News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

250 class in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic

Started by roma258, August 07, 2014, 04:35:49 PM

roma258

I had a thought of getting a Kawi 250 for some fun, cheap racing but it looks like the class hasn't really taken off in my region (I'm in Philly). Searched around and not really clear why the grids down south are full, but NJMP and Summit have 1 or 2 riders. Is there some backstory here? Any thoughts of trying to make it happen going forward? I know that the 300s coming out now are probably gonna FUBAR the class anyway, but thought I'd ask.

britx303

Yeah i here ya! I have a 250 i setup for racing too,but gave up on it when i saw the lack of participation,besides way down south,which has a good grid size in WERA.

CHIRINOM

Hey there,

250s are great fun and can definitely be the most bang for your buck if the series / rules are done up properly. We here in Florida have grids of 20 riders regularly. Keeping them un modified is what brings most of us to the class. We have very close machine parity and it is super cheap when running an un modified engine on pump gas. It is really any ones race.

While we do race within CCS, we have formed our own AMA (non sanctioning club). I believe that this has been the reason for our success. We developed a strict rule set by which all of our members have agreed to abide by. As it turns out 98% of the riders are for a limited 250cc rule structure.

While it entails some work and a lot of collaboration with fellow (like minded) riders at the race track, online, and at track days, it has been most worth it. I would start by approaching your local club promoter and proposing a change to a more strict rule structure or a separate class like WERA SSE. While the CCS rules are open to 300 and mods, CCS had a decent rule set back in 2011 when the class was first proposed, which limited machine mods (http://www.ccsracing.us/news/old/2011news.html).

Something that I would recommend running past them where everyone would win, is to split the 2 existing classes up (modified up to 300 ///// and un modified up to 250). Keep the ULTB as the builders class and GTUL (origionally created in Florida as Florida Spec) as a 250 Super Sport class.

Check out our pages

Good luck!

www.specclassracing.com
www.facebook.com/specclassracing

Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

britx303

There was 5 guys at VIR  last weekend for WERA. 3 Expert and 2 Novice. Obvious huge difference down south. Its a shame really, i think it would be an absolute blast as long as there was more than a 1 hand count of guys. If i was to get started again knowing what i know now, I would get an SV.

CHIRINOM

SVs are cool but still not the bang for the buck that the 250s provide. We can easily go over 4 weekends on a set of tires and tires are less expensive.

Don't give up. The interest is there, just have to tap into it.
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

LWT Racer

It cost just as much or more to get a race ready ninja 250 VS SV650.

$2-$2.5k gets you decent SV.   It's $3k+ for ninja.

You can also go a full season on a set of tires on SV. On the flip side you can also burn out a set in 1 day. I've done both.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

CHIRINOM

Quote from: Swiest on August 12, 2014, 10:13:34 AM
It cost just as much or more to get a race ready ninja 250 VS SV650.

$2-$2.5k gets you decent SV.   It's $3k+ for ninja.

You can also go a full season on a set of tires on SV. On the flip side you can also burn out a set in 1 day. I've done both.

Not exactly. Race ready 2nd gen 250s can be picked for about the same. I have under $2,000 in mine and it is competitive. 1st gens can be made competitive with 17" wheels and you can pick those up for under $1,000 all day long. I prefer buying rebuilt.

What does a set of good race DOTs cost for the SV? The 4 race weekends that I am referring to is running up front. No burning these out in a weekend,

Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

britx303

It is funny,i do find more good sv650's that are a good bit less then the ex's. The 250's just arent a big thing up here,and at this point its all 100 lb 14 year olds with a far better power to weight than me on a 250.That being said,i have a major respect for those young guys pinning it the way they do!!! At this point,im not holding out for racing the 250's,unfortunatly.

MAZZ77X

Our 250 is for sale soon! Great bike, actually Anthony's favorite. 

250's and small bikes in General will grow with the changes coming!

Dragon

Quote from: MAZZ77X on August 13, 2014, 05:09:01 PM
Our 250 is for sale soon! Great bike, actually Anthony's favorite. 

250's and small bikes in General will grow with the changes coming!

What about his SV?

Gino230

What is the top speed of the 250 ninja? I was wondering because in some other regions / organizations they have a mini class on the big track. Lots of guys with converted Dirt bikes and Honda Groms. They top out about 60mph though.

Maybe if we can convince CCS FL that the mini class could start in the second wave behind the Ninja 250s that would be fun. There are alot of pit bikes and scooters that are at the track anyway, and maybe even the wives and girlfriends would take up the challenge?

Check this out:

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

CHIRINOM

And that is a reason that there are not more Ninja 250 racers in other regions. 

The 250's are perfectly capable of speeds of 108+ MPH as shown at the Daytona ROC. There are actually numerous capable wives and girl friends racing all classes of motorcycles. There are also very capable young guns.

Thank you for clarifying this Gino.

I agree that there does need to be more mini road racing series. Check this out, John Long showed me this when we were reminiscing the days when we rode our Yamaha YSR50's at our local go kart track.  Hopefully someone introduces a series for these, http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/overview/id/55 They look like a blast to ride! That was some of the most fun on two wheels.

Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com