air filter question

Started by exfix, May 30, 2012, 07:50:00 PM

exfix

I need a clarification. If I desnorkel the SV650 stock filter but do not enlarge the opening is this SS legal?  I need to keep up with the bored out superbikes in the SS class.
CCS #44
SV650 SS

Eric Kelcher

Snorkelectomy or any other increase in the stock air box inlet is not legal.
This would apply to SVs, R6s, RRs or any other machine that has a restrictor built into the air box either as a snorkel or as part of airfilter that mounts to inlet of air box.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

exfix

Thanks for the quick response. I will have to save this filter for SB.
CCS #44
SV650 SS

Xian_13

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on May 30, 2012, 08:38:33 PM
Snorkelectomy or any other increase in the stock air box inlet is not legal.
This would apply to SVs, R6s, RRs or any other machine that has a restrictor built into the air box either as a snorkel or as part of airfilter that mounts to inlet of air box.

This rule needs to be spelled out better.
Or removed completely.

The rule book states,
Section 6.1.2.
D. Original equipment air box must remain as produced. Air filters mustbe used but may be Aftermarket units. Aftermarket air filters arerestricted to units available via normal commercial channels anddesigned to mount in the stock location for that specific modelmachine. Aftermarket air filter units that replace part of the OEM. airbox are required to maintain the original size and number of air inletopenings as the stock unit.
No where does it state "Snorkels" must remain, unless the air filter is part of the "Air box"
By definition, if the "Air-filter" is part of the "Air box" it must retain size and openings.

In the case of the R6R, the "Air Filter" is inside the air box, thus NOT a component of making the "Air Box".
To further the point of CCS's secret ruling on this... NO AFTERMARKET Air filter passes the Post-race tech.
AMA Supersport rules require a "Stock air box, as produced by the OEM, and a "Air-filter" must be used.

In my opinion, this rule needs to be removed or be reworded.
Either redefine the air filter as part of the air box and remove "but may be Aftermarket units" or remove all the other non-defined rules that only get defined at post race tech.

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Eric Kelcher

Xian, suggested wording?

The snorkel is the inlet into the airbox for a 2nd gen SV removing it makes a bigger inlet.

The R6 air filter most certainly is the inlet into the airbox from the ram air tubes. Take the air I'd off bike and look at the opening with and without airfilter installed.

For the R6 I know the BMC street airfilter is same inlet opening as stock.  The restricttionon this model airfilter is removable, the top hat must be installed.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Xian_13

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on May 31, 2012, 10:32:39 AM
Xian, suggested wording?

The snorkel is the inlet into the airbox for a 2nd gen SV removing it makes a bigger inlet.

The R6 air filter most certainly is the inlet into the airbox from the ram air tubes. Take the air I'd off bike and look at the opening with and without airfilter installed.

For the R6 I know the BMC street airfilter is same inlet opening as stock.  The restricttionon this model airfilter is removable, the top hat must be installed.

Suggested wording,
"Air filter must be use, aftermarket filters are allow" (same as AMA SS)
or
"Aftermarket filters are NOT allow"
The conditions are what cause the grey areas.

"The R6 air filter most certainly is the inlet into the airbox from the ram air tubes"

The "Inlet" is the opening for which the air enters the "Air box". That would be the inlet opening through the frame.
The air filter is completely enclose by the air box and the "Snorkel" of the air filter is still larger then the inlet of the air box.

Stating the filter is the inlet, could be said about any air box, as the air must pass through it... giving it the properties of a filter.

The "Snorkel' on an R6 is part of the filter. It attaches to the filter and not the air box.
Claiming the "snorkel" opening as larger then stock would also leave the door open for every dimension of an aftermarket filter to comply.
If that is the intent of the rule, no filter could match stock...
Hence, why even say aftermarket filters are allowed, if they can't pass the rules?

And if CCS clearly has a rule against one brand of bike, why do the rules not say this?

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

HerbigCBR

Ok, so I am assuming exfix is talking about a first gen sv650...?

As the rulebook states "Aftermarket air filter units that replace part of the OEM airbox are required to maintain the original size and number of air inlet openings as the stock unit."

So what does "original size" mean? Diameter, length, or both?

In the case of the first gen SV, this means that no aftermarket filters that replace OEM would be legal because none of them have a snorkel that I am aware of. The BMC "street" unit has the same diameter inlet as the stock filter, but it does not have a snorkel. The K&N has a larger diameter inlet, so its not legal.

Eric said the BMC was legal years ago, but maybe its not anymore??? http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,8329.msg72274.html#msg72274

Exfix - That being said; I have been post-race tech'd several times for supersport (first-gen sv650), and they only ever checked the diameter of the inlet with a go / no-go gage :cheers:
Jared Herbig - CCS #323
Thanks to: Spears Racing - TSE