I just received the following email supposedly from PayPal:

You have added plasmaseeler@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/f=ap_email

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

.... I did not authorize this account address and when I click on the PayPal link it takes me to a screen that says to click below to access the new web address.  

..... When I go to that screen it states that my account has been selected for routine security maintenance and asks me to resubmit my credit card info including accoutt number, expiration date and security codes on the reverse of the card.

I'M NOT DOING IT!  But I'm at a loss as to how to contact PayPal.  When I enter paypal.com it takes me to the above screen.  Could a hacker be in control of their website right now and redirecting traffic to his own site to collect credit card info?

Anyone else run into this recently?

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Dawn

Pay Pal e-mails will always address you by your first and last name as listed on the account.  If you don't see that, trash it right away.

Let me get their toll free number for you so you can call to be sure your account is OK.

Dawn

Dawn

Customer Service Center

PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you during the following times:

4:00 AM PDT to 10:00 PM PDT Monday through Friday
6:00 AM PDT to 8:00 PM PDT on Saturday and Sunday

Call us toll-free at: 1-888-221-1161

We may only discuss an account with the account-holder. Please have the following information available when you call:
Your telephone number
Your email address
The last 4 digits of your credit card or bank account registered with PayPal
For security reasons, we must verify the above details before discussing any account-specific information.

Burt Munro

Thanks Dawn!  I should have known that you would have the info at your fingertips based on the last couple of months for you! ;)

I closed everything down and then tried to re-enter paypal.com    Looks like it worked as I was able to log into my account that had my first and last name that would have only been available from a legitimate paypal source.  Clicked on the fraud section and forwarded the email to  spoof@paypal.com with the details.

Hope to hear something back from them soon.

Also wanted to alert anyone else out there in case their doing this as a blanket SPAM message.

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Eric Kelcher

Seems legit as it had my info in memory when I clicked on the link you provided. But i would do something about adding that Yahoo address to your account.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

ecumike

There are plenty of fake paypal emails going around. HOWEVER they are fairly easy to spot, b/c when you hover over the link in the email, or goto the link.. instead of going to paypal.com, the URL contains an IP address.

Always verify that if you click on a link to goto paypal, that you see HTTPS as the protocol, and paypal.com as the last part of the domain name.

251am

Here is another angle to be wary of; Square Trade mediations. Right now their links from their e-mails do not work. They want you to download ALL your e-bay history to them for "mediation" purposes. However, you would be sending that info. to an unsecure sight. The hackers and thieves are making it tough to trust this system anymore, at all. But where else will I unload a Bosch starter for a Chrysler while sitting in my underwear? :)  

Rick Beggs

send any funny or suspicious pay pal email to  spoof@paypal.com
they will tell u quickly if it is real
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

Jeff

Quotesend any funny or suspicious pay pal email to  spoof@paypal.com
they will tell u quickly if it is real

ebay is the same way (well, since paypal is owned by ebay, it makes sense) just fwd the email to spoof@ebay.com

But, it is B.S...  I'd rather them shut me down than for me to click on ANYTHING in a paypal email.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest