ULW SUPERBIKE 500cc?

Started by jerdman852, June 20, 2005, 08:51:54 AM

jerdman852

hi all,
can i put a CR or KX motocross bike engine in my SUZ. GS500 chassis, are run ULW SB? has anyone ever seen this (or similar) combo before?
also, is there a minimum weight limit? what is it? do single's have to follow this rule.
thanks,
john
Thanks!!!
JE

Zac

I race my CR500 motard in ULWSB.  

The rules are a tad bit ambigous, because they say "Single Cylinder, Unlimited displacement, Unlimited Frame" with no mention of two or four stoke.  Last year it also said "Two stroke, 515cc", but for this year they changed it to I think 300cc.

My CR is a single so I go by the first line.  If anyone ever protests, I will bring up the point that the ULWSB class was created as a combination of the MW Sportsman, LW Sportsman, and SuperSingles classes.  The CR was legal for SuperSingles.

There is no minimum weight limit.  I would guess that my CR weighs around 240.  In any case, it doesn't have much of an advantage.  My wife regularly beats me on her MZ.  The CR (which is by no means stock engine wise) is quicker out of a slow corner than the MZ (the 100 lb weight advantage makes up for my 80 lb disadvantage), but the MZ (which is also by no means stock) has a lot more top speed and mid corner speed.

I've seen a few CR500 engines in different frames.  Generally they try to shake the new frame apart.  The other issue is power delivery, there is no way to make a fast and smooth 2-stroke big single.  With big carbs (I run a 41mm) and big ports, the hit-miss at maintance throttle will upset the chassis midcorner.  But it sure is fun to out accelerate SVs.  

I've thought of picking up a second TZ250 and pulling the engine as a spare for my TZ, and throwing in the CR engine.  It would be pretty wicked.

-z.

jerdman852

Thanks!!!
JE