News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Say YES to transponders

Started by bfkidd, December 03, 2002, 05:28:23 AM

spyderchick

Along with the scoring crew, transponders help reduce scoring errors.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Additionally, if we'd like to do gridding based on practice qualifying times, it could be done.  I think that should be the way that ULGP should be done.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Unfortunately the transponders in all their greatness are not that accurate from bike to bike. They have proven to be very accurate on lap times but when you look at placement on the bike and the size of the "pick-up" they are not that accurate in telling who crossed the finish line first. But they can get a close aporxiamte of what the finish order was or even an exact finish order if bikes are sec or so apart maybe closer if the transponders are mounted in SAME location on same bike model.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

TreyBone

Super Dave

Ok, I'll let everyone in on the trick.

Example.  In SCCA, you have to run transponders.  And you have to buy your transponder at the cost of almost $400.  Then, I believe that you are responsible for it's care and feeding (charged?).  Break it, buy another one.  So, what do you say to the guy that comes to your local Learning Curves School for one-hundred whatever dollars expecting to race.  Now he has to buy a transponder?  

So, CCS is looking for a way to get the program going without costing the riders a great deal of money up front.  Honestly, CCS needs more riders.  This would not help.
Super Dave

davegsxrold929r

QuoteWhat's the advantage to having a transponder anyways?

The only reason I'd want one is cuz they look kinda cool on my bike, and you can get postings of you lap times.  Those aren't very good reasons, especially since I have a laptimer.  I don't know if "looking cool" is worth the trouble.

So what's the other advantages?

lets see you lap a guy and then after the race look at the finish standing and come to find out the guy finished right behind you ?? or you didnt pass him and they score him ahead of you ?? hmmm

with a transponder he would show down a lap and be placed properly !!!  
i saw this at VIR with the people doing the scoring ., !!  humans can loose track or miss a bike..

plus if there is a red flagg it does not take 20min to regrid everyone.,  they have the sheet almost instantly..

it has alot of benefits ., i believe they should be included in the fees though,.,. i would not want to have to buy one ,.,.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Word is that our entry fees are going up $5 per race entry.  Hopefully, this is to pay for the transponders.
 Does anyone besides me think that $225 is a bit much to pay for four (3 + 1 with a purse) races?  Let's see.  With twin sprint weekends, figure 20 x $225.  That's $4500 for the regular season, and doesn't take into account that there will probably be "special" pricing at certain tracks like Road America.
Of course we'll also be looking forward to TWO drives to Omaha this year instead of one, and a trip to Sweet Home Alabama as well.  This is getting too damn expensive.
Chris  
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Mongo

Just out of curiousity - what would be your tire bill for the same races?  How about your travel?  Crash repairs?  Gasoline?  

Complain about all of those as well while you're at it.  Sanctioning bodies are nowhere neart he profit levels of the tire companies.  To actually hit the realm of good business people we should be charging 50-100% more than we currently do.  

This is a hobby, we have to charge you money to provide you  a place to enjoy your hobby.  Ifyou can no longer afford your hobby then maybe you need a newer, cheaper hobby.  Hell, I never could afford it which is why I cornerworked and officiated to enjoy my hobby...

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

sdiver68

SD...The guy with the hundred dollars that wants to race won't last anyway.  At best he would help subsidize the track for the racers a time or 2.  NO big loss.

If Kevin or Sean start showing up at the track in their own personal helicopter, after flying in on their private jet,  than I'll start to look at my track fees a little closer :)  Although, not to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but CCE's Financial Statements do seem pretty healthy lol.....
MCRA Race School Instructor

K3 Chris Onwiler

This is a hobby, we have to charge you money to provide you  a place to enjoy your hobby.  Ifyou can no longer afford your hobby then maybe you need a newer, cheaper hobby.  Hell, I never could afford it which is why I cornerworked and officiated to enjoy my hobby...

Gosh.  I was wrong to bitch about how much racing costs.  Your condecending tone has really made me see the error of my ways.  Just for the record, I cornerworked and officiated for fifteen years before I took my riders school.  Now that I've won six championships and earned a top five at Daytona, perhaps I should just take up knitting.  As it is, the three jobs that I have to work in order to afford this 20K a year hobby/habbit are really making me tired.  Perhaps if you worked three jobs then you too would be able to whine without cause about how much racing costs.  Gee.  Do I seem a little offended by your attitude?  I'm sure that's an inappropriate response...
Chris
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

Perspective from me...

In 1987, it was $30 for the first race, $20 for the second, and $10 for each one after.  My GSXR750 cost $4200 retail off the show room floor.  Race fees went up that year.  Tires were about $180 a set.

I remember that I think you could race all the races you wanted to for $200 in 1991.  In 1993 when I won nine championships, entering nine classes cost around $300.  

But, the tracks cost more because of the sound problems brought on by people that move their residence near a track.  Like complaining about the smell when you move next to a pig farm.

And then there is the insurance.  Insurance for my program has basically doubled from 2000 to 2002.  

Yes, the cost of entering races suck$.  Is it their fault?  No.  Too many races?  Maybe for us in the MW/GP/GL region.  Nine to ten races would be good.  thirteen to fourteen?  Ouch...
Super Dave