VIR starters/officials

Started by FullMoonRacing, October 07, 2002, 05:28:58 AM

FullMoonRacing

What was up with the "ref in training" throwing wrong flags this past weekend??  CCS has to tell these guys what a white flag means, what a checkered means.  That totally f***ed up a lot of guys!!!  If they can't handle the job, they shouldn't be out there.

THE_D.O.C.

hey wait a minute. i think i won middleweight supersport expert. all the fast guys pulled in and i completed the final lap!!!  ;D

FullMoonRacing

..Was a weird situation, no one knew what to do!  I heard from the guy that pitted next to us that the same guy did a similar "flag confusion" thing on Saturday!

TightSqueeze

QuoteWhat was up with the "ref in training" throwing wrong flags this past weekend??  CCS has to tell these guys what a white flag means, what a checkered means.  That totally f***ed up a lot of guys!!!  If they can't handle the job, they shouldn't be out there.

Just so the facts aren't ignored(I know, that would mess up your rant, but you're making it sound like there were mulitple instances.)

On lap 5 of a 7 lap race, the white flag was displayed.  It was displayed again during lap 6, and misinterpreted by most of the leading racers to be the checker.  Of the top 5, 4 pulled in, thinking the race was complete.

According to the Rulebook, the white flag is a 'courtesy' flag, as opposed to an operational one.  So, it is still the responsibility of the rider to determine when the race is final.

Ok, rant on...

TightSqueeze

Quotehey wait a minute. i think i won middleweight supersport expert. all the fast guys pulled in and i completed the final lap!!!  ;D

Nope.  Technically, Mark Sherwood did.

THE_D.O.C.

QuoteNope.  Technically, Mark Sherwood did.

joke steve joke. loosen up that jockstrap.

FullMoonRacing

QuoteJust so the facts aren't ignored(I know, that would mess up your rant, but you're making it sound like there were mulitple instances.)

On lap 5 of a 7 lap race, the white flag was displayed.  It was displayed again during lap 6, and misinterpreted by most of the leading racers to be the checker.  Of the top 5, 4 pulled in, thinking the race was complete.

According to the Rulebook, the white flag is a 'courtesy' flag, as opposed to an operational one.  So, it is still the responsibility of the rider to determine when the race is final.

Ok, rant on...

I know what the CCS Party Line is...
...but I still maintain that there shouldn't be track officials out there governing the races that don't know what they're doing and/or sending bad communications to the riders.  

THE_D.O.C.

yep. happens all the time though. there is this one time that this official named larry manor................................................................................. and this other time that larry manor.............................................

r6_philly

One other thing about this weekend's VIR races. The announcement of the races.

If I start to suit up when I hear the first call, I would have just gotten one leg into my suit when I hear the second call, and the third call would come just as I start to put the back protectors in.

Then we rush to pit out and sit in the sun for 5 minutes overheating the bike waiting for the 5 board.

I end up just start to get ready when the race before mine finishes one lap. But then it kind of sucks when they red flag or have to do pick up, because I would have my suit/helmet/gloves on and there will be another 15 minutes before my warm up lap. And it really really really hard to judge when to turn the warmers on.

Mongrel

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you should race until you see the checkered.  I have never mistaken a white flag for a checker.  I have run a few 11-lap races that should have been 10-lap sprint races.

bfkidd

I don't know what happened in that race. But, I would like to say that racing the Southeast and then racing some mid-atlantic/Florida events, I much prefer the Southeast starter and flagger over any other. Maybe it's just me. But they don't burn out your clutch at the start ala Mr. Summit Point, and they don't drop the flag before you even know what's going on like in Florida. I also get off the line better than anyone when they start the race so maybe it's just me. But I like it that way!

Chuck

ecumike

Sorry, a bit off topic...
bfkidd/Chuck, you the one usually pitting with Chris #32, from Kawi/Suziki Durham?

Sorry.. just figured out a name to a face... now back to our regularly scheduled topic...