake lines are important and cheap.  Pads too.

Gearing could be important at Loudon as it's kind of a small bull ring.

Shock and fork work.  Yes, important, but all depends upon what you want to spend.  Really, I'd talk to Eric or Jeff Wood and get some ideas.  They will probably be able to give you a laundry list of what to do.  I think Eric race an EX a long time ago too.
Super Dave

dylanfan53

Looks like the Woods still make clip-ons.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17285

Unlike a true "clip-on" they mount to the top of the tube, just like the stock piece except they sit lower than stock.  They work fine.  Their rearsets are good quality too and hold up well in fall overs.

You will reeelly want to upgrade the rear swingarm to accomodate a 17" wheel.  Not hard to do.  Also, you can flip a '94+  front wheel around and use it.  All you'll need is a new spacer on the axle that is easy to make from stuff lying around.  You'll flip the wheel around since the rotor on the newer bikes is on the other side and mount the tire on in what will appear to be a backwards mount.  Your tire guy should be aware that he's to mount it backwards to the arrows stamped on the rim.  (Can't remember which side the rotor's on since it's been a while...oh wait, I could go down stairs and look at the one in the basement...nah, it's too late.)

BTW, if you're ever in the Midwest, please stop by and take the EX500 motor that's on my garage floor.  You can have the parts bike in the basement too if you like.  But no, I won't send it to you in pieces.  I'm too lazy.  ;)

Don Cook
CCS #53

daviid

my goal is take the penguin school Sept 2nd i believe. ive done 5 track days at loudon in the past year so im pretty well familiar with it. im not fast at all (according to the time stamp on my vid camera id say around 30-32's) although ive only ridden my 6r around there. it should be interesting with the EX. i guess i will have to talk with the EX racers up there next weekend
David | 03 Suzuki SV650 | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

daviid

QuoteLooks like the Woods still make clip-ons.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17285

Unlike a true "clip-on" they mount to the top of the tube, just like the stock piece except they sit lower than stock.  They work fine.  Their rearsets are good quality too and hold up well in fall overs.

You will reeelly want to upgrade the rear swingarm to accomodate a 17" wheel.  Not hard to do.  Also, you can flip a '94+  front wheel around and use it.  All you'll need is a new spacer on the axle that is easy to make from stuff lying around.  You'll flip the wheel around since the rotor on the newer bikes is on the other side and mount the tire on in what will appear to be a backwards mount.  Your tire guy should be aware that he's to mount it backwards to the arrows stamped on the rim.  (Can't remember which side the rotor's on since it's been a while...oh wait, I could go down stairs and look at the one in the basement...nah, it's too late.)

BTW, if you're ever in the Midwest, please stop by and take the EX500 motor that's on my garage floor.  You can have the parts bike in the basement too if you like.  But no, I won't send it to you in pieces.  I'm too lazy.  ;)

where about are you? i work in Celluar and i never know where im getting sent
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

Super Dave

QuoteYou will reeelly want to upgrade the rear swingarm to accomodate a 17" wheel.  Not hard to do.

I believe that the ZX6D model forks with wheel and swingarm with wheel are easy set ups that give you 17" wheels and more brakes.  That was the set up that the EX I raced had.  Still had handling issues with grip at the rear.

But, by the time you do that, you could have bought an SV...

I'd do the tires, get some brake lines, maybe upgrade the pads and try it and have fun.  That will probably make the $100 bike a $500 bike.  
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quotewhere about are you? i work in Celluar and i never know where im getting sent

He's in Indiana...but he can answer the city...
Super Dave

daviid

QuoteI believe that the ZX6D model forks with wheel and swingarm with wheel are easy set ups that give you 17" wheels and more brakes.  That was the set up that the EX I raced had.  Still had handling issues with grip at the rear.

But, by the time you do that, you could have bought an SV...

I'd do the tires, get some brake lines, maybe upgrade the pads and try it and have fun.  That will probably make the $100 bike a $500 bike.  

thanks;)

-Benjamin Franklin

dylanfan53

Although the ZX6 stuff can be fitted, I believe it will be illegal for your production class racing.  +'94 upgrades may be about as much money as you will want to spend since this is your first race bike.

I'm 50 miles east of Chicago near the singing sands of Lake Michigan, home of Diana of the Dunes.  

If you get to Chicago, I'm in the loop every day.

I have a bunch of old notes on Word that I collected over the years while lurking on the EX500 forum.  Ping me at dylanfan53@hotmail.com if you want me to send them to you.
Don Cook
CCS #53

lee955i

David, if you're taking the Penguin school and plan on racing the Sept. round, stop by center garage #22 and look for my red EX, #201 am. I'll be there late friday morning/early afternoon. Theres a bunch of us proddy twins weirdos who pit together ;D ;).
Cheers, Lee S.

kklracing

Don Cook - we want that engine and parts bike! Please get ahold of me. We can either meet you at Black Hawk, or make the trek to Chicago. (we were heading to Chicago on Saturday anyhow). Thanks, Kathie ;D

dylanfan53

Oh man...and packing was going to be so easy this time.  Now I have to drag that thing up from the basement too??

I left my phone # on your hotmail email.  I'll get packing... :(  :)
Don Cook
CCS #53