News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

First Tip - For complete newbies

Started by Admin, September 28, 2001, 02:36:54 PM

Admin

Well, being a complete newbie, about the only advise I can offer to people is pretty basic, but it really helped me.  And its as simple as this:

Be relaxed on the bike

By just relaxing on the bike, I gained three seconds at Roebling Road.  It also makes longer races much easier to handle, and helps smoothness.

If anyone else has anything that really helped them, let us know!

Shawn

CB

Hi folks!

Hmmm...tips and tricks, eh?  How about some tips and tricks for the Pit Crew?  I'd love to hear from racers and other pit crew members as well!  I've got the check lists, the stopwatch, the camera...a bicycle to get me from A to B in a hurry...what else?!

Now I know that actually being out there riding is challenging at times, but WATCHING y'all out there can be quite challenging as well!  Especially at first!!!   :o  Honestly some days I am convinced that Pit Crew members need their own support crew!  :)

Tho I don't race (ummm...yet?) I thoroughly enjoy being at the track.  Any other Pit Crew members lurking out there?  I'd love to hear from you!!  

My first tip offered...?  I'd have to mirror the sentiments expressed by our admin...
  • Be relaxed while watching your rider!
A close second would have to be...
  • Make sure there is gas in the bike
    (Lessons learned... ::))

Eric Kelcher

Make a system for loading and get organized. Have bike ready at least one week before the race. Checklists are important. your list could be as simple as bike, gas can, money or as long as three pages which is where mine had gone when doing endurance and having three bikes and a 33' trailer to put it all in.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

sportbikepete

I've got a tip that even some seasoned racers have taken. When trying to put your hub back in the wheel, put a little windex on the rubber, slides in just perfect.

CB

Really great idea!  Believe me when I say I am writing these things down!  

Hey...is there gonna be a pop quiz?   ;)

Great tips...keep 'em coming!

Admin

QuoteMake a system for loading and get organized. Have bike ready at least one week before the race. Checklists are important. your list could be as simple as bike, gas can, money or as long as three pages which is where mine had gone when doing endurance and having three bikes and a 33' trailer to put it all in.

GAS!  Don't forget GAS! :)

bluzbrother

when they drop the flag make sure you're in gear too!! (that would be 1st gear). it helps immensely.

sportbikepete

Also do not eat a big lunch or you may have to "Purge" your system to get back in the leatehrs!

Mahly

BEST tip for newbies...go to trackdays! More track time, less preasure! Usually LOTS of fast guys (instructors/control riders) who will give you help for free, cause they ain't worried about you beating them, and they are not as serious as they would be at a race weekend.
TOP pick in MY book, try www.nesba.com
CCS MW EX #113

sportbikepete

www.nesba.com is extremely good at giving you track time and hlp. The Control Riders there are by far the best and if you want it they will take the entire day to help you out. Also you get so much track time in one day you really get a chance to try different things without worrying about screwing up.

Ungwaha

To practice your starts head to the local drag racing park on the run what ya brung nite.  This helped me out more than the stop light to stop light stuff I used to do. ;D
Damn I'm slow

Litespeed

Since I am a newbie myself but very experienced with starting new hobbies the best piece of advice I can give is set realistic goals.  My goal for my first weekend of racing was to finish mid pack, but that wasn't really a mandatory goal for me because it's too hard to know how fast the others will be.  I instead set the goal of 1:12's at the track and ended up getting numerous 1:11's in my final race.  I pretty much felt fatigued from the start of the first practice since I was sick leading up to that weekend so my next goal will be to feel composed on the bike and not desperate to hang on.  I would also like to get into the 1:09's next time out but feeling better is the primary goal.