News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Scanner suggestions

Started by tzracer, April 26, 2005, 07:01:06 AM

tzracer

Dawn, thanks for the info, that is the model at which I was looking.

QuoteThat just slays me... "Fleet Farm" Down here its called "Farm & Fleet"

Mark, both stores exist. Of course TSC is closer to me than either Fleet Farm or Farm & Fleet.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Mark Bernard

Yea... I saw the Fleet Farm in Plymouth. I just chuckle every time I see it.  :D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Burt Munro

Do a search on e-bay for bc60xlt

There are at least 30 of them listed - mostly the price varies by the type of headset(s) that come with them.  There's one on there at $22.50 with about 8 hrs. to go. Doesn't have the AC adapter for it but you probably wouldn't use that much at the track anyway.  Also doesn't come with a headphone.

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

StumpysWife

QuoteDo a search on e-bay for bc60xlt

Yup, that's mine.  I don't have earphones or anything like that.  Stumpy's dad has one ear bud he keeps in with the same scanner in a bag so his hands are free.  

Heather

EmerWil

radio shack currently has the Pro-83 on sale for $79.99.  That's the perfect scanner for the track.  It is small, has rubber grips on the side and has an awesome orange backlight for night use.

You do not need a 200-channel trunking scanner.  

I also suggest you get the NIMH rechargeable batteries and a recharger adapter (either vehicle or AC).  This way you can be constantly charging the batteries while they're inside the scanner and you never have to worry about carrying replacement batteries.  Plus the NMIH batteries don't develop a 'memory block' like their old sibling NiCD.

good luck!

oh..and get the extended warranty. it's 39 some dollars for 3 years..will pay for itself the first time you need it.

SVbadguy

Check out the classifieds section of //www.radioreference.com.  

This site also has a huge frequency database for the entire country and some foreign countries.  I haven't checked but you may be able to find some track freqs in the database or you can add any you have, something I need to do.

IMO, It's the best scanner site on the net.

pmoravek

I just picked up one of those PRO-83's at Radio Shack. It seems like its pretty easy to use. I really wanted a simple one because I'm not super familiar with the workings of a radio/scanner or any of that kind of thing....unlike Travis, who will rewire his scanner to pickup on any Al Qaida radio traffic at the track.

;D

EmerWil

hey PMO...

check this out...

for a couple dollars you can get a interface that goes between your scanner and your laptop computer.  

Along with a copy of Police Call (a radio shack book that has every scanner freq broken up by US region) and the CD in the back you can program your scanner using your laptop.

Pretty cool eh? You use the CD in the back of Police Call and select the frequencies you want.  The CD then uses a program to dump the frequencies to the scanner.  :)

EmerWil

some local freq's for Summit include:

Skywarn spotter network (severe weather)
      147.300mhz

and NOAA is on either 162.550mhz or 162.475mhz

Oh and btw...Avoid downtown Winchester at all costs! they are in the middle of Apple Blossom Festival!!

Burt Munro

Hey EmerWil....

Local police in my area are using a newer system that I don't think I can pick up with a simple scanner.

Info I picked up from the radio reference site above gave me this info:

System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface  

Do you know if you need a trunking system to pick up calls from this type of system?

Rick

EmerWil

racer..

where are you and I can check my "sources"

or specifically what dept?

Burt Munro

Suburb west of St. Louis, MO - St. Charles County

Specifically City of St. Charles PD and City of St. Peters PD seem to use similar systems based on info from the radioreference.com website.

Thanks!

Rick