Should the AMA go with a spec tire?

Started by EX#996, May 08, 2005, 06:37:55 PM

EX#996

Since there is such good racing in the World Superbike series, do you think the AMA should go with a spec tire?

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Ridgeway

I understand the point about spec tires improving competetion between riders/bikes, but I think it could kill competetion amongst race tire manufacturers.

If all the major race series go to spec tires, where's the incentive for the manufacturers to innovate?  And what happens to the brands that are not spec in any series?  Would they continue to exist?

I would not be opposed to each manufacturer having to make the same tires available to all teams whether they are factory backed, satellite, or privateer.  Getting rid of the one-off "specials" that the top teams have access to should help level the playing field a bit.

In that scenario if one brand of tire seems to be significantly more capable, teams would tend to switch brands, forcing the less capable brands to innovate and try to leapfrog the current leader.

I think Q tires should/could be dropped as well.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

Baltobuell

Only if any AMA racer can, and has to, walk in and pick his tires off the shelf, No charge. drop off 8 take offs pick up 8, for free. Would make for better racing if everybody could afford the same tires.

Steviebee

I think anyone should have access to any of the tires.  

Weather its a dunlop michelin or pirelli.

Joe nobody should be able to get the same tire that Malidin or Duhamel gets.

It doesnt have to be one tire make,  but everyone should get the same dunlops  or the same pirellis.

whatever.

At least theres 7 factory bikes this year.

Super_KC124

The problem with everybody getting the same tire is who's gonna test tires to develope new compounds, tread design and so forth?

gma

bambam

i agree with ...  Steviebee Posted on:
I think anyone should have access to any of the tires. Wether its a dunlop, michelin, or pirelli.  

the factory teams have a great advantage with much deeper pockets and acess to better products than most any of us or any privateer could ever get. so why give them the tire advantage too? why should say ... jj roetlin who rides a suzuki "similar to mladin's or spies's" (very loosly spoken) not have access to the same tires? why should they get "special" tires? if they already have the best riders and the best bikes then why not share the tires?

in that aspect a spec tire has it's advantage. but i still dont like the idea.

so when does the prelli contract come up for renewal at wsb? or better yet when does one of the other manufacturers get a chance to be the tire?

Dawn

QuoteWho the fk is Willis?

One of the favorite saying of this guy....

;D

ecumike

I can't vote.. it gives an error when I try.  What's up with that?

Dawn

Don't know.  Super Dave has a problem with that too.

Sorry,

;)

speedster_1

No.  See how well it's work for WSB?  :P

Zac

No, AMA grids would shrink, and the other tire manufactuers would get creamed.

Look at Laguna last year.  Most of the AMA guys couldn't ride due to tire contract obligations, and the Pirelli guys couldn't afford the spec tires.

If the AMA went that way, the fast club guys that run a few AMA races a year would have to buy, learn, and get setup for the spec tire.  Most club guys that want to do an AMA race would then probably switch to whatever the spec tire is.  If you were the other tire manufactuers, and had no AMA riders and no fast expert club riders, what good is it to support racing at any level in the US?

I've always played around with the idea of a spec tire at the local club level, something really cheap and long lasting (Maxxis?), but it would never work.  No tire company offers race tires for every bike and wheel size out there.  No one from outside the local club would want to come in to race because they would have to learn a new tire.  No one from the local club would want to race elsewere because they would probably have to learn a different tire to be competitive.  It might work somewhere isolated like Hawaii...

-z.