News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A newbie, how much prep is really needed?

Started by lbk, November 22, 2002, 09:57:49 AM

TZDeSioux

QuoteNow all you need is a bike that comes with a rider. :P ;D

LOL  ;D ;D ;D that one actually made me laugh out loud.. Did I ever tell you that youre a bigger prick than I ever imagined?  ;D ;D

Gixxer124

QuoteLOL  ;D ;D ;D that one actually made me laugh out loud.. Did I ever tell you that youre a bigger prick than I ever imagined?  ;D ;D

And the crowd goes wild. AAAHHHHH!!!!  Brian, I would expect the same from you. ;D

sdiver68

QuoteThanks again! One other question I was reading the rules, and they have you safety wire a lot of bolts. Do you just drill a hole through the corner of the bolt, or is there a better way to secure these things?

Ummm, WERA makes you safety wire lots of bolts...but I thought CCS the only requirements were the oil drain plug, the oil fill cap, and the oil filter???
MCRA Race School Instructor

tshort

Saftey wiring:  check out this site http://www.lrrsracing.com/RuleBook/lockwire.htm

Also, I believe the WERA rulebook has some detailed info on it.

Safety wiring will become a religion once you get into it - when you are doing 140 down a front straight, you will feel confident that your brake calipers will not come off when you hit the front brakes because you know you torqued and wired the damn things yourself.

As Yogi Berra once said, "90% of going fast is is half mental."
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tshort

Oh, and what would I spend my money on?  Some of the best advice I got so far came from the race school instructor, who advised us to forget about pipes and all the "go fast" mods until we've spent as much money as we can tolerate on protecting the nut that holds the clipons - that'd be your own self.

The best set of leathers you can afford, the best helmet, boots and gloves - all these will give  you the peace of mind you need to build your skills (see Yogi quote above).
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Eric Kelcher

yes the actual safety wire requirements from CCS are few but are where most problems seem to stem which are oil leaks/spills/fixture failures so the rules show that with hardened sidecovers and oil related safety wire.
The other things are mos often tampered with after going through tech so if you were going to require them then it would need to be checked prior to practice/race.

I do personally add the wheels and other brake/safety components to my list of items to safety wire but that is for my own piece of mine.
I do wonder what the thought behind requiring exhaust headers to be safetywired when a belly pan will contain an exhaust system even easier/better than oil hich is what they are designed for.

The steering dampner is not required either because there are many tracks that do not induce a wobble or bike that would ever need one even if it was MX track. Other thought behind the steering dampner is that there is no proof of function.

I think a bit of the rules come from a legally defensible position for the sanctioning body how can you require something, check it, and then allow someone to tamper with it (ie cut wire to install new wheels, brake pads, etc)? What is wired is normally not touched again in a weekend. I think it does come down to a level a self responsiblity we are grown-ups and to a certain degree we need to be able to responsible dor our own safety (and bolt tightening)

Of course this is my own opinion and should not be taken as any official position

oh yeah here is link to CCS rulebook the LRRS book is specfic to the NE region
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition