News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A newbie, how much prep is really needed?

Started by lbk, November 22, 2002, 09:57:49 AM

lbk

Thanks again everyone. The bike does already have a steering damper so I'm set there, and actually the pads have already been replaced with race pads on the front. I did that before I was ever going to take it to the track, after the really bad brake fade I had on my old bike.

The suspension, at this point I am at least going to ride the bike at a track day and see how it feels with it being adjusted. Then will look into options there. Tires will be replaced after that too, since they will be toast. The case covers I'll put on over the winter, they are needed. I found the CCS rule book and was looking through there they specifically mention those.

All the safety wiring I'll have to do over the winter, I already have water wetter, and that is probably what I'll start with.

KBOlsen

KEWL!  Dave - Let us know if you need a hand with anything... if I can tear John away from the 400cc YSR he's building in the living room!

It's gonna be SOO much fun having someone else to "play" with out there next year.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

lbk

Trust me Kim I can't wait, now convince him to leave one of the bikes at home so I can go to Daytona.  ;D

khanson

Regarding case covers......

I'm a dealer of Woodcraft products and will work a deal with you on case covers and whatever else you may want from Woodcraft.

Plain and simple...their products are reasonably priced and work very well.

Give me a holler when you are ready to do something.  I will help you anyway I can in an effort to bring more people into the sport. :)

Kevin
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

TZDeSioux

QuoteRegarding case covers......

I'm a dealer of Woodcraft products and will work a deal with you on case covers and whatever else you may want from Woodcraft.

Plain and simple...their products are reasonably priced and work very well.

Give me a holler when you are ready to do something.  I will help you anyway I can in an effort to bring more people into the sport. :)

Kevin

Kevin,
Hook it up hook it up! I need some of them fine woodcraft TZ250 cilp ons with spare bars. I'll take em whenever you can get them

Eric Kelcher

If you are having a problem with brake fade "most" times it is fluid/line related. If the pads were worn out they transfer more heat into the fluid and then you end up with brake fluid boil. I would bleed the brake system at least twice a year and add good brake fluid not to open a discussion on it but Valvoline makes a good DOT 4 that is cheap and easily obtained. Do NOT use DOT 5 (it is not compatiable with DOT 4 components)but you can use DOT 5.1 (but I never have).

This would be my personal order of race prepping bike in order of importance to get on track
side covers (if required for bike IE Suz, Yam)
Water wetter
safety wire
Belly pan (if required IE 4 stroke)
Tires
SS Brake lines/new fluid
spare gearing for stock chain (if good chain/sprockets otherwise buy 520 now)
Bodywork
fairing bracket
Have stock supsension set up by suspension pro
steering dampner (or replace stock one)
spare foot pegs, clipons, windscreen(this is only really a needed spare if you go to FAST tracks like Daytona, TWS, RA)
clip ons
rearsets
respring/revalve suspension or purchase aftermarket
tire warmers
spare wheels
exhaust (full or bolt on depending on bike and $)
rejet or adjust FI
purchase 520 chain conversion/gearing
engine work
rain tires (spare just in case you need them and have not had to buy them yet)

Now the non-bike things I would recomend
folding chair
cooler w/ lots of space for drinks, munchies, etc
canopy
fan, heater
tools (specialty chain breaker, safety wire, steering stem, swingarm, other assorted not always needed items)
trailer

oops obvisouly if you can afford to go all the way down there are steps you would eliminate
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

h00ktern

Quote...Tires will be replaced after that too, since they will be toast.

Dude, you need to swap sides of the fence here. Your thought process should be "What can I do to increase my odds while at the track?"

Trying to save 20 bucks on tire swaps is not going to pay dividends. Buy some new rubber, run your track day on fresh goo, and then when your done, put the street slicks back on.

You will be better served on new 'anything' (incl. a good sport tire) than trying to wring out the last miles of a worn out ring while at the track.

What are you going to accomplish in the end using your current philosophy? Wear out an old and worn street tire of neglible value while likely riding harder and faster than you have on the street, all to save fresh new rubber for the ride home and storage?

Do it the other way. Please. You're more likely to enjoy the experience, bring the bike home in one piece, and save bucks in the long run.

Safe trips,
Dave
Y2K Aprilia RSV R mille

lbk

QuoteDude, you need to swap sides of the fence here. Your thought process should be "What can I do to increase my odds while at the track?"

Trying to save 20 bucks on tire swaps is not going to pay dividends. Buy some new rubber, run your track day on fresh goo, and then when your done, put the street slicks back on.

You will be better served on new 'anything' (incl. a good sport tire) than trying to wring out the last miles of a worn out ring while at the track.

What are you going to accomplish in the end using your current philosophy? Wear out an old and worn street tire of neglible value while likely riding harder and faster than you have on the street, all to save fresh new rubber for the ride home and storage?

Do it the other way. Please. You're more likely to enjoy the experience, bring the bike home in one piece, and save bucks in the long run.

Safe trips,
Dave

Take it easy man, I never said the tire was worn. Maybe I should've said it differently my idea of a tire being toast is when it is worn too much to start a track day. Which is typically 80% of the tread. They are Dunlop D207's which I've ridden on before and they do fine. After the track day I plan on replacing them.

I'm not a cheap skate I'm spending plent of money on this bike, but NO I'm not just going to spend endless money before my skills even neccesitate it. Jeez, did all you guys just start out riding like Hayden or what?

There is a learning curve involved I'm at the very beginning of that learning curve. I think there is plenty for me to learn before dropping thousands of dollars on every mod made before I've even ridden the bike on the track to see what I think it needs.

I was seeking advice those who have info have provided it. I appreciate everyones opinions, but man LAY OFF will ya. Christ one person makes a comment about bringing "My sharkskinned stock suspension bike" to a race. You come at me acting like I'm trying to save $20. Not the case by far! I just want to spend the money I have wisely on things that will truly help me, as I gain the knowledge needed to take advantage of.

You don't need carbon fiber brake pads, if you're not late braking into turns at warp speed. My point was just to get an idea of what it takes to GET STARTED! Sorry this gets to me a little since I am new, and it is just suprising to me that soo many people are so critical without even knowing the situation.

TZDeSioux

lbk... Don't even sweat it. Do the basic things that will get you past tech and go from there. I showed up to race school and my first race with a TZ250 and found out how inadequate I was for the bike. You have plenty of time to learn and buy the things you need. I think you have enough information now that you should be pretty prepared to start racing. Hope to see you out there next year.  :)

lbk

Thanks Super_Duck, and everyone else I do appreciate it, and there is a lot of good information about what I need in here. Example the case covers.

Not to mention people offering price breaks on parts, I got my sharkskinz from someone on this board too, and they were a good deal.

I do appreciate it, and don't want to step on any veteran races toes, since I will likely seek their advice in the future.

Thanks again! One other question I was reading the rules, and they have you safety wire a lot of bolts. Do you just drill a hole through the corner of the bolt, or is there a better way to secure these things?

TZDeSioux

QuoteOne other question I was reading the rules, and they have you safety wire a lot of bolts. Do you just drill a hole through the corner of the bolt, or is there a better way to secure these things?

Drilling bolts is alot easier if you have a drill press. Otherwise.. get lots of drill bits for stainless steel and drill away. I believe Lockhart phillips makes jigs to make drilling easier. I normally drill the corner of a bolt but I've seen others drill straight across the head of the bolt. Either way will work. Thank God my new bike comes drilled :)

Gixxer124

QuoteThank God my new bike comes drilled :)

Now all you need is a bike that comes with a rider. :P ;D