One of those effen weeks

Started by Jeff, May 05, 2005, 06:24:18 AM

Jeff

Ever have one of those days/weeks?  The ups/downs of life...

So on Tuesday night I go to pull out the clutch on the new bike to do some work.  Well, one of the posts just spins...  So here I am, figuring that I've got a busted slipper clutch (brand new), and worse yet, it won't come off the bike.

I finally drill the head off the bolt and it comes out.  Looking at it, I'm relieved that I can fix it as the post is threaded and simply unscrewed from the base.  No problem.  Wed I take the post to a buddy who backs out the stud and I get a new bolt for it.

Head out to the garage and go to put the slipper clutch back together (which is an amazing contraption of springs/washers/ball bearings).  Well, you guessed it.  I shot a spring loaded spacer *SOMEWHERE* in Waukesha county.  Oddly enough, I instantly found the spring and the tiny C clip that holds it on, but the spacer is gone.  I look for about 30 mins and then give up to go back to my work, figuring I might find the spacer in the course of normal moving around the garage.

I then break the ONE rule I have about working with the clutch out.  I didn't block the oil sump.  Sure as !&%*& I drop a washer down into the oil sump! ARGH!!! So now I spend the next 1 1/2 hours removing the world's most difficult to install exhaust just to pull out the bazillion bolts and drop the oil pan to retrieve the washer.

I get my work done on the clutch side and reinstall the oil pan and call it a night.

I called Fred from Yoyodyne who will overnight pri-1 ship me the spacer I need, but it just SUCKS that I've made 2 hours of work into a 3 day 10 hour marathon project.

Ugh...  I'd ask 'what else', but that's a taboo I simply can't touch...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Deep breath, now go stick your head out the door, and scream.  ;D Doesn't that feel better?  :P
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

QuoteDeep breath, now go stick your head out the door, and scream.  ;D Doesn't that feel better?  :P

whew... Thanks Alexa.  I feel better, but the rest of my office just soiled themselves...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Quotewhew... Thanks Alexa.  I feel better, but the rest of my office just soiled themselves...

LOL  ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Dawn

Quotewhew... Thanks Alexa.  I feel better, but the rest of my office just soiled themselves...

Whaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa!!!!!!!    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

Clay

Is the clip you dropped steel?  I dropped one of those little bitty ball bearings down into the oil pan from my clutch.  I was fretting as well when my mechanic came over with the little telescopic magnets and had it out in about 30 seconds.  :P

Scott

Oh sure, now you tell him about the little bitty magnet after he spends three days getting the pan off!

Zac

Dry clutches are our friends  ;)

-z.

Jeff

The washer I dropped was steel, but the way that the oil sump strainer sits in the RR, I don't think I could have gotten it out.  Plus, I didn't have a telescopic magnet.

The spacer is aluminum or some other lightweight stuff...  And I'll surely find it after the new one arrives...

But hey, the sun is shining, so I've got that going for me...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

K3 Chris Onwiler

About 10 minutes later, I'd have had the bodywork off, battery out, and been shaking the motorcycle upside down.  I've actually done this.  But that's just me.... ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

To rattle the washer from its safe haven in the oil pan to the transmission or crank area?  No thanks...  8)
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Clay

Well, at least you got it out.  See, there's always a silver lining.  :P

NightHeat

;D  Don't feel bad, several of my few minute jobs have turned into complete disasters.

Xian_13

Wow...
This has made my week seem so much better in Hind sight ;D

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

K3 Chris Onwiler

Grattan, 40 minutes until my next race, Ex500 with a cylinder head full of pea gravel and fouled plugs.  Bodywork and tank off, bike resting on handlebars and subframe, and me underneath it with the air hose from the tire guy....
I made the start!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Jeff

I'm afraid to ask, but how does one get a cylinder head full of pea-gravel?
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

EX#996

QuoteI'm afraid to ask, but how does one get a cylinder head full of pea-gravel?

I'm thinking a trip into the kitty litter with flat slides.....

We'll see how close I am.

;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

K3 Chris Onwiler

The pea gravel was on the outside of the head, where the plugs screw in.  The whole valley was full of the stuff.  The plugs were fouled, but I didn't dare try to take them out with all that gravel in there.
I could tell you a horrific story about gravel in flatslides, but it would be too painful for me, and I'm having a pretty good day.  (Considering that I'm not going to Blackhawk.... :'()