News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Trivia

Started by spyderchick, July 05, 2005, 07:35:52 AM

spyderchick

So...who will be the first to answer this one correctly?
10 brownie points to the one who gets it right, 5 for the most clever.;)

What is the origin of the term "Bus Stop" in racing? There's a very specific answer.  ;D Good luck!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

gma

From the road course of Spa, Belgium. Old course was run on country roads - roads travelled by cars and busses - significant mode of transportation for the rural area just outside of town. A deviation from the main road offered a space for the busses to stop and receive and discharge passengers.

As the new course was updated, the deviation was maintained and the name of its origin was kept.

BTW, were the stands and walls not present at this track, bearing left at what is now the turn one hairpin would take you into town.

spyderchick

ding ding ding! We have a winna!

Should have known you would get it right! ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

Gee, next time I'll make it harder. Actually, it's strange that people refer to "the bus stop" at Blackhawk, because that's where people tend to park it. I just thought it would be cool if you knew the history of the term. Almost every track seems to have a bus stop now.

So..Griff...which track has "le curve grande"?
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

gma

You had no idea I was such a bada$$, did you?

What did I win?

Estoril, I believe.

spyderchick

Eehhhhhrrrrrrahhhh. Wrong. You lose 5 brownie points. It's Monza.  ;D

Can you locate Rascasse? ;) This should be easy...
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

gma

No fair.

It's Curva - not Curve.

The question is therefor invalid. I want my points back.

:)

La Rascasse is the second last sequence (corner) of Monaco - where Raikkonen played pinball with his McLaren two years ago - a btch of a corner. It's exit is now the new pit entry.

Here's one for you ...

Why do mirrors reflect left to right and not top to bottom?

Figure that one out and you can have all your points back ...

tee hee hee ...

Dawn

The mirror simply reflects that light.  This is the reason for the left to right reversal because if you only hold up your hand on one side, the mirror will only reflex the light from the hand your holding up.  

I'm sure there's a clearer way to state this, but with only 5 minutes left on my break, I can't put a lot of thought into this.

Cheers!

Dawn  

spyderchick

Shall we discuss angle of incidence and angle of reflection? Convex and concave optics?

Or perhaps the physics of how the light is bent and captured by the retina, which shows images upside down, (much like a camera lens) which is then corrected through the optics and neurons of the eye?

We could discuss cones and rods, ganglion cells and how that whole process occurs.

Long story short, if you stood on your head, the relection would be reverse up to down anyway, but since you are standing on axis, the reflection will be left to right.

Perception is reality.

;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

gma

Nice try, but I get to keep my points.

Actually, the question isn't even valid, because mirros don't reflect / reverse left to right.

I admired the verbage, though

spyderchick

QuoteNice try, but I get to keep my points.

Actually, the question isn't even valid, because mirros don't reflect / reverse left to right.

I admired the verbage, though

;D  Actually, I'm correct, but so are you. It has to do with reflection of light, and the optics of the eye are a different thing, which is why I put that in there. Next time I'll look it up in some scientific paper or something.

Care to tap dance with me?  ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Burt Munro

OK...so what's the acidity level of tears? ;D
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!