News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Trailering question

Started by Jeff, May 04, 2005, 04:53:33 AM

Jeff

I've got this 32' mobile mortgage (RV) that's 8.5' wide.

My trailer is 23' long and is 7' wide.

I figured the trailer would be long enough that I should be able to see it.  I figured wrong...

I can see when I turn, and can manage quite well, but I have no view of it if I try to change lanes which is an extremely scary prospect.  Anybody out there have a CDL or any experience with this type of stuff?  Any comments on what I can do other than buy a new trailer?

I do have the backup camera, but since the monitor is mounted in the sun visor, I can't practically use it all the time...  Should work for passing, but I'm still a bit freaked out...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

H-man

Hey Jeff!

I'm no expert, but I won't let a little thing like that stop me from giving an opinion anywy ;D

How far do the side mirrors of your RV extend?  I'm thinking that you'd need your mirrors to be at least 6" in width and the inside edge of the mirrors to be at least 6" from the side windows.

Chances are this is already the case, right? :-/

On to my next idea.  Mounting a convex miror high on the RV (so it won't interfere with much) and at the rear, shoould allow you to see the trailer out your windows.

I can't wait to see you new "home" at G-man and get your and Jen's opinion about it.  It's a class C, right?

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

EmerWil

Most RV/Trailer retailers sell trailer mirrors that will give you the ability to see the trailer.  Some models just attach to you current side mirror while others have complete support bars and mount seperately from your OEM side mirrors.

http://www.etrailer.com/cipa/

tzracer

I have driven Mark Stiles motorhome (40')towing a 7x16 trailer. I had no trouble seeing the trailer. His mirrors are quite wide (are your as wide as they can be set - when I drove a truck, I always set them at max width - much easier to see what is behind you), and have a convex mirror on the bottom. If you don't have convex mirrors, get a set.

When I drove a truck, I set the mirrors to give a good view of what is around me while sitting in a normal driving position ( I like to see the back corners of the box while sitting in a normal driving position - I am quite particular about mirror position, result of driving a truck). When changing lanes lanes I would move my head around (quite a bit - forward, back, left'right) to see as much of my blind spot as possible. Put on your signal (yes, some a-holes will speed up to get in front of the slow motorhome), I tend to wiggle a little before I change lanes to scare any cars hiding in my blind spot to move out of the way, then change lanes.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Dawn

QuoteMost RV/Trailer retailers sell trailer mirrors that will give you the ability to see the trailer.  Some models just attach to you current side mirror while others have complete support bars and mount seperately from your OEM side mirrors.

http://www.etrailer.com/cipa/

However, his motorhome is already 8' 5" wide with mirrors extended beyond that.  This can get hairy at times when traveling, especially down construction zones (yes I've seen our mirror's only inches from another truck).

Jeff, I'll talk to Paul tonight to see if he has any ideas.

Dawn  

Jeff

Thanks everyone.

Yes, the mirrors extend quite a bit already.  There is no 'looking out the windows' to see anything as the body is wider than the cab.

I'm sure I can get around okay for now, but am thinking I might just have to go to an 8.5' trailer.  (hey Dawn, still got yours?!?).

Brian, etc, please swing by at BHF and see if you can't give me some pointers in person...  

Until then, if you see me towing, give me room!  ;D

Here's a pic to give you perspective on the Mirrors..

Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Well there's your problem. Retract that side before you roll for easier viewing of the trailer.  ;D

I'm feelin like such a smart a$$ this morning.  ;)

I found the carpet in the living room, (thus the giddiness) which means that the leathers are now only in the workroom. Woohoo!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

H-man

Oooo... ahhhhhh....  Pretty.

The RV looks good too  ;)
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Zac

I have the same issue on a smaller scale - I can hardly see our 6x12 trailer behind our class B conversion van.  I've just learned where the back end is.  When the sun is at the right angle you can use the shadows to gauge as you learn.

The bigger problem is backing up without seeing the trailer.  By the time the trailer comes into view in the mirror it is already needs a big correction.

-z.

Jeff

Actually backing up won't be a problem because of the camera.  I guess I'm just a bit freaked out that I can't see it.

I did have the same issue towing a 5x8 trailer behind my conversion van way back when, but we're talking 3x the length here...  The whole concept of being 57' from nose to tail is a new one to me...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tzracer

Jeff, tough without sitting in the RV, I would try to have the black arms connected to the doors to be perpendicular to the door. You may actually be able to see the right side mirror through the windshield, hard to tell from your picture.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Jeff

Brian, good call.  I haven't tried to push the mirror ARMS out, just adjust the mirrors.  I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Mirrors need to be further out.
Super Dave

OmniGLH

Hey Jeff if you're looking for a trailer, my buddy Mike is selling the 8.5x24 we used last year.  It's 1 year old (we bought it new), double axle, ramp door, painted and has lights.

Shoot me an email or give me a call (815)790-9898 if you might be interested.. I can put you in touch with him.  We got a pretty good deal on it when we bought it (thanks Super Dave!) and Mike is pretty reasonable.

Otherwise - you don't have to SEE the trailer, IMO.  You'll just kinda learn where it's at.  Truckers usually flash their lights when you're clear... eventually, you'll get a "feel" for when you're ok to move over.

Jim
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Baltobuell

The pic looks like the mirrors are angled back so put them straight out to start. If all else fails, loop a big weak spring off the top corner (curb feeler type of thing only up high) paint it orange, so you can see that. I don't think it's safe at all to not be able to see the end and it's too pretty to wreck it.

Jeff

Jim, I'm gonna try the mirror trick tonight.  If that fails, I have another prospective deal with a trade, but if all else falls through we'll talk.

As for truckers flashing, they're the least of my worry.  It's the little buggers who insist on shooting around you on the right when all you want to do is move out of the way...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

H-man

QuoteBrian, good call.  I haven't tried to push the mirror ARMS out, just adjust the mirrors.  I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home.

Doh!  :P :-*
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

Dawn

QuoteDoh!  :P :-*

They're probably fixed....

They can swing to lay flat against the cab, but they probably won't swing out any farther.

Dawn

Zac

QuoteIt's the little buggers who insist on shooting around you on the right when all you want to do is move out of the way...

Yeah, but it that case I think you'll win.  :-X

-z.

Jeff

QuoteYeah, but it that case I think you'll win.  :-X

-z.

Nobody wins when insurance companies get involved...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

OmniGLH

QuoteAs for truckers flashing, they're the least of my worry.  It's the little buggers who insist on shooting around you on the right when all you want to do is move out of the way...

Blah.. F'em.  Laws of physics state you're going to win.

;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

EX#996

QuoteIf all else fails, loop a big weak spring off the top corner (curb feeler type of thing only up high) paint it orange, so you can see that. I don't think it's safe at all to not be able to see the end and it's too pretty to wreck it.

This is the best suggestion yet.  That way you know EXACTLY where the end of your trailer is.....

... or get a 8.5' trailer   ;D

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Jeff

Well, the mirrors are a no go.  They move, but they are notched in the position they're at, and when I rotate them outward, the mirror housing is such that the mirror can't be adjusted to see anything.

For this weekend I think I'll see how it goes and then make the determination of going to an 8.5' trailer or putting a lighted outrigger on...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Baltobuell

The other thought is you're going to still need to see it at night. Add a lightbox to each side, or those 4" single post turnsignal/marker lights.

Jeff

QuoteThe other thought is you're going to still need to see it at night. Add a lightbox to each side, or those 4" single post turnsignal/marker lights.

That's exactly what I was thinking...  If I don't work out an 8.5' trailer, I'll run a square tube across the top-back of the trailer and add the 4" box lights on the ends of it.  

Might not be pretty, but it will be functional and safe.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Scott

Jeff,

What if you just made an extension on the back of the trailer.  Like if you mounted a piece of pipe horizontally at the top rear corner of your trailer that was ten inches long and painted it flourescent orange.  If you put one on each side they would stick out one inch further than your motorhome and at least give you a reference as to where the back of the trailer is.  

Jeff

Scott, that's basically what I'm considering.  Except I'm looking at hanging a light from it so it would be useful at night.  Again, that's if I don't work something out with a wider trailer.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Eric Kelcher

Jeff this may be a hinderance

http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm

I know a lot of people pay no attention to some of this with an RV but seems like you need an overwidth permit past 8'
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Jeff

Interesting Eric...  Thanks for the heads up.  
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest