Quick shifters?

Started by Scotty Ryan, May 14, 2005, 12:56:24 PM

Scotty Ryan

Are they Supersport legal? I know they are fine for AMA, but I don't want to have to switch back and forth for CCS and AMA.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

tzracer

Do you really need one?

I don't think they are really worth the added cost and complexity (just something else to break).
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Steviebee

once you have one.  you'll never go back !

so ive been told.

Scotty Ryan

The thing is, when I screw up and miss a shift cause I didn't un-crack the throttle enough I can see by my lap times that it is hurting me. And not only my lap times, but also my drive from turn to turn. I'm just trying to gain time everywhere and anywhere I can.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Steviebee

consider this.

Its another thing that might break.
Its also another thing you have to replace when you crash.

PJ

QuoteDo you really need one?

I don't think they are really worth the added cost and complexity (just something else to break).

An quick shifter failure is what caused Dan Bilansky to stall on the grid of the F-USA Thunderbike race at Road America. He won that race last year going away. I doubt the quick shifter won that race for him, but it certainly lost it for him this year. Plus it put him, and a bunch of other guys, in a very dangerous position.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Xian_13

QuoteThe thing is, when I screw up and miss a shift cause I didn't un-crack the throttle enough I can see by my lap times that it is hurting me. And not only my lap times, but also my drive from turn to turn. I'm just trying to gain time everywhere and anywhere I can.

Not sure if this helps...
And I am surely not an expert here.

However, I just can't shift fast using the throttle blip method. I have tried this time and time again in practice trying to get the gear.

Well this year I gave up...
I did, however, find a method that works great for me!
Keep in mind, I use GP shift pattern.
Instead of blipping the throttle with a loaded shift lever, I simply blip the clutch lever.
Guessing, I would say I pull the lever in about 1/2 (just to the point were the plates are starting to slip).
I hold the throttle, never lifting it and do load the shift lever a fraction of a sec. before my shift.

I am surprized how well this works for me.
There is no motor revving, as the clutches don't fully disengauge and the whole motion is so fast.

I do shift .5k proir to Redline, but I have always done this in the upper gears.

While I know this is a tangent of your question... It really seems to work well for me.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

cardzilla

I can manually quick shift as fast as the next guy, but an electronic quickshifter is a worthwhile investment.  I would estimate they save about .05sec on each shift.  If you're at a busy track that can be a lot.  You really can see the difference when you're neck and neck with someone on a straightaway.  You go from even to pulling on them with each shift.  
I wired in a manual override switch, that way if it fails, I can just switch back to the old way and not drop out of the race.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

QuoteInstead of blipping the throttle with a loaded shift lever, I simply blip the clutch lever.
Guessing, I would say I pull the lever in about 1/2 (just to the point were the plates are starting to slip).
I hold the throttle, never lifting it and do load the shift lever a fraction of a sec. before my shift.

I won't go into deep details, but a loaded shift lever has it's own mechanical issues.  If one pulls the clutch, it's slipping more than when the clutch lever is out.  The tach isn't going to keep up, but wear and other issues will.
Super Dave

Super Dave

I'll agree basically with Brian about the quick shifters.  Some do fail and cause more problems.  

However, if CCS rules for Supersport do not specifically say that you cannot use the quick shifter, you probably can.  
Super Dave

rotoboge

CCS allows the quick-shifters... I have used one now for two seasons, on two different bikes, and can say that it gives one an advantage of about a second on a track over 1.75 miles. Probably more for the lesser experienced racer I guess? ;)