schools

Started by slowpoke97, December 03, 2002, 08:14:58 AM

slowpoke97

spyderchick

This is a lose/lose question. The schools listed have different agendas, and you need to choose the school that best fits your needs. Also, there are various schools available regionally, as well as schools that travel nationally to offer their own teaching philosophy throughout the country. My 2cents.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Bam55

And very well put ;) Alexa!

Proud VRS Instructor
    Patrick "Thorny" Thornton  

tzracer

The 2 schools listed don't really compete with each other. Not sure if agenda is the correct term.

LCR does mainly licensing schools, VSR does mainly track days and racing schools.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

Exactly. The question is a bit open.

But, Visionsports does not do track days.  Only high performance motorcycle instruction.  Blackhawk Farms puts on a track day.  That's practice.  And if practice were the only key to going faster, race teams would not need riding advisors and suspension engineers in addition to the engine builder and tuner.

What are you looking for?  You have to ask that question yourself.
Super Dave

spyderchick

QuoteNot sure if agenda is the correct term.

Agenda in the literal sense:
Webster's unabridged; agenda a list , plan, outline or the like, of things to be done, matters to be acted upon...

not in the political sense.  :)

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Super Dave

Dave's agenda...

Everyone should be faster than me.  I can help.  And you save money quickly by NOT wasting money on what you don't need.  (Someone has to say it.  I don't beat around the bush.  There are things to buy, and things not to.)
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Dave, I made a purchase last nite......
one twelve pack of Corona and a couple o' limes. I hope that's on your need to buy list!!

Super Dave

Two Mike's Hard Lemonades just leave me out in the weeds.  Cheaper than a twelve.  

Maybe I'm just a cheap date? ???
Super Dave

tzracer

The reason I said I would not use agenda, is that I have never heard it used to refer to the material covered in a course. I am an insructor in real life (college physics and math), cirriculum is the term that is most often used. It is that anal scientist (and the instructor - slay ignorance whenever possible) in me that forces me to use correct terminology - physics very much depends upon correct use of terminology - speed and velocity are not the same thing, acceleration and deceleration are the same thing. My teaching experience (which is much more than just the ability to teach - but all the work it takes to create and update a curriculum) is one of the main reasons Rick asked me to be an instructor. Just because a person is well versed in a subject does not mean that they can teach the subject. Those that can, do; those that understand, teach.

Dave, we differ on the definition of track day. Before I started doing track days I asked riders (both racers and street riders) what they expected at a track day. Almost all said riding with instruction. So that is my definition of a track day - track riding with instruction tailored to the level and goals of the group. What Blackhawk does I refer to as open practice or a practice day.

BTW Dave what you list as an agenda should really be called an educational philosophy. I do agree with it. What good is an instructor if their students do not become better than themselves?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

spyderchick

Hey Brian, I need your address so e-mail me with that.

Curriculum: the aggregate courses of study given in a school, college, university, etc.

So, while the cirriculum for the course might be diverse, that agenda for the day's lessons could be intensive and focused.

see i got me some learnin'  tuh huh... tuh huh ::)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

the_weggie_man

needer one o' youse guys noes wat yer yakin' bout.
agenders, fysics, curlyiculums (dat related to katie curic?) an all dat fancy, shmansy gerbage. it's all hors dung. shut up an ride. :P