News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tear offs

Started by Team20, June 15, 2005, 07:40:29 PM

Team20

I understand why they would not be allowed, but are they?

Thanks

Woofentino Pugrossi

I dont think they are allowed.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

ecumike

Not in CCS races, but I believe in the FUSA ones they are.

PJ721

5.1 RIDER EQUIPMENT
5.1.1 Undamaged full-face helmet with face shield and bearing a stamp of approval from
one of the following international standards:
D. O. T. FMVSS – 218 (USA)
Snell M95 and M2000 (USA)
BS. 6658 TYPE. A (GREAT - BRITAIN)
ECE 22 - 04 & ECE 22 - 05 "P" (EUROPE)
A. It is required that all riders put their competition number on the chin bar or side of
their helmets to aid in identification should the rider be involved in a multi-bike
incident.

nothing about tear offs being prohibited.  ???
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

KBOlsen

If not specifically prohibited...

...they're allowed, right?
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Team20

I read the same rules as posted above too. I guess if it's not in the book then I can use them?

Thanks

Gixxerblade

Why would you need them for a 7 or 8 lap sprint race? Maybe but not likely for a GT race. To me its jusst another thng to pay attention too. I already have my hands full thinking about other stuff on the track. 2¢

Chris_s

i use them and i pass tech no problem.  i dont see a need for them other than protecting the shield itself.  its very easy between sprints to tear one off and slap another on.  no chips from stones etc.

TZDeSioux

I use them but only because I got a crap load of them for free with my helmet. I don't ever tear one off during a race or practice. I use it more to protect the shield just like chris_s.

cardzilla

Good post.  This is a real sore spot for me.  Let's break this down logically.  What would happen should the patch of asphalt your contact patch wants to occupy at full lean were to coincide with the location of a used tearoff?  Correct, crash.  Now, I know the odds are extremely high against that happening, but it COULD happen.  I'm of the opinion that something that COULD cause a crash and isn't necessary should be illegal.  I could see using one in case a large bug should obscure your view because that would again be considered dangerous.  The problem lies when people use them because they're "irritated" by a little gnat or something.  
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

tigerblade

QuoteGood post.  This is a real sore spot for me.  Let's break this down logically.  What would happen should the patch of asphalt your contact patch wants to occupy at full lean were to coincide with the location of a used tearoff?  Correct, crash.  Now, I know the odds are extremely high against that happening, but it COULD happen.   

Ben Bostrom claimed he hit a tear-off when he lowsided during Superpole at Laguna a few years ago...
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Team20

Thanks for all the viewpoints, I was just wondering. Yes I can see them not only causing a mess laying all over the place or even the small chance of one causing a wreck. The reason I asked was I thought having one (1) on might be nice if you do get the big bug splat that only smears when you try to clear it with your glove-if you don't hit one then don't tear it off. I don't care about saving the shield, they are cheap. It's the vision I am worried about.

PJ

QuoteBen Bostrom claimed he hit a tear-off when he lowsided during Superpole at Laguna a few years ago...

Yet another creative excuse from BBoz.  ::) What's next, the dog ate my corner speed?

Tear-offs are valuable for protecting your faceshield from pitting, even in sprint races. Faceshields aren't cheap.

I rarely tear one off during a race, but they're nice to have when you crush a dragonfly at a buck twenny.

BTW, nobody removes a tear off in the corners. Therefore you don't find them in the corners.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

speedster_1

QuoteBTW, nobody removes a tear off in the corners. Therefore you don't find them in the corners.

Yep.

cardzilla

Fellas, you would be bad CSIs.  There is WIND on the racetrack and the tear offs are at its mercy.  They could blow into a corner as well as anywhere else. Highly unlikely, but possible.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

PJ

QuoteThere is WIND on the racetrack and the tear offs are at its mercy.  They could blow into a corner as well as anywhere else. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Tear offs are torn off on the straight(s). Before you get on the brakes, long before the corner.

I have never personally heard of evidence of anyone crashing on a tear off.

Granted it may be possible to have one find it's way to a corner. But I doubt that even hitting one while cornering would cause enough of an extended loss of traction to make you crash.

Come on. If this was a legitimate concern, would MotoGP, WSB, AMA, F-USA, WERA, CCS, etc. allow them?
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Jeff

So here's a question...  Who picks them up after the race?
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

davegsxrold929r

i use them., but just to protect the shield., they get pitted to heck without them.,    and i never tear them off on the track., only in the pits and into the garbage can.,    

Hyperdyne_Racing

WERA changed the ruling last year regarding tearoffs.  Riders can use them, but they may only be torn off on straits.

I have always duct tape them to the visor, then replaced them after I get back to the pits.  Unless I have a back to back race, there is little trouble if any.
I didn't come here to make friends... I brought my own

Jeff

Maybe I'm alone here, but they sound like they're more trouble than they're worth.

A new faceshield is about $20.  $30 for a tinted one.  I carry 2 clear and 1 tinted, and don't really have any problem.  But hey, that's just me.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Team20

The only reason I asked about these was because of bugs-no bugs, it does not get torn off. So I guess with ALL said, they can be used per the rules?

Thanks

grasshopper

Tear offs for road racing is getting pretty nit picky. OH NO I GOT A BUG ON MY FACE SHIELD!!! LOL!!!! I CAN'T SEEEEEE.... AHHHHHHHHHH I'M GOING TO CRASH!!!

How big of a difference is a fricken bug going to make?

Tear offs are more practical for dirt track, TT, or motocross racing, where there actually is dirt and crap collecting on the face shield or goggles.

My opinion, no offense to any here, just my opinion.

About picking them up! Thats a good idea after the races are done, you can always clean them and duct tape them back on for future use.

gsxr_rcr

QuoteFellas, you would be bad CSIs.  There is WIND on the racetrack and the tear offs are at its mercy.  They could blow into a corner as well as anywhere else. Highly unlikely, but possible.

And I could win the lottey tonight, as well as sleep with your motorcyle, eat your cheese, drink your beer.  I use the tear offs and I have never torn one off in the race.  I have had 2 rip off at daytona but it was in the front straight where it should be done anyway.  Tear off's are very valuable to the owners of them and are an emeny of people who dont, is that because they are bad or are they Jealous????

K3 Chris Onwiler

I usually keep a tear-off on my shield.  The only time I've ever ripped it off on-track was during an endurance race.  A full tank of gas lasts a long time, and if you hit a B29 bug on the second lap of your stint, you'll be glad to have a tear-off installed.
Had a bee sting me in the throat at Gingerman last week.  I was dragging a knee through turn 8 at the time.  I'd say "What are the odds of that," but the next session it happened to someone else!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

kz2zx

Quote from: K3 Chris OnwilerHad a bee sting me in the throat at Gingerman last week.  I was dragging a knee through turn 8 at the time.  I'd say "What are the odds of that," but the next session it happened to someone else!

Now what are the odds of THAT?

Clarkie49

I use them more to protect the visor but during practice this morning it started misting so i pulled one off in the bowl (turn 6) at Loudon on a damp track .......... what are the chances of that?

I have been following a Buel in practice and it started spewing oil and it went over my visor so i pulled one off while on the brakes so i could see where the hell the corner was ........... what are the chances of that?

Guys this is motorcycle racing, i have seen motorcycles and riders do very strange things, i have seen some crazy stuff happen and while you shouldnt tear them off during the cool down lap it is good to know that if you ride through a swarm of bugs, someone kickes up mud or dirt or someone loses an engine in front of you it is good to know that you do at least have a choice

my 2c  :)

L8brake731

Ever follow a Buell for a couple laps? How about a 2-stroke? How about when CCS is running a little late on race day (boy, that never happens) and you have the last race and all those gnats are just looking for your clean face shield?

If the wind blows a tear-off from 50 yards down the straight onto the very spot YOU picked for entry, well, I guess it just must be your time.

S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731