News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ever put vinyl stickers/lettering on a trailer?

Started by ecumike, March 03, 2003, 12:52:23 PM

ecumike

I got a pretty good price quote on a 6' vinyl sticker for my sponsor's logo for each side of my trailer.
They quoted $100 for installation, which is almost half of the total price.

I was wondering if anyone has ever 'installed' vinyl stickers/lettering/etc. on the outside of a trailer, and how difficult it is?

From what I understand, getting the sticker to stick nice and neat over the rivets is where the 'work' is.

Should I pay the $100 or do it myself?... can't I just put the stickers on, then cut a circle around the rivet, out of the sticker, and then press it nice and neat against the trailer?

Any advice or feedback is appreciated!

RC51Racer

You need to talk to my brother, he use to do that for a living.  I think he goes by roadracer797 on here, or at least it's something like that.  If he sees this post, I'm sure he'll put a reply on too.....

Mike

MZGirl

Yep.  Coincidentally, I did that just this past weekend.

<--- Put this team logo on each side of our 6 x 10 enclosed trailer.  Luckily my husband was painting his R6 red the week before, so I had him paint the red rings at the same time.  We plotted the bullseye pattern on E-sized paper and used that as a template.  To give you an idea of the size, the outer ring is 32" in diameter.

I purchased 4" black vinyl letters from http://www.mrletter.com .  They have over 5000 true-type fonts (ours is a simple stencil font).  They ship the stickers the same day you order.  For 2 sets of 4" letters of "Precision Strike Racing" it came to $25 total with shipping.

The letters come just as you spell them out on the order, with a paper backing and an opaque sheet on top.  So no worrying about centering and getting everything on the same line.  I just taped them up on the trailer, then peeled off the paper backing 2 letters at a time.  The MRLetter folks ship a plastic wedge thingy to flatten everything down with, which makes it easy to eliminate air bubbles.  After all the letters are stuck on you simply remove the opaque top sheet and you're done.  The only thing that made it a pain was it was a bit windy out when I did it.

I just cut around the rivets of the trailer and touched up with black paint.  The whole thing looks really snappy.  Those coming to the Firebird race next week will get to see it.  You can't miss our trailer now!

I highly recommend doing it this way.  Cheaper, and it looks really good.

rmahr137

the guy who put my stickers on my trailer took the screws out (the trailer didn't have riverts), then put on the sticker, and then put the screws back in.  I watched part of it, and was glad i paid someone else to do it!

ecumike

hmmm.. MZ, that's what i was thinking.. stick it on over the rivets, then cut out the rivets and smooth it down around them.

The only other thing is that I'm talking about a 6' x 1.5' sponsor logo for each side.  But I can get friends to help hold it up while I undo the backing/stick it on there.

ROD - how big was your sticker/logo?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Anyone else?

Super Dave

I don't have time to get them on myself, and I'm worried I'll screw it up.

I've got an six by two logo on my trailer.  They do put it over the screws.  They tell me I can do it, but I have them do it.  The trick is supposed to be cutting the logo where the aluminum sheet ends.  Use tape or what ever to help you out.  
Super Dave

stumpy

I've worked at a sign shop for 7 years and now I am part owner. So I have a little experience...Acually I do it 8 hrs a day! ::) What I do with rivets is go right over them like their not there, and then go back and poke a couple of holes around the rivet, then push down with a squeegie around it. Some people use water and a dab of soap but that takes a little longer to dry. If you can wait until Blackhawk I'd be glad to help you. If anybody wants prices on big trailer logos e-mail me! I'll give great racer discounts! 8) I was thinking of making a bunch of #'s for the races to have on hand for people who didnt get a number yet??   Hope this helps!
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

Cant wait for Tricktape to get me my trailer decals. ;D I used to decal conversion vans (Genevas/FOntanas/Delavans) along with install running boards, wheels, wiring, painting, you name it, I've done it on a conversion.;D;D Wish I had some pics of the trucks I built.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

ecumike

Cool Stumpy thanks for the tips.

I'm in NC, so Blackhawk isn't quite on my side of town ;)

Yea, someone else said to soak the trailer and letters/sticker in soapy solution so you can lay and move them around to place them perfectly w/o worrying about them sticking wrong.

Sounds like a good idea, but would they dry and still be sticky and hold on the trailer?

stumpy

I would put about 6 drops of dawn dish soap in a squirt bottle and just mist the trailer with the solution. Make sure not to get water on the paper backing! You will be able to move it around a bit, Then Squeegie from the middle out getting all the air and water out. Then let dry, sun or a heat gun can speed the process then its ready to go!
www.teamstumpyracing.com

ecumike

QuoteI...Make sure not to get water on the paper backing!...

Hmmm.. that may be tough, I'd hate to remove the letters off the backing, since they're gonna be all lined up and everything.. but I'll give it a shot.

stumpy

Measure where you want the decal, Then put a mark on the sides of the decal, and two marks on the trailer, take the backing paper off, mist the trailer and apply, Does that make sense ???
You might need a couple of beers before hand to calm the nerves and NEVER I mean NEVER have your wife or girlfreind help! It will end in WW3
Trust me ;D
www.teamstumpyracing.com