Ducati 749 classes

Started by jfboothe, November 11, 2013, 08:07:01 AM

roadracer162

The reality is the air cooled Ducati is legal for the class. The rules were not bent to allow it in lightweight. What the rules were not specific about is the original 1200cc limit was probably meant for the alley motor.

Now I agree as lightweight should not be the dumping ground for older middleweight bikes but then should also go for the Lightweight bikes(SV) should not be dumped into ultralight. Horsepower cannot be used as the downright comparison, it just doesn't compute as the same. And air cooled 800 with 87 HP is not the same as a air cooled 1000 with 90 HP, is not the same as a liquid cooled twin with 90 HP.

If you want racing equal then have spec class racing. If you want racing far by cost then have CRT rules.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

apriliaman

You know what class never changes? Unlimited!! Bring any bike you want any size engine.Well except supersport.
Lets say you got a 1998 Yamaha R1 1000cc you'll never see them putting it in middleweight or heavyweight class.You would be lucky if you can win a 600 race with that bike even though it is strong in the straights.How about a 1996 GSXR 750 same thing.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

The idea was to allow anyone with any bike a chance to race and compete. This is meant more for the modern day machine, mainly in SS to race with other modern day models. If Lightweight didnt have the 1200 limit where would the Harley race?

The GP and GT class allows more modifications and the older machinery will then have a better chance of fitting in with those modifications. Not everyone can continue to update machinery every few years.

Mark, I do have that 1999 and 2000 R1 and it is not that fast on the top end. The R1 is about as fast as a good 750 at best. Typically machinery in the '90s are not old enough to give a certain dispensation to race against smaller bikes that are just as fast. The SV has been around for a long time even though the model is still around in modern day production.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

smokey999

Its the way racing goes, time moves along and bikes become outdated. I don't mind taking my 749 out there against the high dollar bikes. I personally consider it a challenge to figure out how to build a better bike without all the expensive pieces. I have an R engine in my 749 off of ebay that fell off a truck. I don't even have ohlins suspension. Now i have made modifications to my bike to help me out at daytona and will build more things to help me out for Daytona next year. I figure I can make some gains in the aero department when an air cooled bimota can pull me after I slingshot around on the high side. The only place where horsepower matters is Daytona. Everywhere else, the SV's run in Thunderbike and pull off the wins and podiums plenty of times. Also, I think its been said but this is racing. There are rules in place to help you build the bike you want to race. Notice how i didn't say to keep it fair. This is why I'm going to run this season with my 749 then look for an 848 or go really stupid and try racing an MV F3. All in all, race what you want to race, if you don't spend a lot of money and beat the guys spending big bucks. smile and nod when you get your trophy. A prime example of that was the ASRA Expert Thunderbike podium. 3rd place, a $8k 749 built with cast off parts from nascar country, 2nd place Bimota 1100 (go ahead and look that up, and he only beat me by a wheel), and 1st place, Ducati 749R (carbon wheels, ohlins everything, and plenty of other goodies, probably triple my bike). I don't care, all it tells me is I need to head back to charlotte and get back to work.
SE CCS/ASRA #51 Ducati 749

facebook.com/th3racing