R1 superbike riders, opinions needed

Started by cardzilla, July 08, 2005, 02:03:17 PM

cardzilla

I'm considering buying a moderately built '04 R1 superbike to race next year and It would really help to have some feedback on the bike since I've never ridden one.  I'd wanted to get the gsx-r k5, but finding one that is prepped for a deal is, well, dreamland.  Everything from throttle response to steering, handling, reliability, etc.  You can PM me as well.  Thanks in advance for the help.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

extrakt0r

Well, I race a superstock machine, but i'll give you my feedback anyway  ;)

#1 Horsepower is awesome. My engine is bone stock and I have 168RWHP available to me at anytime...

#2 Brakes...Stock brakes are ok, but I upgraded my lines to SS and MC to a Brembo 19x18 and the bike stops on a dime now...

#3 I have a Penske 3 and Traxxion Forks, so the handeling on the bike is awesome (Provided you have the correct Trail - Right Super Dave  ;D) If you suspension is not tuned, the bike will handle like a turd. It will not turn well, and is not stable in corners unless she is setup for that specific track. In my experiance the R1 needs to totally different setup for each track, there is no "baseline" for her that works "good" across multiple tracks.

#4 I have not had one single issue with my bike. I replace my Carbonee Loraine (sp?) pads after every 3 race weekends, and oil after every weekend, and have not had one single mechincal issue. That includes about 15K in street miles, and 3K in Track/Racing miles...

#5. I have a full graves system w/ PC3 and throttle response is great. W/O the EXUP the bike is a little slow  :o below 7K, but once above 7K she just rips into next year.

#6 I have no issues w/ power sliding out of every corner, so expect to use 1 set of tires per race weekend, and 2 on a twin sprint weekend.

Most people say the bike is a R6 with a 1000CC motor in it...It is very skinny, very fast and very very pimp when the operators knows how to use her (I am just now getting to that point  ;D)

I have on-board video, and lots of pics of my 04 R1 Race bike on my site, so you can see and hear what she sounds like on the track....

-Mike
Mike Simone
CCS/ASRA Great Plains EX #619
www.teamsimoneracing.com

2005 CCS AM Unlimited GP Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperBike Champion
2005 CCS AM Unlimited SuperSport Champion

Super Dave

Yeah...

Bikes are just a sum of parts.

If it's not really set up, who cares.  That's a simple fact.  I've worked with quite a few riders that have had bikes that they have bought from other racers, and the owners paid good money for them from the previous owner.  Then they don't get the feedback from the bike because it's just poorly set up.

Tires...

Faster you go, the more you need.  And if it's not set up well, you'll destroy them trying to get there.

How fast do you want to go?  I can feel my rears drop off after 12 laps or so on my R6, but an R1 will consume them even faster.  
Super Dave

cardzilla

Thanks for the help.  I agree with you, Dave.  It is hard to get feedback from someone else's setup.  Extrak, thanks for the detail.  The bike is probably already sold now anyway, but I think I've narrowed it down to the R1 or the K5 GSX-R.  I'm actually starting to think the R1 may be better in terms of parts availability and R&D.  To the question of how fast do I want to go... VERY  ;D The real question is how fast can my wallet go  :-/
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

I know that Yamaha parts are cheap compared to others.  
Super Dave