News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

So when are WE going ice racing?

Started by thetireguy, November 22, 2002, 06:49:02 AM

thetireguy

Got the season itch thing going when I see the lakes up here in Minnesota starting to skin over with ice. Looking to have/make some time to ride somewhere with some of you folks. Let me know when and where?

The 3 hour ice race at Ft. Atkinson, at lake Koshkonong going to happen? Did I spell that wrong?

Later, Tom

Super Dave

Yeah, ice!

Have no bike.  Just need ice and bike.  Probably need to buy new boots, too.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Steel Shoe Fund 3 hr. ice endurance

Sunday  Jan. 19, 2003  Gimmer's Sunset Marina
Lake Koshkonong,  Ft. Atkinson, WI

Race at noon

Classes:
Lightweight:  125 - 200cc
Middle: 201 - 350cc
Open:  351cc and up

Entry Fee: $100 per team of 2 -4 riders

NO quads, mini-bikes or scooters allowed
AMA ice race fender rules will apply

More info at 262-754-0686 or steelshoe@wi.rr.com
Race day conditions: 920-563-5702

Come on down Tom, bring lots O' them Minnesota boys.

gpconcepts

Sounds like fun. But it's in the mid 80's here in CA. No ice for me. I guess I'll have to put on the sun screen and go dirtbiking...

Protein Filled

Hey Tommy,

Ready when you are. As soon as the ice can hold the
bikes well be out there.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I still have to re-stud the XR. Carter got a TTR now too.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

TZDeSioux

QuoteHey Tommy,

Ready when you are. As soon as the ice can hold the
bikes well be out there.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I still have to re-stud the XR. Carter got a TTR now too.

You rich sabadam beaches got winter toys too.... damn!

Dawn

QuoteYeah, ice!

Probably need to buy new boots, too.

All you need is a pair of Sorrel's (or perhaps thats just us).

Dawn   ;)

TZDeSioux

QuoteAll you need is a pair of Sorrel's (or perhaps thats just us).

Dawn   ;)

We used to wear sorrels when went snowboarding way back in the days.... Sorrels rule!

thetireguy

QuoteNO quads, mini-bikes or scooters allowed
AMA ice race fender rules will apply
Hey Thanks for the info, got it on the scedule with a must do note!!

I like the no scooter rule . Last time I rode this race about 5 or 6 years ago might have been longer? I tagged the handle bar of some dude on a vespa or something. He went in to a huge tank slapper and biffed hard, I felt so bad, he was fine. In fact when I approached him to say I'm sorry he told me he was getting bored and thought falling down was kinda fun??

I'll drag down as many as I can.
Later , TOM

andy342

Dave... why don't you stud up your Kaw triple?  There are kendas that will fit right on.

??? ;D

I've got a Honda Ascot 500 all set up except I haven't made fenders yet.  

Super Dave

I'd have to have a triple that worked.  If I can, I'd like to have one running for Daytona.

Now, what are Sorrells?  Is it some kind of French foot thingie?
Super Dave

OmniGLH

Hey Tom you sell a set that'll fit on my '01 750?

;)  :D

If not, then I guess no ice racing for me.  I studded a set of MX tires myself a few years ago and it SUCKED.  (Back when DanO and I would ride year-round on our MX bikes)  Never doing THAT again....
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

J-Janisch

Come on Dave you live in WI and you don't know wat "Sorrells" are.  There a winter everyday walking around in the snow boot.  
I know I'll be at the 3-hr indurance race, that things a blast!!!!  Hopefully this year there is enough ice.  There will be an article about it in cyclenews once it happens, (writen by Scott Rouseau, (on my team).  Hope to see all you guys there!!!! ;D

merge

Anyone just going to have a track on the ice for fun.  I know we will be playing on our track and on the ice. Good Practice for next year.

Super Dave

QuoteSounds like fun. But it's in the mid 80's here in CA. No ice for me. I guess I'll have to put on the sun screen and go dirtbiking...

Sorry to hear that.  Ice riding is probably the most fun riding anyone can have.  Honestly...

And I still don't know what Sorrell's are...

I'm originally from Nebraska, where it gets colder, more wet heavy snow, which is followed by a case of heat stroke as the temperatures go through the roof, along with the humidity.

Jesse, Scott's gonna ride with you?  How does he do?  Isn't he kind of a newbie at Dirt Track?
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteAnd I still don't know what Sorrell's are...

Dave:

Go to a Fleet Farm or Farm & Fleet in your area and you will be able to find out what Sorrell's are.  I'm sure you have seen them.  They are the boots with the felt liner, rubber on the bottom and leather on the top.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

Is it felt or is it wool?

I've always used a set of old USAF issue Mukaluks.  Really warm, but my set has finally just fallen apart.  With the liner being wool, it didn't matter if they were soaking wet.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Hey I have wanted to do this for some time. Give me some details on bike prep, type bike etc.
I have three bikes in the garage now a TZ250 with a Honda flat track motor, a XL 600 motard/dirt tracker, and a RM125.
I would assume one of the "dirt" bikes? what about riding gear? I have snow mobile gear and ski gear along with roadrace leathers (I would hate to ruin them though) and dirt bike jersies and pants. Helmet do you need an insulated snowmobile helmet or would a dirt bike helmet fit the bill?

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Bam55

So is my litte 97' KX 80 not legal for the "big 3 or 6 or 20 Hour" race?  
 Oh well, me and Russ Voight both only have 80's so I guess I can only provide an invite to you all to come up (Wausau,WI) by us and ride our ice track when our lakes freeze we are building a road course. We built a track in one of his fields that has 11 turns and is roughly three quarters of a mile long and is going to be plowed all winter also.
  And to all the  California guys, an ice slide at speed is alot more simular than your dirt biking slide is to a roadrace bike with hot tires!! (Plus it's the only way to practice when snow banks are taller than your house!)

J-Janisch

Jesse, Scott's gonna ride with you?  How does he do?  Isn't he kind of a newbie at Dirt Track?[/quote]

Yep this will be our 2nd year as teammates, this year we're going to win!!
He goes really good.  
Kind of I think.  He does a lot of riding for the new bikes for cyclenews.  He rode with us two years ago which was our first time and we ended up 3rd, we went to have fun and then we found out we were actually in the running to win we started shaking our gas can to get it to go faster, (should have purchased a quick fill).  

Super Dave

Met him a couple of times at the post race interview at Daytona.  Seems like a pretty nice guy.  Especially for a moto journalist;  they're usually kind of weird.
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteSo is my litte 97' KX 80 not legal for the "big 3 or 6 or 20 Hour" race?  
 Oh well, me and Russ Voight both only have 80's so I guess I can only provide an invite to you all to come up (Wausau,WI) by us and ride our ice track when our lakes freeze we are building a road course. We built a track in one of his fields that has 11 turns and is roughly three quarters of a mile long and is going to be plowed all winter also.
  And to all the  California guys, an ice slide at speed is alot more simular than your dirt biking slide is to a roadrace bike with hot tires!! (Plus it's the only way to practice when snow banks are taller than your house!)

When you have that set up, please let us know.  We are only about an hour away.  Perhaps we will bring our little CR80 so your 80's will have some competition.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Bam55

The field track, or as we like to call it, "RVR Race Way" Is up and working and Russ an I are having some personal grudges >:( settled again on Fri., the day after the Turkey deal. Should be fun, the track is dirt with no jumps, we decided as Road Racers, if we wish to fly we will buy plane tickets! :P Besides Russ has already ran me over after I passed him so I can't imagine it's to far out for him to try and land a bike on my head!! :( No Jumps Russ!

merge

Yes the track should be good to go. I am planning to flood it one of these days hopefully to get some ice down. (that way maybe when PJ falls down he will slide out of the way so I dont run him over again) ;D.
And so we can use studs without loosing them all. 8)If there was a jump I may try to land on your head. :P It is all in fun.

Super Dave

Just a$$ pack him rather than running him over.  He'll be more surprised.
Super Dave

Dawn

QuoteJust a$$ pack him rather than running him over.  He'll be more surprised.

OWCH!   :o

Eddie#200