Heartland Park? Topeka?

Started by SliderPhoto, March 08, 2003, 07:30:17 AM

SliderPhoto

Anyone been there? What's the track like?

sdiver68

Went to a AMA superbike round there back in '90 or so.  Decent facilities, nice layout, but apparently the track surface went to hell.  That, and a few walls to close for modern cycle racing sensibilities.

Hopefully, the new owner can fix those things, it has the potential to be a nice track.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Protein Filled

I raced there 2 years ago with CRA. The layout they used was tons of fun, but the track was full of sealer strips, cement patches and bumps, which made it real bad to ride in. I loved the layout though.

I hope they repave it and we get to go down there again. It needs a little bit of safety improvements, but no worse then BHF.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

SliderPhoto

QuoteI raced there 2 years ago with CRA. The layout they used was tons of fun, but the track was full of sealer strips, cement patches and bumps, which made it real bad to ride in. I loved the layout though.

I hope they repave it and we get to go down there again. It needs a little bit of safety improvements, but no worse then BHF.

Real bad? Hmmm...

Were the sealer strips as bad as at Brainerd?

Protein Filled

Jack,

Here is a picture from the CRA website that may help descibe it better:

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

SliderPhoto

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out my schedule for this season and there's a conflict in July.

It looks like it could be fun. Did they use the GP 2.5 configuration?
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/images/hrtpark/hp.gif

Is there elevation changes?

Eddie#200

QuoteThanks! I'm trying to figure out my schedule for this season and there's a conflict in July.

Is there elevation changes?

Yes... there are a few places where the track changes elevation.  There is a turn in the back section that leads into the back straight that you need to lean forward on the tank to keep the front end down.  The back straight then goes over the tunnel that leads you into the infeild.  As you go over the tunnel the track makes a hump so you can't see the turn at the end of the straight till you just about get there.  After that the track winds it's way back to the front straight with a few tight turns (one is a left carousel) and goes down in elevation till you get to the drag strip that is the front straight...fun track!

Eddie

tigerblade

I did STAR school at Heartland Park last June.  I loved the layout, but like stated above the surface was pretty bad.  The dragstrip/main straight was pretty slick and there were all kinds of tar strips/concrete patches/bumps everywhere else.  But it was lots of fun!   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

tigerblade

BTW, what organization races there?  That's one of the closest tracks to me (3 hrs from here).  
Younger Oil Racing

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well my bet is Heartland Park will be redone since teh new owner also owns BHF's ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

SliderPhoto

QuoteBTW, what organization races there?  That's one of the closest tracks to me (3 hrs from here).  

NESBA (nesba.com) is a trackday org and has a weekend there July 5-6. Unfortunately CCS is at MAM that weekend.

I'm planning on going to MAM for CCS May 23-25, so we'll see. July is a long way off. :)

tigerblade

I do hope Heartland Park gets repaved.  I'll be at MAM in early July too.  I'm going to try to make all CCS and CRA events there.  
Younger Oil Racing

Super Dave

Repave?  The county and the city own's the track.  Ray Irwin owns the right to put on races and make a profit.  That's kind of how it works.  

The sealer strips are bad.  As it gets hot, which is does, and the humidity goes up, the track expands and pushes out the sealer.  So, you get these little bumps.

The drag strip is covered with VHT, which is used to give drag racers better traction.  However, when it's cooler, it can be a little slick.  In the rain...it IS ice.  There is a small area down the middle that isn't too bad, but it also has a paint stripe down the middle.

The layout is kind of cool.  Enough elevation change to make the track challenging.  I compare it favorably to Sears Point and Mid-Ohio.

http://groups.msn.com/VisionsportsRidingSchools/racingwithsuperdave.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=13
Super Dave

SliderPhoto

Hey Dave, is Topeka on your tape I have?

Super Dave

Yeah, it is.  It's the one with all the bumps and wallows.  I think that's right before Blackhawk.  Quite a few laps I think.
Super Dave

SliderPhoto

Yeah, kind of thought it was. I watched it, but now I'll have to go back and watch it again. :)

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteRepave?  The county and the city own's the track.  Ray Irwin owns the right to put on races and make a profit.  That's kind of how it works.  http://groups.msn.com/VisionsportsRidingSchools/racingwithsuperdave.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=13

Oops. I thought he bought the track. ;D ;D ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

the_weggie_man

Dave is right that the city owns the property and Ray Irwin bought the rights to run the facilities and promote races there. Who is responsible for improvements???  Don't know what their contract reads.

GSXR RACER MIKE

I have raced at Heartland Park a few times and think that the layout of the track is fun to race. I agree that the crack sealer strips all over the track really take away from the enjoyment of racing there. There are a couple of concrete berms that need some protection from bikes running into them also. The issue with the drag-strip section is a reality and can be very slick on those spring time 38* mornings and when it rains, though I don't know what they could do about it.
     Even though Heartland Park is the farthest track from me in the Midwest Region, I would really like to race there again with CCS, that is if they were to resurface the track and protect the concrete walls a little better.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Gixxer124

Bring back Heartland Park! Plueeese! ;D