News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Engine Removal and Installation Stand Interest

Started by dano6, April 20, 2005, 12:10:27 PM

tzracer

QuoteYea it must be nice to have a motor you can just grab and hold easily. Four strokes don't come out quite as easily.

Dan
AFM#844

4 stroke guys have been telling me for years that 4 strokes are much less work than a 2 stroke  ;)
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Clay

Not to discourage you, but in my situation I'd be looking for something to not have to "hang" the bike.  I already do that and simply lower the bike to the ground.  That's fine and dandy in the garage, but you can't exactly do that at the track should you need to swap an engine.  :(

dano6

Well what this engine stand helps eliminate is the need to pull your forks and have a bunch of friends help and so on. Actually for a GSXR this stand works perfectly at the track. All you do is put the bike on both stands. Lower the front stand to where it binds. Setup of the engine stand to hold the motor at that position. Unbolt the motor. Lift front stand back up. Push motor on wheeled cart out from under frame. To reinstall set motor on stand, wheel under frame on both stands. Lower front stand and bolt up. Make sure you get chain over sprocket first. There is no trying to move frame around or anything else to line bolt holes up. Just a simple bolt back into frame everything is already in real close alignment. As I said I can do a complete swap in around and hour and a half by myself. For the Honda, all that would be required is a piece of wood that would hold up the rear of the frame and act as the rear stand due to the swingarm being attached to the motor and a rear stand not working to hold the frame up after the engine is unbolted. I have seen race teams swap motors out in less time, but there are 3 guys working on it. It takes a bunch of people to hold the motor and frame at the right angles to get the bolts into the motor. All this stand does it make it a one man job, and make it very simple. I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying one. As a racer I hate having to spend a whole bunch time and bugging my friends who are working on their own bikes, to swap out motors.

Thanks
Dan
AFM#844

Clay

Changing my engine is a one man job.   :P  I do see a benefit for it with compatible models though.  :)