Paul and Dawn Buxton

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well lets just say it was better with the volume off. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

EX#996

LOL!!!!

What gets me is that Debber half the time don't know what racer he is talking about. Barros is walking away from the camera, name on the leathers and he still calls him Bayliss.  He does again and again! It drives me nuts!

I do appreciate the insite that Spencer gives, he just needs to speed up the delivery a bit so he's not talking over the action on the track. Did you see Xaus and White waiting for him to finish?

Spencer reminds me of a school teacher.  While he knows the material, he doesn't always know what's happening in the classroom.

;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Woofentino Pugrossi

Back when I raced bicycles. whenever I could watch teh Coors Classic or someother race that was shown Drebber actually sounded like he knew what was going on. Now he does motorcycles and screws the pooch. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Fat_Nate

Better or worse than the crew that normally calls those things?

I know they're busy, etc., but I had to laugh when I saw the Checa dust cloud and waited for about a minute for the spotters to tell the announcers that someone was down.

I'm too happy about Nicky and Colin to care, though.

StumpysWife

Remember had to go with the Dorna video.  So rather than having a feel for where the video was going they had to keep up with it and figure out something to say about it, i.e. Rossi's butt.  

I thought it was fine.  Half the time I don't listen because I'm too busy chanting,  "Don't toss it, Nicky.  Please don't toss it."  

I think I was more happy for Earl than anyone.  

Good job, Nicky!

dylanfan53

That Barros thing was a hoot!

With a few slip ups at least they did a better job than the stoner moron that butchered the national anthem.  I didn't know the words "Oh, Jesus" were part of the lyrics.  ::)  

BTW, it was also pretty pathetic that an Italian had to tell Edwards to stop sucking the water bottle and remove the hat during the national anthem. Sheesh. Blowing snots into the air in front of the camera and then that?  How am I supposed to cheer him on? Yuk.

It was a terrific race though! Go Nicky.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Jeff

I didn't watch the race, but I can't believe they wouldn't have the euro announcers that normally call the race!  Those guys are great.  You'll never find more enthusiasm for a job than those two...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Fat_Nate

That's the thing -- everyone saw Checa crashing in the background (telltale dust cloud).  Well, everyone but the people CALLING THE RACE!  I mean -- a forgiveable miss, for sure.

I wish we could have more footage of Rossi pulling his leathers into the daylight.  Wow -- I don't need to see that again EVER.

All in all, though, awesome.

QuoteRemember had to go with the Dorna video.  So rather than having a feel for where the video was going they had to keep up with it and figure out something to say about it, i.e. Rossi's butt.  

I thought it was fine.  Half the time I don't listen because I'm too busy chanting,  "Don't toss it, Nicky.  Please don't toss it."  

I think I was more happy for Earl than anyone.  

Good job, Nicky!

spyderchick

I kept getting upset that they were calling Rossi's attempts to pull his ill fitting leathers out of his crotch his "race routine". C'mon guys, they were so far up his @ss it probably took 1/2 second off his lap times. (Which was actually good, cuz it allowed Nicky to win!)

And there were far too many commercials, and then when they came back, they's show paddock shots for 20 seconds while we yelled at the TV!  :o ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Clay

I agree, the American announcers suck compared to the regular GP guys.  

Colin, you disappoint me with your "proud" showing during the national anthem.   ::)

Nicky...WAY TO GO!!! Livin' the dream man!

Yeah, the paddock shot after the commercial break was drivin' me nuts.  I thought they'd red flagged the race or something!  

Old808

QuoteI kept getting upset that they were calling Rossi's attempts to pull his ill fitting leathers out of his crotch his "race routine".
It IS a routine.  If you get more than just race coverage, you'll see that he pulls his undies out of his crack EVERY TIME he rides down the pit lane, and often when he gets off the bike.

tug296

Drebber must know someone in high places, to continue butchering the call of AMA races is bad enough, but to allow him to call the Moto G.P. was a terrible decision. Hopefully only the U.S. fans had to hear that.
Who ever is responsable for the dunce that shamed the National Anthem should be slapped and put in jail for 48 hrs.
 At least have the words written down just in case the months of preperation is not enough time to memorize the words.

Can't take away from the great racing though.
Our local news gools had nothing about it, as usual.
It was all about neckcar, golf and the local AA baseball team losing to the Birmingham Bisquits.

Monday morning on speed news, they still had Bayliss crashing out instead of Barros.
Can't have everything right, but they could at least work to get it correct.

I read there was going to be one full minute of silence for the Brittish victoms of cowardly bombings in London, I think it was like 2.6 seconds.

Congrats to Nicky Hayden, and all American Riders.

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Dawn

In regards to the national anthem....  Have any of you performed in front of a large group of people?  Now try it in front of 50,000+ with TV coverage.  Could you do it?  When he messed up he was probably mortified it happened.  

Colin not removing his hat...  Well I'm sure he had other things on his mind at the time and simply forgot.  As you were sitting in your living rooms, what were you doing when the anthem was playing?  Were you standing at attention with your hand over your heart, or discussing how the person singing messed up?

As a person on another board said... Acutally having respect for the flag and what it stands for is more important than just going through the motions.

Laugh about it and be done with it,

Dawn   ;)

Steviebee

Quote Have any of you performed in front of a large group of people?  

Colin not removing his hat...  

No i havent,  and i dont get paid to do it as a profession.  That was a huge mistake.

Yea,  Colin you dunce, wakeup

Spencer i think is ok,  but Drebber is a tard.  He make so many mistakes its just kills me.

Lowe119

Fat_Nate

Quotebut Drebber is a tard.  He make so many mistakes its just kills me.

Ah -- but he recognized Brad Pitt IMMEDIATELY!  I mean, even with the dyed hair and shades!

roadracer67

If I saw one more second of fumbduck Brad Pitt I was going to put my foot through the T.V. screen. I only thought he was cool when he was married to Jennifer ;) I was also screaming so loud that the annoucer had the wrong name the people next door heard me!!!!!!!

Ridgeway

Can't stand Drebber.  Spencer is tolerable.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

gma

Man ...

You people are BRUTAL ...

I should consider myself very lucky to only get the few pokes I do get ... shees!

Remember this ...

The job of host / talent / comentator / etc is a job whereby not everyone will be satisfied.

It's actually far more difficult than those not in the industry can imagine. It requires a lot of multitasking and other skills - all of which have to be executed on the fly and in a very chaotic setting. In fact, you could tell when Dreb was being talked to in his ear.

Remember that they're not always looking at the monitor, so it's easy to miss an instant of a cloud of dust or to only catch part of a rider's name on their leathers - especially with the small monitors (about 12") that two or three people are crowded around.

Freddie brings credibility because of his name and accomplishments as well as technical analysis. He continues to learn broadcasting skills. Drebber brings the ability to glue a broadcast together and manage the unexpected. White brings "How do you feel?" and weather reports but he brings no hair.

I was impressed. It got the job done. I welcome your comments on more of what you would have liked to have seen or heard that was missing rather than lynching what was seen and heard.

Ridgeway

My biggest gripe with Drebber is that he, like has already been stated, is the John Madden of roadracing commentary.  He sits there for an hour and spouts the obvious.

There was a lengthy article in Roadracing world a few months ago that really hit the nail on the head in my opinion.  The US announcers basically just dictate along with what you can plainly see on the screen...

I'd like the commentary to add some actual information that goes beyond, Edwards passed Rossi...  The gap this lap is 2 seconds...  The gap this lap is 1.9 seconds...  Sorry, I can read the timing ticker, tell me something interesting...

Spencer should be analyzing various rider's lines around the track and pointing out differences, race strategy, etc...  Get us in the rider's heads a bit.

The closest I've seen to truly insightfull commentary was Jason Pridmore's guest stint in the booth awhile back.  He really gave a racer's perspective on the events and didn't simply dictate the race.  He through in a lot of "I would do this", and "I'll bet he does that", and "I told you he'd do that" which I could do without, but a bit of polishing and he'd be a really good announcer.

Till then, I'd rather do without the commentary and just listen to the bikes go round.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

Fat_Nate

Here's an example of what I think the race commentary should be -- the broadcast team on OLN for the Tour de France is basically two guys, Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin, who really know a lot about each stage, each rider, each team, tactics, history, etc.  They are really well prepped, very alert and point stuff out that leaves you actually more educated and informed than you were at the start.  They have real world experience, too, that they can talk about.  (I think Sherwin rode the Tour seven times.)  It's like listening to students of the sport . . .  

Of course, the OLN team also includes Al Trautwig, who has almost no clue and says goofy comments that make no sense.   That part is more like listening to the evening news -- or Drebber!

The race was so awesome that it didn't really matter, but good announcers can actually make watching the race much more than just watching the race.

Okay -- I'll be quiet now.