News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Watter wetter?  Evans? or pure H2O????

Started by Apollo, November 28, 2002, 12:10:17 PM

FastBoy

One thing of note. Evans and Engine Ice are no longer allowed for NESBA track days/schools.

ceesthadees

"One thing of note. Evans and Engine Ice are no longer allowed for NESBA track days/schools. "

Really?, any reason given?

FastBoy

No not yet. I just saw it on their website after signing up for a few classes. In BIG bold letters under the tech prep section.

I've heard grumblings from some racers that CCS and WERA were considering the same but they (the racers) weren't sure.

I'm pissed. I just filled my track/race bike with it and bought a couple extra gallons as well in case of a crash and dump/damage.

BC61

FastBoy

mrbillydee

That's what I want to know.  It would be nice to have something that I could leave in there over the winter and not worry about.

rsmith

FYI, I believe one of the reasons NESBA doesn't allow Evans and Engine Ice is because of required cleanup time.  It is just as difficult to cleanup as standard antifreeze.  The club works hard to ensure the members get maximum track time.

If you have further questions contact the NESBA directors.
nesba@nesba.com

Take care,

chris_chops

Users of evans and engine ice,
    Even if CCS says it is legal, please do your fellow racers a favor and do not use it at the track.  The stuff is way to slick and difficult to clean up.  Even when they do clean it up, the area is slicker than the rest of the track afterwards and people still crash on it a couple of races later.  The next morning the dew will bring some more up and "I don't know what happened,  :o I just lost it practice this morning right where team engine ice's rider crashed yesterday."  If CCS says it is O.K. to ride without a helmet, would you?  Please don't answer that!

sdiver68

It's not that simple for those of us in the upper Mid-West and North.  Not using PG means risking severe engine damage when the temp drops to 25...or 18! like it was the first weekend at Gateway last year.

However, as soon as freezing temps are no longer in the equation (Mid-April?), please do change to water for those reasons.
MCRA Race School Instructor

chris_chops

After a day of racing I want to go home or back to the hotel as much as the next guy.  Although draining/filling coolant is a pain in the arse, that is what I do(I'm from chicago) when the mercury is in the danger zone.  My safety and yours should not be at the whim of others.  Slippery coolant should never be in a bike at the track.  I used to race in Glrra before the officials mandated bellypans, so I didn't use one.  This was totally legal!  When I threw my chain and holed my side cover I ruined three racers weekends in the braking zone behind me.  I felt like an idiot and I felt like a jerk.  Changed my whole attitude. Unfortunately, some people don't ever feel that way.  Even when they ruin other people's bikes and bodies over a ten minute procedure.

Matt Carr
GL Ex#150

I'm just trying to make the track a better place for all.  I don't want to fight, I'm just looking out for fellow racers.  On this site I don't add my two cents over every topic just to argue with people and cause trouble, I truly believe our sport can be safer than it currently is.  I understand that things are going to happen, but let's do everything we can to PREVENT mishaps, little injuries, and serious ones.  In fact, if it is cold down at gateway or wherever this year during CCS action,  I'll help you drain and fill your coolant.  I'll have plenty of time down at gateway because I won't have any money to race by that weekend.  

Super Dave

PG is basically like oil.  It's a mess to clean up.

What happens with Palmolive and water?  You're really not using much, so you'll have the similar results if you ran over water or water and Waterwetter.  

But, it's better than running over oil.
Super Dave

sdiver68

Matt,

I'm not trying to fight at all, I'll leave that to others.  One thing I like about this BBS over others is its mostly civil.  But does that mean we won't talk about disagreements, sometimes in a back and forth over several posts?  hell no!  We're racers, after all, and it takes someone with a fair amount of ego to risk life and limb just for the satisfaction of starting and ending in the same spot faster than others! ;)

Now, as I understand it, when you drain your coolant you are still leaving lots of water in the engine itself, in the tight cooling passages.  These are the same passages that can break and ruin an engine.  I'm not sure how draining your coolant, mostly out of the radiator and reserve tank, is going to prevent freezing.  I'm not saying it won't, looking for clarification on the subject.

MCRA Race School Instructor