New Racer Info

Started by newjack, October 09, 2002, 05:57:19 PM

newjack

Hi All!!

I'm hoping to start racing next year and am looking for any and all sugestions, tips, comments, etc... possible.  I am also thinking about begining my "career" with a 95 f3. Does anyone out there think that I should start with something less? (SV650 etc...)
     I know I want to race, but I am still nervous about starting up. That's why I need advice!  
      Thanks everybody.

newjack

Nexus

i would say either bike is fine.

just race what you can afford to race and a bike you're comfortable with.

Nexus.

newjack

Thanks Nexus!

Any sugestions on a racing school on the Mid-Atlantic Series?  I was thinking either the MARRC school (Summit Point) or Cornerspeed (VIR). Any other ideas?

newjack

TZDeSioux

You should start racing on a 1998 Yamaha TZ250. It is very fast and very light. Look in the classifieds.. there is one for sale with tons of spares. It is the perfect bike for you!  :)

tigerblade

QuoteYou should start racing on a 1998 Yamaha TZ250. It is very fast and very light. Look in the classifieds.. there is one for sale with tons of spares. It is the perfect bike for you!  :)

LOL, it's a good thing you don't have a Gixxer 1000 for sale...  ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

sportbikepete

I've heard good things about Cornerspeed and my buddy is taking it on nov 4th. So I can let you know what he thought after then.

am125ike

QuoteYou should start racing on a 1998 Yamaha TZ250. It is very fast and very light. Look in the classifieds.. there is one for sale with tons of spares. It is the perfect bike for you!  :)

NO shame !!!

newjack

I might be a new racer, but not naive!!!  Think I'll pass on the TZ250!!!

To eveyone else (not trying to move their products) thanks for the useful input!  Please keep'em coming!

Thanks SBPETE, I'll take a closer look at Cornerspeed.

NJ

Cycleaddict

Either bike will work. The only diffrence is the classes you will be running. If you could swing it try to go the sv route. The lightweight classes are a bit easier to cut your teeth on because the changes in equipment are less radical.

A new racer needs to draw on others knowledge. You won't find many vets running f3's that you can ask about setups and such anymore. It will just be a bit easier to group up with others runnng similar equipmet on the SV.

Other then that run what makes you happy and don't ride over your head.

TZDeSioux

QuoteNO shame !!!

;D I do have shame.. I'm just tactless sometimes.. :)

tbb10785

The SV and F3 have way to much power. A MZ Skorpion with about 50hp would really teach you about carrying corner speed.  Plus, it doesn't burn up tires or go through brake pads very often.

Oh, I have one for sale with lots of spare in the ads section  ;-)

Really it is a nice way to start because the power doesn't complicant the learning process.  

Bruce "with no shame"   ;D

pmoravek

An SV is an excellent choice. So is an FZR400.
Handles great, easy on tires & brakes, just change the oil and put gas in her! It would also be much easier to find parts for than an MZ.
...and try to find an SV for under 3 grand.

(by the way...I have an FZR for about $2250)
.......and I also have NO SHAME!!!