SV 650 Problems.

Started by gpstar1, May 13, 2005, 08:33:21 AM

gpstar1

I have an 01 Sv 650 sbk and I am have some issues with it right now. I was racing at Summit Point in the GTL and when the race was over I came onto pit out and it just quit, so after that I had to adjust the idle higher and drain the bowls every time before I went out so it would fire back up. Once that was done it ran fine, just had to keep the idle at 3000 rpm to keep an idle.

I thought it was a carb issue, but we looked at the carbs and cleaned them out and everything thing checked out ok, but the bike still  does not want to run right. Did a compression test and all that other fun stuff and everything reads out good. The only thing I could think of that it might be is the ECU or (black box) thats on the subfame of the bike. Has anyone had a problem with theirs and how did the bike react when it went bad? If anyone else has a clue to what it might be i'm all up for sugestions. Thanks
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

tzracer

What do the plugs look like?

Might want to give the electrical system a check (wires, coils, etc). If you know another SV owner that would loan you a black box you could give it a try.

Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Al_Soran

Draining the carb bowls?????? Pull the carbs and check your float levels and needle valve that are controlled by the floats to ensure they aren't sticking, gummed up or bent. If the bowls over fill it'll leak out the overflow and flood the motor as well.

Good luck!

gpstar1

The plugs looked fine. They had a light grey color on them. We checked to float levels and eveything checked out ok, but I might want to double check. One thing I did notice is that the the guy that built the bike has the throtle position sensor disconected. I thought maybe that could be it, but I have ran the bike before without it hooked up an no problems. I will look into the carbs again to check the needle valve and float levels. Like I said, once I get the bike fired up its fine, I took at 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd place finishes on it like that. Thanks for the help. ;)
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

jenkins

water in the gas tank?????