Lightwieght Supersport

Started by rm250, August 03, 2005, 09:58:17 AM

rm250

I see in the rulebook that twin cylinder air-cooled machines up to 1210cc are legal in lightwieght supersport, but at the bottom of the descriptions there is a NOTE: Ducati/Bimota/BMW Supermono/Woods Rotax are excluded. Does this mean Ducati Supermono's are excluded or all Ducatis are excluded? Is there a Bimota Supermono or a BMW Supermono? Is a 1993 air cooled Ducati 750ss legal in lightwieght supersport?

Zac

Yes, your Ducati is legal (I used to have one of those, I miss it sometimes).  That only excludes the Ducati Supermono.  Both Bimota and BMW built a small number of full race factory singles for European supermono racing, hence the exclusion.

-z.

rm250

so how do you think the 750ss will do in the LSS class?

Zac

It will do a lot better in ultra-light superbike.  

The power can be made competitive with SVs.  The pre-'99 twins are exempt from most of the engine mod rules in supersport, so you can run FCRs and cams and stuff and still be legal for LWSS.  Just be careful, the Pantah based cases on the 750 can't take giant amounts of power.  The five-speed tranyy will also limit performance on some tracks.

Really, the power isn't a big deal, the chassis is.  The old supersports were rather long with lazy geometery, so the don't flick well.  Rear ride height will help.  The bikes are pretty light (and can be made really light) so that helps.  Heavy riders will also want to go to dual disks up front.

It's a step down from the second gen supersports in handling, but a good rider could beat SVs with one.  It still come down to the rider.

-z.