First Tip - For complete newbies

Started by Admin, September 28, 2001, 02:36:54 PM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Tires!  Just because they're black and holding air does not mean they're still good.  A newbie might think that treadwear is the way to gauge tire life.  Not true.  The number of heat cycles a tire goes through is the real determining factor in how long you can continue to use it.  How many is too many?  That depends on the bike, your level of agression, and track conditions.
Here is what happens.  An average rookie (slow and in the way) can't use the full amount of grip he or she has available.  At this point, tires are not an issue.  The tires are showing almost no wear at all, but their goodness is going away.  The rookie picks it up to mid-pack speed, and eventually it seems that the bike couldn't possibly be ridden one speck faster without crashing.  At this point, the downward plunge of the tire's performance and the upward climb of the rookie's ability have intersected, but the rookie just percieves that he's reached "The Limit."  This is frustrating when you're riding at 11-10ths and finishing way back.  You can begin to question your ability and courage.  At this point, if you put on a new set of race compound tires, you might instantly go five seconds quicker!
Tires are expensive, but so is crash repair.  Add medical costs and time lost from work, and new tires seem like cheap insurance.  Don't ask me how I know all this...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

EX#996

QuoteTires are expensive, but so is crash repair.  Add medical costs and time lost from work, and new tires seem like cheap insurance.  Don't ask me how I know all this...

Ah Chris....  How do you know this?   ;D

What you said is true.  Fortunately we learned without the medical bills.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Steviebee

On the topic of tires and Heat cycles ?

What happens when your throw tire warmers in the mix ??

If you get up in the moring and toss on the tire warmers , then go out for practice, toss back on the warmers, practice, warmers .. etc. etc.

Is this less heat cycling than not having tire warmers??  Just wondering ?  I'm a total newb that is planning on starting racing this year.  I've put tire wamers on the list of "Wish I had them", and not "Must have" list.  But ,if they make tires last longer then that changes things a little.

Super Dave

Yes, you're spot on.  Reduces the temperature crash between cycles.  Should increase the tire life.

New tires are better, regardless.  The more experienced you are, the better feel you have for worn out tires.  That can be a big problem when you don't have that experience.

To really put it in perspective, the best part of the tire probably lasts twelve laps or so.  After that, it will go down hill.  Gradually, then more dramatically.

I does seem that tire warmers are becoming more of a requirement.  Some brands just need heat to even think about working.  This is in the current production radial DOT arena.  It wasn't like that several years ago with the tires we had then.  
Super Dave

kentlars

Just wing it!!  But most imoportant have fun!!!!!

mdr14

Dang, everyone has forgotten the most important thing, If using stock foot pegs, Remove the curb feelers (you know, those bolts on the bottom of the pegs that stick out a bit and "Let you know your really leaning over" because your dragging everything)
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

Thingy

Hey Matt, that little picture by your posts looks like you are 'backing it in.'   :)
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

mdr14

Bill,
The only reason it looks like I'm "backing" :P it in is because I " forgot" to take my curb feelers off my stock pegs. When I was going through the corner I was actually "leaned over" far enough to hit the peg on the ground, which in turn lifted my back end off the ground and kicked it sideways a little, So it " looks like I'm bacing it in. ;)-
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

schpreck

How about some tips and tricks for the Pit Crew?  

The only advice I can give is from the Daytona 200, and it is...

PRACTICE YOUR PIT STOPS!!!  Do it over and over again untill you can get the rear, and front on, as well as putting in gas in about 10 seconds.  It took us awhile to get it down, but with work, it CAN happen.  Also remember that AMA, (dunno about CCS), requires one person with a fire extinguisher.  This person cannot be working on the bike, but CAN take care of the rider...water, tear-offs, encouragement, and information on how other riders are doing.  Also, have all of the sockets, allens, etc. needed to do these things ready to go.  We powdercoated all the pit tools according to our own color-coded system.  Al Levington told us that trick and it REALLY works!

MightyDuc Racing

Newbie-to-newbie advice.  Read this thread about 6 times before going to a race, first of all.  Then just go out there and concentrate on looking way up the track, not target fixating, and going faster each lap.  I think the lap timer is a HUGE help, but I often didn't look at it until well into the next lap.  Also, set realistic goals, but don't be afraid to change them mid-day.  My first weekend goals were to not crash, not finish last, and have fun.  In my first few sessions I saved some big moments and found that I had to really mess up to crash, for the most part, so that part was cool.  Then I rode to a 4th in my first race form the back row after being knocked into the grass in turn 1...so that changed my finishing goal to shooting for the podium.  The next race I got on the podium, so that means at Moroso I'm shooting for a WIN!  Is this a bit eager or presumptious?  Maybe, but I know for darn sure that I had a blast and the having fun goal has become number 1 for the rest of the year.  My newest goal is a podium in Supertwins, where I'm underpowered a bit.  My point is, set your goals, hit 'em, and then keep on raising the bar and driving yourself.  Giving yourself something like that to concentrate on seems to take all of the nerves and toss 'em on the backburner, at least for me.  Just my .02.   Good luck!!!
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

R6Chris760

If you don't have tire warmers, take it easy at first and let the tires warm up!!!  I learned that leeson the hard way.  Cold tires tend to let go really fast if you try to go at race pace right from the get go.  Also take it easy on new tires, they tend to do the same thing.  The more track time you can get the better as stated earlier.  Suspension and track time are the best investments you can make for improving lap times.  A good school like VRS will also help you immensely.  If you ever need help with anything don't be afraid to ask, you'll find plenty of people willing to help.  What region will you be in?

-Chris-